Tx and Rx combinations

• Thread starter captainfuzzyface
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainfuzzyface

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I use a Sanwa MT.S for my Short Course Truck, but I'm getting an old 4wd Maverick Strada going again and I want to run it from the same controller. I've found a couple of new, but unused receivers, but I can't get them to bind to the MT.S.

Should I be able to bind a Sanwa MT.S Tx to a Absima R3FS Rx or a Spektrum SR215 Rx?

They are all 2.4ghz but I can't find anything else common in terms of spec between them. Do manufacturers limit which models each can bind with ? Thanks.

Martin

you can't just bind any 2.4 ghz radio to any 2.4 ghz receiver . almost all radios will show what rx they can bind to...
so unless your rx are any of these they wont bind to that radio. do you see your now owned rx?.
●COMPATIBLE RECEIVER; RX-380, RX-381, RX-451, RX-451R, RX-461, RX-462, RX-471,
RX-472, RX-481, RX-482

[SSL(SANWA SYNCHRONIZES LINK) SYSTEM​

you can't just bind any 2.4 ghz radio to any 2.4 ghz receiver . almost all radios will show what rx they can bind to...
so unless your rx are any of these they wont bind to that radio. do you see your now owned rx?.
●COMPATIBLE RECEIVER; RX-380, RX-381, RX-451, RX-451R, RX-461, RX-462, RX-471,
RX-472, RX-481, RX-482

[SSL(SANWA SYNCHRONIZES LINK) SYSTEM​

The Rx that came with the Tx is the RX-482, which works just fine. I've borrowed the others to see if they would work. I couldn't get them to, hence the question. I was kinda hoping that there would be industry standards that meant you could mix and match, but I guess not. Looks like I'm buying a new Rx. :-(

I had hoped that the list of "compatible" Rxs was the list "by that manufacturer". Ones that probably allowed the extra functionality, such as the SSL. Ho hum.

Yeah, to be expected. Wouldn't want things to be in the best interest for the consumer, would we? :mad:
It is my hope that some day this changes. I am getting tired of having to buy new radios because rx's for my old favorites are no longer made. Which is also why I just can't bring myself to buy an expensive Tx just to see it become useless some day. I love my cheapo Flysky GT3 and I just buy a receiver for it every time I buy a car.

It is my hope that some day this changes. I am getting tired of having to buy new radios because rx's for my old favorites are no longer made. Which is also why I just can't bring myself to buy an expensive Tx just to see it become useless some day. I love my cheapo Flysky GT3 and I just buy a receiver for it every time I buy a car.
My +10 year old 3 channel Flysky GT3 is still in used today. Has a ton of programming functions and works great! While they're producing newer models, the old models are still being made. Tried and true! $40 for a transmitter and about $12 for a receiver! Goes to prove that hobby grade rc doesn't have to be expensive!

My +10 year old 3 channel Flysky GT3 is still in used today. Has a ton of programming functions and works great! While they're producing newer models, the old models are still being made. Tried and true! $40 for a transmitter and about $12 for a receiver! Goes to prove that hobby grade rc doesn't have to be expensive!
Yeah, it's great. I have the B version. Have you modded yours? I also have a GT5 I bought for crawlers and scale trucks in case I need a winch, 4ws, along with other stuff. Never had a problem with FlySky.

Yeah, it's great. I have the B version. Have you modded yours? I also have a GT5 I bought for crawlers and scale trucks in case I need a winch, 4ws, along with other stuff. Never had a problem with FlySky.
I also have the B version. The only mod I've done is removing the battery tray, soldering on a T connector to the power wires, and hooking it up to a 3s 900mAh lipo.

I use a Sanwa MT.S for my Short Course Truck, but I'm getting an old 4wd Maverick Strada going again and I want to run it from the same controller. I've found a couple of new, but unused receivers, but I can't get them to bind to the MT.S.

Should I be able to bind a Sanwa MT.S Tx to a Absima R3FS Rx or a Spektrum SR215 Rx?

They are all 2.4ghz but I can't find anything else common in terms of spec between them. Do manufacturers limit which models each can bind with ? Thanks.

Martin
HERE is a RX-482 clone that will work with anything that binds to an RX-482. You wont find anything cheaper that I'm aware of and works as good as the real deal.

I love my GT3B. I use it on my cheap basher kits. I have a Sanwa MT-4S also but when I dont care about precision I just use the 3B. I have every mod possible done to it including the stuff to flash open source software to it.

I also have the B version. The only mod I've done is removing the battery tray, soldering on a T connector to the power wires, and hooking it up to a 3s 900mAh lipo.
HERE is a 2200mAh 3S lipo that will fit in the battery compartment of the GT3b incase you want a bigger lipo.

I don't have mine modded at all yet. I use Panasonic Eneloop Pros in mine and rarely have to charge them. I have been thinking of doing the firmware mod to unlock everything, but haven't needed to yet.

HERE is a 2200mAh 3S lipo that will fit in the battery compartment of the GT3b incase you want a bigger lipo.
Thanks for the info! The very old 900mAh works fine and seems to run forever between charges, so I'm good.

The open source firmware that I tried I didnt care for but then again I did that over a decade ago. Hopefully its a lot better now. I should revisit that. I ended up flashing my original firmware back to it cuz the open source back then at that time was not very developed yet and I've never really went back and tried to redo it cuz like you I havent had a real reason to.

Sounds like a plan. :)

HERE is a RX-482 clone that will work with anything that binds to an RX-482. You wont find anything cheaper that I'm aware of and works as good as the real deal.

I love my GT3B. I use it on my cheap basher kits. I have a Sanwa MT-4S also but when I dont care about precision I just use the 3B. I have every mod possible done to it including the stuff to flash open source software to it.

Thanks, just bought the Sanwa compatible Rx as it's half the price. :)

I'd be interested in learning about modding, especially open source stuff as I'm a bit of a techy at heart and also fully support open source.

I'd be interested in learning about modding, especially open source stuff as I'm a bit of a techy at heart and also fully support open source.
There are lots of videos on YT on how to do it. You have to open the housing and do some light soldering, but nothing too crazy.

Thanks, just bought the Sanwa compatible Rx as it's half the price. :)
What compatible RX did you find for $25? I need to know cuz I own a Sanwa too and I thought the $50RXs where the cheapest available. :)

There used to be a website called OverkillRC that made all the parts and their own version of the open source software but it looks like they went under in 2016/2017. :(

Theres still youtube videos out there though on how to do the lipo mod, bearing mod, polarization mod for the LCD screen. I think thats most of the mods or at least the ones I can think of.

What compatible RX did you find for $25? I need to know cuz I own a Sanwa too and I thought the $50RXs where the cheapest available. :)

There used to be a website called OverkillRC that made all the parts and their own version of the open source software but it looks like they went under in 2016/2017. :(

Theres still youtube videos out there though on how to do the lipo mod, bearing mod, polarization mod for the LCD screen. I think thats most of the mods or at least the ones I can think of.
I bought the Sanwa compatible Rx on eBay. I'm in the UK and it was £30. Over £60 for the Sanwa version.

I bought the Sanwa compatible Rx on eBay. I'm in the UK and it was £30. Over £60 for the Sanwa version.
Ahhh ok, The cheapest RX-482 clones here on ebay are $55+USD thats why I pointed that one out but I didnt realize you were in the UK. Cheers mate! :cheers:

Back