trying to revive an old Traxxas...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
2012-12-31_18-01-45_365.jpg

I don't think the tx or rx is any good its very glitchy and the futaba esc is either stuck full speed forward or full speed reverse.

That's an old timer, do you know what year its from?
It's amazing how far a long today's RC's have come.

I bought it new when I was in high-school so its gotta be about 25 years old. I got the instructions somewhere should be a date on it. I remember wanting it because it did wheelies so easily.

I may have to stick the mechanical speed controller back in it.

1/10 monster trucks from the 80's are puny compared to 1/10 monster trucks of today.

I had Tamiya grasshoppers and I thought the oil filled shocks were the coolest thing ever. I'm surprised I don't have scars from the ceramic speed control resistor. :D

Those ceramic resistors sure got hot! My first real rc was a Blackfoot. I dunno what happened to it. My dad has probably 6-8 clod busters that he has modded and converted. One has a sassy chassis 6x6x6 chassis. I still got my jrx-pro I'm going to make brushless and lipo. Just sold a jrxt parts car. Got an rc10 I may sell too...

I held onto my Grasshoppers for over 20 years. When I got back into the hobby, things had advanced to such an extreme that I sold over $500 worth of Tamiya cars and parts for $40.

I built a few for other people, including the Blackfoot and the 4WD 911 Porsche.

I never sold any of mine. Now I see they are worth some $$$..
After I got my drivers licence I got out of rc's. One day back in '02 wife was at some makeup store and I went next door to a hobby shop and a spur of the moment impulse buy I bought a nitro rustler. I ran about a quart through it and then it sat for 11 years (well its still sitting) A couple months ago a guy at work had a 2.5 revo and sold it to me for $20. It kinda got me back into the hobby. Now I'm trying to get my boys in it.

At $20 you made out like a bandit. You know what it's worth. It won't take much to get it running, I don't care what shape it's in.

I wouldn't have taken anything to get it running, but I somehow managed to dump $500 in it...
Hopefully this sledgehammer won't be that much:\

I think all I got left of the 2.5 is a arms... sold most of it on eBay...
guess I can let the a arms go for $25:D

I had a Tamiya Team Frog back in the day when I was a kid. I burnt myself more than onc eon that ceramic resistor. lol

I gotta put the mechanical speed controller with that big ol ceramic resistor back in it so my son will burn himself and be initiated into the rc world :D it's like a right of passage hehe...

Never burnt myself on the resistor, but I did lose a battery pack after trying to run a modified motor with the mechanical speed control. Melted the Kyosho connectors together! :whhooo:

I burnt myself so many time on mine, my first rc car was a rustler, lol. Cool looking truck!

Haha the old days of mechanical speed controls , resistor and try to run a modified motor on them

As a kid, I never got into the hobby grade R/C's because it was way out of my price range. It's amazing how the technology has come so far from the old Latrax era.

For a time, I was collecting vintage R/C's that ranged from toy grade to hobby grade. And the Radio Shack Corvette C5-R got me into the hobby. But once I obtain the Pro-Cision Corvair Monza, I was hooked with obtaining the Latrax cars.

From 2003-2010, I searched for these elusive cars with no luck. Then I stumbled upon Yahoo Japan Auctions and saw a Latrax Buggy NIB in December 2010. The by July 2011, obtained a Latrax Tran am NIB. Then in early 2012, finally got a NIB Latrax Corvette. As for as Hobby grade R/C's goes, Latrax cars are the most difficult cars to find new in the package. They are even tougher than the NIB(ready to run) Traxxas Fiero.

Sounds like I didn't miss out on much. Mechanical speed controls were way before my time. :hehe:

Back