TRX 3.3 troubles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know it has an air leak somewhere but no clue as to where.

I've checked all screws and the plug. The backplate and carb are both sealed with rubber gasket compound (Permatex engine-safe gasket compound). The fuel system is completely sealed. There are zip ties around all the joints and the screw parts on the filters have teflon tape around them. Brand new fuel lines.

My problem is that both needles are richer than factory, yet it bogs like it's lean at WOT. The idle is also consistently high enough to just barely engage the clutch (and no it's not the trim).

Any clues?

try where the carb seats on the block

He said he already checked that part. I would go ahead and reseal everything and check it that made a difference. If not, it could be the new fuel lines.

GAH! I checked EVERYTHING!!!! It's set almost a turn richer than factory (5 turns from closed on HSN!!!) and it STILL lean bogs. The idle is now high enough to engage the clutch. When slowing from WOT it whines like a grounded child.

Traxxas has responded to my e-mail. They basically restated everything I knew about tuning engines, checking for air leaks and all that. The service tech said that if all else fails I can get an RMA number and they will replace the engine for no charge, as long as it shows no signs of being abused (I'm going to take it apart tonight to make sure it looks good inside) or neglected. Kudos to their service.

EDIT: I sent Traxxas another email with some photos of the engine.

It has what appears to be carbon buildup on the piston, but it is easily scratched off with a fingernail (that's what happened with the silvery part in the middle):

engine1_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

The piston stops about 1mm from the top of the sleeve when pushed up:

engine2_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

I don't want to spam the boards with images but I have more if you want to see them.

Also, I wiped off the carbon. The piston is nice and silvery now with a bit of bronzing.

Last edited:
i know i was ignored before when i replyed this.
if you have everything sealed up, and new fuel line
with no holes. ITS A BEARING, or a hair line crak in the
carb, OR you just didnt seal it good enough

I wasn't ignoring you. I just wanted to get those pictures up on the board.

If that's the case though, then it IS a manufacturer's defect and it will be sent in for replacement.

Sweet, looks like I got a warranty service, then.

Hello,

It sounds like you need to send the engine to us for inspection. If you have not already registered your vehicle on our web site, please do so at http://www.traxxas.com/support/register/trx_register_benefits.htm.

Please make sure to include the following items;

The vehicles serial number
Your name
Your address
Your phone number
A copy of your original receipt
A copy of this e-mail.

Insure it for $260 and send it to

Traxxas
Attn: Service
1100 Klein Rd
Plano, Texas
75074 USA

I am including our warranty information for your convenience.

All warranty claims must go through our on-site repair lab for diagnosis and repair. Traxxas assumes responsibility for its products and will repair or replace any defective product at its sole discretion. We do not support dealer generated product replacements. Our toll-free customer service line provides direct access to our factory trained representatives. If you believe you have a product that should be repaired or replaced under warranty, the first step is to contact our customer service department toll free at (888) TRAXXAS. Often our trained techs can solve problems over the phone by simply educating an individual with regard to the basic operation of our products. In the event that factory service is required, our technicians are usually able to make repairs within a 3-5 working day time frame.

Traxxas offers a 30-day limited warranty on all their electronic components. The TRX Pro .15 is covered by a two year manufacturers warranty covering workmanship or manufacturing defects. In addition to these warranties, Traxxas offers an extended service plan for electronic components. After the 30-day warranty has expired Traxxas will repair electronic components for a flat rate of $15.00 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling. The electronic components covered under this service plan include electronic speed controls, transmitters, receivers, servos and battery chargers. Motors and mechanical speed controls are not covered. Products damaged by moisture, intentional abuse, misuse or neglect may be subject to additional charges (up to $25.00) on top of the $15.00 warranty charge (not to exceed $40.00 plus $5.00 shipping). Electronic speed controls which have had the factory wiring connectors removed and replaced with non-factory connectors will be subject to an additional $25.00 rewiring charge.

Here is he service and repair information.. http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=132&id=361

Traxxas also offers the Engine Replacement Plan for nitro-powered engines. This plan allows you, at any time throughout the lifetime of your TRX engine, to exchange it for a brand-new TRX engine at 50% of the suggested retail price of a new engine.

Shipping within the us is $5.00. Shipping outside the U.S. will be $15.00 to Canada and $30.00 to other countries. Here are the details. http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/erp/trx_erp.htm

Best regards,
Steve

Last edited:
Hey something That has happened to me is that your running the engine too rich. When you do that, and slam WOT what happens is that it fills the engine with gas and nearly floods it and that may be your problem if you are running over factory setting. Plus don't know if this has been checked or not but look at your fuel tank. It may have a crack somewhere on it.

change thr front bearing.....it should be wet on the bottom of the motor

That's what I was thinking too. When I turn the crank by hand, the inner bearing race doesn't always turn with the crank. I'm thinking it's losing its seal via the gap between the race and the crank.

Hmm, I was reading the email, and it says "Insure $260", Does that mean you're paying for them to fix it? I thought this was a warranty.

yea i had to change one on my buddy's tmax the other day

Yep, we insured it but it only cost like 3 bucks.

possibly an air leak in the fuel tank?
The seals are prone to leaking if you have the blue ones I think.

Check the tank seal, put fuel line on the tank and hold the carb end closed, blow in the pipe end to see if any air leaks there.

Sorry I can't help more.

I was going to try the new engine to see if it worked and if it didn't then I was going to replace my fuel system entirely.

just spend 10 bucks and change the front bearing....I'm almost positive thats ur problem

Back