Want to give my revo more power… but how?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:D lmao

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I’ve tried big block but that ended up destroying other components so i figured modding the existing 3.3 engine, I’m forced to run on 16% fuel since anything higher requires license to purchase (which i ofc don’t have)
Many have told about swapping to an os 11k carb, but are there any other carbs out there that gives similar performance but with less price?
What\s the best mod you can think of to give the stock 3.3 more power?

20years ago this was something many did

supercharger to these 3.3 or modded crankshaft and things.
I had bouth.
Today I'm all in Brushless. I have couple brushless rigs with 7-8hp

If you think 100bucks carburator is too much you dont want know what the other mods is in $$$.

There is nothing here to do less than 100bucks. You must pay the money. Or even more
There is no easy cheap fix sadly.

What do you want to do ?
Speedruns ? Bashing ?
Why Nitro ?
Why Revo 3.3 ?

Brushless are Amazing today and cheap

20years ago this was something many did

supercharger to these 3.3 or modded crankshaft and things.
I had bouth.
Today I'm all in Brushless. I have couple brushless rigs with 7-8hp

If you think 100bucks carburator is too much you dont want know what the other mods is in $$$.

There is nothing here to do less than 100bucks. You must pay the money. Or even more
There is no easy cheap fix sadly.

What do you want to do ?
Speedruns ? Bashing ?
Why Nitro ?
Why Revo 3.3 ?

Brushless are Amazing today and cheap
I agree, i have a brushless arrma a and the performance is night and day, but still, nothing can beat the sound of a nitro

Last edited:
I agree, i have a brushless arma and the performance is night and day, but still, nothing can beat the sound if a nitro

Yeah
I miss the Nitro Sound alot sometimes.

Have it stock, run it sometimes just for the sound.
It will last longer.
All tuning/extra power wears the motor faster in almost every case.

Have your BL Arrma to performance driving.
And your Revo for soft bashing, and enjoy the Sound sometimes.

I have many old nitro rigs still.
Will buy some fresh Nitro and clean couple motors, and run couple of them this summer only for the sound.
Not for Performance. Because Performance is Brushless todays.

Yeah
I miss the Nitro Sound alot sometimes.

Have it stock, run it sometimes just for the sound.
It will last longer.
All tuning/extra power wears the motor faster in almost every case.

Have your BL Arrma to performance driving.
And your Revo for soft bashing, and enjoy the Sound sometimes.

I have many old nitro rigs still.
Will buy some fresh Nitro and clean couple motors, and run couple of them this summer only for the sound.
Not for Performance. Because Performance is Brushless todays.
This is something hard to take in, but I have to admit that everything you said is true, i had a big block in my revo for a while but then my transmission exploded, which got me realize that nitro is all about fun, and so i put the old engine back in and it worked a lot better, i posted this thread because I’m running my revo on a local track rn but i just couldnt make over jumps as easy as all the other buggies, made me realized that i probably need to get a buggy if a want to compete
I should probably spend money on better servos and etc instead

Simple.

Buy a Savage 4.6.

Never touched my Revo after obtaining the Savage.
Makes you realize how underpowered Revo really is.

Hence why I am selling it.

Simple.

Buy a Savage 4.6.

Never touched my Revo after obtaining the Savage.
Makes you realize how underpowered Revo really is.

Hence why I am selling it.
Revo has such a wonderful chassie and design, too bad traxxas ruined it with an underpowered engine

Savage is cool basher.
Not for track.

4.6cc engines use alot Nitro
3.5cc you save 40% Nitro atleast

For track i would go 1/8 second hand Losi or Mugen buggy
New 3.5cc motor

What big block motor you

:D lmao have ?​

Savage is cool basher.
Not for track.

4.6cc engines use alot Nitro
3.5cc you save 40% Nitro atleast

For track i would go 1/8 second hand Losi or Mugen buggy
New 3.5cc motor

What big block motor you

:D lmao have ?​

Well I’ve ran it and it’s extremely unfueleffient, it’a sh.28 p8 so its a 8 port big block, it barely fits inside the truck and ran poorly
Maybe a small big block will do, like a dynamite .21

dynamite mach2 21 is nice motor , true workhorse. these are awaible thith strap start or without.
cheap also

google REVO 3.3 21 motor or 3.5 motor , see if many did this, then it will work

Yeah thats probably way smarter than getting a new carb for the existing 3.3 because the 11k along will cost 100 bux, the dynamites are much cheaper and greater motor worth spending my precious money on (cheaper compaired with an os ofc)

Update: going for smaller clutch bell and bigger spur instead, also ordered close ratio two speed, since I’m only racing on a short track I’m not going to need any top speed, this setup will give me plenty of acceleration on stock motor, ill keep the engine stock

Save your money on the 11k/e carb. It adds tunability and reliability, not performance. If your stock carb holds a tune, stick with it.

There was a losi carb that had a bigger venturi in it, for the the losi 3.4 engine (which looked an awful lot like the 3.3):
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/carburetor-3.4/LOSR2123.html

The losi 3.4 engine the carb was for:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/losi-3.4-engine/LOSR2100.html

The 21TM is an upgrade in power without being axle twisting, not sure it's worth the expense though. I have both a 21TM revo and a big block revo with a LRP28 in it. Both have full steel RRP gears in the transmission, the 21TM revo has MIP center axles (got it used and that's what it came with), but my big block revo still runs all plastic axles. They hold up fine, just have to replace them once in a while as they do stretch out. When the 21TM finally got towards being broken in, I kept shelling transmission gears, so ended up going full RRP steel in it like the big block revo.

If you want it to be a bit more potent at the track, get the close ratio transmission gears. That makes the gap between 1st and 2nd not so wide:
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5383

1st gear doesn't change, but 2nd gear gets slower.

I run the standard ratio in both of mine and was thinking about changing to the close ratio in both to get them to do better at the grass bmx track I run at... but as infrequently as I run either of them, it's not worth the hassle or money to get the RRP close ratio gears for them. It's been over a year since I ran a nitro and I don't really miss it.

Back