Your opinion on Traxxas trx 3.3 engine and traxxas Top fuel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:D lmao

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
what's your opinion on the traxxas 3.3 engine? power wise? reliability wise? connecting rod failure? What fuel suits the best? And why didn't Traxxas develop a big block instead?
what's your opinion on the traxxas top fuel? really the best fuel as Traxxas advertised? why so high oil content? traxxas fuel + traxxas engine = better?

from what i know traxxas engines run really hot. maybe the extra oil is to keep things lubricated even in the heat
the 3.3 is a great engine but has less power for its size. the carburator for the 3.3 and 2.5 is the same which is small for a .21 engine. if i bought a 3.3 i would upgrade it to a os 11k carb. big blocks are pretty expensive and I've seen upgraded 3.3's race bigblock swapped tmaxx's and the upgraded 3.3 was significantly better.
the traxxas fuel is best for its engines. not necessarily for other brands.

hope this helps

Last edited:
I run the highest nitro possible to keep cool. 33% seems to work for me. Although I used top fuel, this summer I'm branching out and trying a different company.

3.3 should be ok. If you look inside your motor from time to time, look st the bearings and conrod for wear or cracks.

The 3.3 in a Jato or similar sized car is a lot of fun. In the bigger heavier Revo or similar mehhh.

I've been using powermaster 30% in a 3.3 and a KE25 for the last year. No issues, and no real reason I chose that brand, they all work. Good price at Amain because I can't get it local.

Great engine, lots of power, I have 5, none broke on me yet, as long as you brake them in properly and look after them.

i hate 3.3s they always are lean at higher rpm range, run hotter than any other engine, regardless of fuel, plug, tune, and always have the same failures, eventually. However i love 2.5s and never had any of the problems above

Last edited:
i hate 3.3s they always are lean at higher rpm range, run hotter than any other engine, regardless of fuel, plug, tune, and always have the same failures, eventually. However i love 2.5s and never had any of the problems above
yeah, i do agree with the fact that they run extremely hot, i see the blue smoke and the engine is running pretty rich but it still somehow manages to hit 280 after every pull

what's your opinion on the traxxas 3.3 engine? power wise? reliability wise? connecting rod failure? What fuel suits the best? And why didn't Traxxas develop a big block instead?
what's your opinion on the traxxas top fuel? really the best fuel as Traxxas advertised? why so high oil content? traxxas fuel + traxxas engine = better?
I really am against the Traxxas top fuel. I think it is way too expensive. I use to use Morgan sidewinder fuel and whatever percent nitro I could find at hobby stores near me. I believe they went out of business or something because my hobby shops don’t have them anymore. I am currently using torch race fuels 30%. I don’t notice a difference between Morgan and torco or even Traxxas. They all run the same for me. Please don’t flood me and tell me I’m wrong haha. Just what I’ve noticed.
I really am against the Traxxas top fuel. I think it is way too expensive. I use to use Morgan sidewinder fuel and whatever percent nitro I could find at hobby stores near me. I believe they went out of business or something because my hobby shops don’t have them anymore. I am currently using torch race fuels 30%. I don’t notice a difference between Morgan and torco or even Traxxas. They all run the same for me. Please don’t flood me and tell me I’m wrong haha. Just what I’ve noticed.
Sorry Torco not torch

Horrible engine. Con rod designed to fail, carb won’t hold a tune long. Traxxas fuel sucks you don’t need that much oil.

" traxxas fuel + traxxas engine = better? "
i disagree. Traxxas fuel + any engine = not better.

Unless you want to or really have to run that much oil in your fuel.
Traxxas 3.3 engine and reliability ect... your milage may vary.

i have 2 Trx 3.3 engines where 1 keeps knocking the conrod and the other keeps ruining the rear bearing for some weird reason even though the tune on both engines is exactly the same.. pretty rich because they tend to heat up no matter the tune, but better safe then sorry?
a Trx 2.5 engine is just better in the long run..

I changed my mind slightly about trx engines, while I still think they are of decent quality, carbs are absolute rubbish, never holds a good idle.
Even HSP carb is miles better and tunes easier than traxxas.

Yeah, the carbs are definitely bad on any Traxxas engine. That's the first thing people upgrade.

Conrods are the notorious failure point on the 3.3, I'm not sure if the 2.5 had the same design - but I believe they are the same length, with the 3.3 having larger bore. Not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

The 2.5R is what most people consider the best TRX engine.

As far as the fuel, it's awful. Way too much oil.