Traxxas X Maxx issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theocrates

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
What's up everyone? New to the RC world but just bought myself an X Maxx to sink my time and money into lol. So I'm experiencing my first issue. If this is the wrong place to post this my apologies. Anyways here's the issue I am having. When I hit the throttle the engine is spinning but the wheels are getting no power at all. The front wheels are responsive and turn just fine but no power to any wheels.

Thanks ahead of time!

Welcome to the hobby and the forum.

The first thing to check would be the pinion. Remove the spur gear/pinion cover and check to see if the gears are turning. Hopefully it's something as simple as the grub screw backed off on the pinion on the motor shaft.

Remove this cover
20211209_160729.jpg

If that is the problem, remove the grub screw from the pinion (gear on the motor) and apply a drop of blue Loctite on the threads and reinstall the gear. Make sure the set screw is installed so it lines up and tightens on the flat area of the motor shaft, and is in line with the spur gear.

Let us know after you check this.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and hobby! The X-Maxx probably isn’t the best beginner RC, but you know, bigger is better! The pinion probably came loose from the motor shaft.

Thanks everyone. I'm going out of town for a couple of days, but I'll give this a shot and report back.

Welcome to RCTalk and thanks for joining!

If you're new to the RC hobby, we have several very active threads here on RCTalk that could be especially of some help for you to making your start into the hobby much more enjoyable and easier!

Even if you're not new, we would still love to hear your feedback on the tools and electronics you are using in the above threads!

Quick Forum Tips

If you do the social media thing, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Premium Membership

Military roll call: Active Duty | Veterans
Have RC News?
Email us here.
Become a Forum Sponsor | Support RCTalk

Hello everyone. So I checked what I believe to be the grub screw and it looks tight. There seems to be a lot of play in the larger gear. It moves back and forth about half an inch. I put a picture in my post. It is the larger gear towards the bottom of the picture that has the play.

Attachments

• 20211214_155126.jpg
    20211214_155126.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 125
Remove the cover with the 4 screws right behind that big gear (spur gear).
Screenshot_20211214-162752_Chrome.jpg

You need to check the pins on the cush drive assembly. My guess is one of them has broken or something else has caused one to slip out.
Screenshot_20211214-162428_Samsung capture.jpg

The smaller gear on the rear of the shaft (7785X) has a slot cut into it that locks onto the rear pin. Make sure that is ok, but I would bet that's not it.

On the back of the cush drive (7793X), there should be a slot as well that locks onto the front pin. My guess is the front pin has come out, or something there on the rear of the cush drive is broken.
Screenshot_20211214-163052_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
What's up everyone? New to the RC world but just bought myself an X Maxx to sink my time and money into lol. So I'm experiencing my first issue. If this is the wrong place to post this my apologies. Anyways here's the issue I am having. When I hit the throttle the engine is spinning but the wheels are getting no power at all. The front wheels are responsive and turn just fine but no power to any wheels.

Thanks ahead of time!
Welcome to the forum! Ok, so from what you said, we can determine that the problem is not the radio, receiver, ESC, or motor (servo is fine too, but that's not relevant here). So the issue must lie in your drivetrain.

As fellow member above have suggested, check if your pinion (small gear attached to the motor shaft), see if it's come off the motor shaft. (seems you already checked that actually) Also, check if the pinion hole (and/or motor shaft) is rounded out. You'll see that in RC, motor shaft are shaped like a "D" when looking at it from the front, the shaft is round, except there will be one part that is not round, it'll have a flat edge. The pinion will have an appropriately sized "D" shaped hole too, to match the shaft. Make sure that the pinion is on the shaft correctly, with the flat edge of the shaft connected with the flat cutout on the pinion hole. Next, if the shaft and pinion are not rounded, and they are seated correctly as above, check that your gear mesh between the pinion and spur (big gear that the pinion drives) is set correctly, the motor mount screws or the motor mount holes may have loosened or widened (respectively), the pinion should be pushed up against the spur, tight enough that the pinion can never loose contact with the spur under drive. However, the mesh shouldn't be very tight, there should be a little amount of play/slop between the two gears.

If still nothing so far is the problem, check your diff pinion gears, and the diff crown gears, see if they're stripped or heavily worn. Another method is give the car throttle, and see if the center driveshaft spins or not. If it doesn't spin, it's the pinion, spur, or the gear mesh. If it spins, then it's your diffs and the gears there, or possibly you've rounded out all 4 wheel hexes and/or the wheels. The issue could also be the center diff.

When you check into that, be careful not to lose the little pin, it falls out very easy when removing and installing the cush drive.

When you check into that, be careful not to lose the little pin, it falls out very easy when removing and installing the cush drive.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll give it a shot and report back.

It almost has to be that front pin. The rear pin only clocks the gear at the rear of the shaft. The shoulder on the shaft would not allow the spur/cush assembly along with the shaft to move 1/2" if that rear pin was missing. However, if the front pin is gone, the entire cush/spur assembly could move front to back the distance between the bearing and cush assembly.

Remove the cover with the 4 screws right behind that big gear (spur gear).
View attachment 139048
You need to check the pins on the cush drive assembly. My guess is one of them has broken or something else has caused one to slip out.
View attachment 139047

The smaller gear on the rear of the shaft (7785X) has a slot cut into it that locks onto the rear pin. Make sure that is ok, but I would bet that's not it.

On the back of the cush drive (7793X), there should be a slot as well that locks onto the front pin. My guess is the front pin has come out, or something there on the rear of the cush drive is broken.
View attachment 139049
Looks like you were correct. The front pin is missing. The spur gear appears to be spinning freely and not converting power to the wheels.

That's good you found the problem. But where is the pin?

That's good you found the problem. But where is the pin?
I didn't see it. Maybe I lost it opening things up but I don't think so. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the pin looks like. I just know there isn't one there now lol.

Back