Traxxas Nitro Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxAaronxX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I just found my Rustler in the garage and want to get it repaired. The engine needs to be moved so that it can touch the spur gear to move the rear wheels. I also want it to be tuned. How much does this all usually cost if I take it to my LHS to be repaired?
Thanks

My local shop charges $20 for just about any repairs, unless of course you bring them a DuraTrax vehicle...then it's $50/hour. Ouch. ;-) I would recommend grabbing the manual and/or an exploded parts view of your Rustler and working on it yourself though. It's WAY more satisfying, and you can wrench it yourself when it breaks...which costs $0 + parts.

moving the engine is simply loosening a few screws and sliding it over. And you should learn to tune an engine. Its not that hard. Just do a search on here and you will find plenty of helpful posts to get you started. To answer your question my LHS charges $12/hr if you bought it from them or $15/hr if you didn't.

Not saying I won't do it but, I always thought part of the hobby was fixing the stuff when they broke... of course breaking in Nitro's have not had much experience in.

I don't think he's too confident. He posted about this problem back in November. ajames tried explaining how to do the fix (rcnut posted a link to a diagram too I think).

It really isn't all that difficult. If you don't have the manual with the parts diagram and how it goes together we will get it for you...

+1 on the engine all you do is loosen 4 screws and it can slide back and forth into position to mesh with the spur gear.
As for tuning, I myself had no clue what I was doing when I went out to college and did not have my bro to help me. I would recommend that you have like a notepad or some paper and write down notes so you can look at it while tuning the engine so you know that if the engine seems to be doing (what ever) do this to fix it.
EX: turn the High Speed needle this way if X is happening. that helped me out but now its second nature.
everyone here is really helpful and no question is too dumb. ..... Unless you want to know how to get the engine to backfire :hehe::hehe:

Back