Traxxas Jato Diff oil ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badkitty

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i found out that for some reason the jato's dont have any oil in the differential as the manual says they do. I have some 55wt shock oil I'm going to put in it, but i wanted to know. Do i put a few drops on the gears, fill the case, or half fill the case? It may be a simple answer but i wanted to know while i have the diff open.

Shock oil is different from differential oil. Dif oils are weights like 1000, 3000, 5000,10000, 30000 and 50000 just to name a few. Traxxas should have the stock dif oil weight listed somewhere either on their website or in the manual. Just don't use shock oil, it's not viscous enough. When you do fill it, go about 80% full.

thats weird because IN THE MANUAL ITSELF...it says SHOCK oil 30-60wt. There also was NO gasket when i first took it off. I was told it is a assembly line error. DUH!!! lol but i'll get a gasket and thanks for the info on filling it 80%.

Oh ya and WHAT EXACTLY should i notice after putting oil in it ?

Last edited:
I stand corrected after checking out the Traxxas site. I was going by MT and Buggy difs using actual dif fluid or in the case of some on-roads just using dif grease. I did see where alot of Jato people are using dif fluid ranging from 1000-50000.

I used Diff grease in my savy I just did the spider mods in. Seems a little thick, but I guess we'll see.

It all depends on your driving style. If you like to slide around corners alot, go with a heavy weight. If you want it to corner with more control, then use a light weight oil.

ya i just had it explained to me at the local RC shop. Any of the oils , shock or diff, is fine. Depends on your driving style and/or track and conditions.I bought 90W. Gonna fill her up now and see it how does.

Back