Trashed the clutch shoes.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky78

RCNT Window Licker
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So... I fried my clutch. The bell looks fine, and I have a few other things to fix while I'm in there, but I'm wondering what shoes to get. Stock, alloy, or whatever. What are you guys running? Stock Savage X 17/47 gearing.

I'm running Savage XL alloy shoes. I was running 17/47 gearing with the HPI steel spur and OFNA hardened bell all last year. I upped it to 18T to get more speed. I'm running traxxas 3.8" chevron tires and 2 speed trans with an LRP28S3.

The shoes looked fine when I put in the 18T bell. Probably have a couple gallons on those shoes.

Thanks Olds. I'm thinking of going up a tooth or two on the bell. I have the HTL typical of the savvys so I'm pig rich the first half and have trouble keeping it off the lid after. LOL! I know, I know.. Throttle control :rolleyes:

I run a small buggy tank on mine in the stock location. Since I'm running 4 big bore shocks, I have the room. However, I've read that if you lower the stock tank, it also helps, so I might try that this year. The main reasons I ditched the stock tank was because it's so tall and is in the way of a pull start and annoys me when I'm starting and the HTL issue. Unfortunately, they stopped making the 125cc tank I've been using for the past 15 years... so, I'll try lowering the stocker this year to see how it does.

I read somewhere about a priming filter. I wondered if a check valve would help.

Tried a check valve once, it just made a mess of things. Also tried the uniflow mod, which also was more of a pain than it was worth.

Thanks for stopping me there then! Lol

Some people have good luck with it, I didn't though. Tried both many years ago, before I got the X, then gave up and just mounted a small uniformly shaped 125cc buggy tank to it and lived with short run times. Wasn't too bad back then as I was running an OS21RG which still gave decent run times. However, with the LRP28... 125cc goes by pretty fast.

That's how the T MAXX is. I can't remember the tank size but we fill the 3.3 about halfway thru a tank on the X

Get some nice aluminium ones. HPI make some decent ones if you can get them for a good price.

Actually, the bell is fine. What killed the shoes was bad bearings. I have a steel spur, no oil leaking out the crankshaft seal.

I ran HPI teflon 3-shoes for years until I got the LRP28. I ran the teflon ones in my BB revo, aftershock and savage. But, when I started gearing higher to leverage some of the extra power the LRP has (had an LRP28 eventually in all 3), I started to have major slippage at the clutch when in 2nd gear and in the grass. After a few tanks, the shoes would be trash. So, I switched over to aluminum and haven't had an issue since. The extra bite off the line was quickly noticeable and I don't get the slippage in the grass anymore.

I don't see how that is possible unless you switched bells.
It was most noticeable in my bb revo (which I moved the trans on so I could run 1/8th scale flywheel/clutch). After a few tanks of gas running in the park, I'd hear the engine rpm go up, but the truck didn't speed up. Then I noticed the CB getting that blue tint too it from heat. I replaced the shoes with new ones, cleaned the shoes and bell with a wire wheel and DA and it was ok for a few bash sessions then started slipping again. Then I geared it down a couple teeth on the bell, and it was nearly impossible to drive due to it doing wheelies all the time, which was also hard on all the axles. Especially when it would pop up a hard wheelie when it shifted into second. But, the clutch didn't slip. So, after getting frustrated with it and shelving it for a year, I drove my small block revo and my savage.

After tiring of my savage tearing the rear body up due to constant wheelies, I started gearing it taller and taller while keeping the engine temps/tune in check. Figured higher gearing would tame the wheelies a bit. By the time I got up to 17/47, I noticed it was acting like my bb revo was... slipping clutch. So, instead of fighting with it, I bought alloy shoes. Was a night and day difference off the line and when it shifts. Then I got a set for my bb revo too and now it's good as well. Savage still wheelied like mad and I increased to 18/47, which I'll see how it does next season as I ran out of warm weather.

Then when I upgraded the engine in my sb revo to a OS 21TM, I just got a standard alloy 7075 2 shoe for it to avoid the issue.

Back