Tranny case and input shaft is toast

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call that a gimmick
How is that? Aluminum transfers heat faster than any other material on an rc car. So the heat from the motor and trans will transfer to the motor plate, and to the heat sinks. Yeah, they probably don't allow you to run a bigger pinion, but I guarantee you they are at least functional.

How is that? Aluminum transfers heat faster than any other material on an rc car. So the heat from the motor and trans will transfer to the motor plate, and to the heat sinks. Yeah, they probably don't allow you to run a bigger pinion, but I guarantee you they are at least functional.
Wait sorry my computer didn't update the thread.

There is no way they will remove not even one tenth of a degree on the motor. If they really taught that those "heat sinks" are function they would put thermal paste or thermal plate between them and motor plate, and I am pretty sure there is nothing in between

There is no way they will remove not even one tenth of a degree on the motor. If they really taught that those "heat sinks" are function they would put thermal paste or thermal plate between them and motor plate, and I am pretty sure there is nothing in between
Is that based on your expert opinion? Or are you just tossing that out there? Are you a metallurgist?

So the heat that gets transferred to the motor plate of an RC car... you're saying that doesn't come from the motor? Because I have felt that heat, and I have never thermal pasted my motor to a motor plate. Maybe I bought a motor plate that just spontaneously heats up?

Is that based on your expert opinion? Or are you just tossing that out there? Are you a metallurgist?

So the heat that gets transferred to the motor plate of an RC car... you're saying that doesn't come from the motor? Because I have felt that heat, and I have never thermal pasted my motor to a motor plate. Maybe I bought a motor plate that just spontaneously heats up?
I am not saying that it doesn't work, I am saying it's very little effective. Let's say in the best case scenario, if those heatsinks reduce the temperature from 140f to 139f thats nothing. But there is no way that it will reduce even that, probably it will be 140f reduced to 139.9f.

In rc racing heat is a big issue, we run advanced timing and relatively high gearing to be competitive. Many people don't even use aluminum plate but carbon fiber motor plate instead. And for cooling we use mini fan.

Honestly I would never install such a heavy gearbox housing. In one of my rustlers I tried different motors, regular 3650 motor, 3660 that was just way too heavy, and ended up using relatively light weight sensored motor and it drove and jumped 10 times better

Attachments

• IMG_20221203_075303951_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221203_075303951_HDR.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I am saying it's very little effective. Let's say in the best case scenario, if those heatsinks reduce the temperature from 140f to 139f thats nothing. But there is no way that it will reduce even that, probably it will be 140f reduced to 139.9f.

you're stating this as if its fact when in reality its only your opinion and is not based on any sort of measurable data nor are you even an expert in the field of metallurgy or even heat dissipation. Thermal grease isnt even necessary for heat dissipation. For example, on a computers CPU thermal paste will increase thermal dissipation by approximately 19%-45% depending on load but without having a heatsink on the CPU at all it will hit thermal shutdown and typically in less than a minute, maybe 2 if the CPU is idle. (time to hit thermal shutdown will vary a bit based on load, cpu wattage, and die architecture). So are heatsinks/aluminum mounting plates a gimmick? Absolutely not. Does thermal paste aid in heat dissipation? Sure it does but you will still get additional cooling even without paste.

The weight is an unrelated issue at least in this particular case because no one but you was talking about this in a racing context. Do some tests and collect some data or find some info online posted by an expert on the topic and post it up and then we can start a debate based on something other than someones opinion.

Last edited:
you're stating this as if its fact when in reality its only your opinion and is not based on any sort of measurable data nor are you even an expert in the field of metallurgy or even heat dissipation. Thermal grease isnt even necessary for heat dissipation. For example, on a computers CPU thermal paste will increase thermal dissipation by approximately 19%-45% depending on load but without having a heatsink on the CPU at all it will hit thermal shutdown and typically in less than a minute, maybe 2 if the CPU is idle. (time to hit thermal shutdown will vary a bit based on load, cpu wattage, and die architecture). So are heatsinks/aluminum mounting plates a gimmick? Absolutely not. Does thermal paste aid in heat dissipation? Sure it does but you will still get additional cooling even without paste.

The weight is an unrelated issue at least in this particular case because no one but you was talking about this in a racing context. Do some tests and collect some data or find some info online posted by an expert on the topic and post it up and then we can start a debate based on something other than someones opinion.
Well, since it looks like whole case is made out of one piece, it will be a big heatsink.

When I mentioned thermal paste I was referring not between motor and and transmission, but between those 2 blue "heatsinks" and transmission.

Like I said, whole transmission is a lot of mass, and definitely will pull some heat, but i am pretty sure that those blue heatsinks are just a gimmick and will not cool the motor at all.

Honestly instead those blue heatinks, I would be happier to se a mount for tiny 30 mm fan, blowing downward. And I am sure tiny plastic 30 mm fan will weigh less and be 100 times more effective.

On top of that they look ugly, it reminds me of "pimp my ride" styling. If I had that transmission, I would definitely cut them off and leave just plain black transmission case

Well, since it looks like whole case is made out of one piece, it will be a big heatsink.

When I mentioned thermal paste I was referring not between motor and and transmission, but between those 2 blue "heatsinks" and transmission.

Like I said, whole transmission is a lot of mass, and definitely will pull some heat, but i am pretty sure that those blue heatsinks are just a gimmick and will not cool the motor at all.

Honestly instead those blue heatinks, I would be happier to se a mount for tiny 30 mm fan, blowing downward. And I am sure tiny plastic 30 mm fan will weigh less and be 100 times more effective.

On top of that they look ugly, it reminds me of "pimp my ride" styling. If I had that transmission, I would definitely cut them off and leave just plain black transmission case
Dude, we are just giving you advice and you don't have to argue with us if you don't like the advice. Just don't listen to the advice then. It's not hard to just not listen to people and their advice. Anyways, Those blue heat sinks do actually do something. They help transfer heat a lot. If you were to cut those off, your temps would be hotter than if you didn't. Yes, a fan would work but it would work better with the heat sinks. For heck's sake, run a fan and keep the heatsinks for maximum cooling.

Dude, we are just giving you advice and you don't have to argue with us if you don't like the advice. Just don't listen to the advice then. It's not hard to just not listen to people and their advice. Anyways, Those blue heat sinks do actually do something. They help transfer heat a lot. If you were to cut those off, your temps would be hotter than if you didn't. Yes, a fan would work but it would work better with the heat sinks. For heck's sake, run a fan and keep the heatsinks for maximum cooling.
I am not arguing with anyone, I just have an opinion that is different from others, I think its a gimmick, and it's ugly.

If some people think that those 3 blue heatsinks will drop motor temperature from 200f to 150f, and they think they are good lucking and they think additional weight behind rear axle will improve handling, that's fine, it doesn't bother me a bit.

If my opinion is different it doesn't mean I am arguing, it doesn't even mean that my opinion is correct, it's just an opinion.

I am not arguing with anyone, I just have an opinion that is different from others, I think its a gimmick, and it's ugly.

If some people think that those 3 blue heatsinks will drop motor temperature from 200f to 150f, and they think they are good lucking and they think additional weight behind rear axle will improve handling, that's fine, it doesn't bother me a bit.

If my opinion is different it doesn't mean I am arguing, it doesn't even mean that my opinion is correct, it's just an opinion.
Nobody said a thing about dropping temps from 200 to 150. My gawd where do you come up with this chit? Call it what uou want, but you seem to love to argue. All I said is they are functional. It's not possible that they don't dissipate some heat. How much? Who the F knows. Who the F cares? I think they look fine on there. So shut up and move on.

You know, since I have been on this forum, I have only ever blocked two people. One of which I unblocked. You just took the #2 spot.

Nobody said a thing about dropping temps from 200 to 150. My gawd where do you come up with this chit? Call it what uou want, but you seem to love to argue. All I said is they are functional. It's not possible that they don't dissipate some heat. How much? Who the F knows. Who the F cares? I think they look fine on there. So shut up and move on.

You know, since I have been on this forum, I have only ever blocked two people. One of which I unblocked. You just took the #2 spot.
Well played.
Well played.

I'm gonna block him too. He is just being an asshat. Bye Bi***.

Last edited:
What are those blue pieces for?

I was wondering that too. It is a cool looking transmission.
I have the RPM transmission case for mine, comes with a metal motor plate.

I see I missed a couple posts while typing, heatsinks. OK then

Or maybe I didnt turn the page.

The tranny case isnt even that heavy. Its all plastic except for the motor mounting plate and the heatsinks.

The heatsinks work because the metal motor is touching the metal mounting plate which is in turn touching the heatsinks. So how much it works is debatable because none of us has actually tested it but they do work to some degree. That much is fact, its science. Dont believe me? Look up Fourier's law of Conduction and Thermal Resistance. On top of that you can still put a fan on the motor. On top of that the fan doesn't do a whole lot when the car is moving, its more for cooling the motor at slow speeds or when stopped. When the car is moving the heatsinks and the aluminum plate are pretty effective at dissipating heat, more so than the fan is because more air is moving past the motor and its connected heat dissipating plates/heatsinks. If you think the fan is doing much when the car is moving at high rates of speed then think about it like this. If you were in a parked car learning out the window holding a fan in front of your face it you would be able to feel it just fine and would have a nice cooling effect on you. However, if you were going down the highway at 70MPH doing the same thing you wouldnt feel the fan at all over the air moving past you due to your forward momentum.

As for how you think it looks, I'm not sure what that has to do with the debate because were talking about whether or not heatsinks are a gimmick, not how the case looks. That is a red herring argument and therefore a fallacy.

I'm happy to keep debating this is you wish but I think I've proved my point more than adequately.

The tranny case isnt even that heavy. Its all plastic except for the motor mounting plate and the heatsinks.

The heatsinks work because the metal motor is touching the metal mounting plate which is in turn touching the heatsinks. So how much it works is debatable because none of us has actually tested it but they do work to some degree. That much is fact, its science. Dont believe me? Look up Fourier's law of Conduction and Thermal Resistance. On top of that you can still put a fan on the motor. On top of that the fan doesn't do a whole lot when the car is moving, its more for cooling the motor at slow speeds or when stopped. When the car is moving the heatsinks and the aluminum plate are pretty effective at dissipating heat, more so than the fan is because more air is moving past the motor and its connected heat dissipating plates/heatsinks. If you think the fan is doing much when the car is moving at high rates of speed then think about it like this. If you were in a parked car learning out the window holding a fan in front of your face it you would be able to feel it just fine and would have a nice cooling effect on you. However, if you were going down the highway at 70MPH doing the same thing you wouldnt feel the fan at all over the air moving past you due to your forward momentum.

As for how you think it looks, I'm not sure what that has to do with the debate because were talking about whether or not heatsinks are a gimmick, not how the case looks. That is a red herring argument and therefore a fallacy.

I'm happy to keep debating this is you wish but I think I've proved my point more than adequately.
I agree with you 100%.

I don't understand why couple people got upset, I would assume they don't work for hot racing, so who cares what I think.

Metal transmission case looks like it is one piece and it's a big chunk of metal, even with no airflow it will take some heat from the motor. Let's say transmission case acts like a heatsink, I don't see adding 3 more heatsinks attached to a heatsink effective.

On nitro cars, aluminum chassis acts like a heatsink and will reduce some temperature, there is no doubt about it, but attaching extra heatsinks to the chassis to cool it is unnecessary and pointless.

The point what I wanted to make, if you dont have excessive heat issue, reducing motor temperature by a degree or two in the best case scenario will not make any difference. If you have excessive heat issue and motor is running 200f and over, those 3 heatsinks will not solve the issue.

You are.right about the fan, it will help when there is not a lot of airflow. In my b6.1 buggy I have both carbon and aluminum motor mount. I tried both and when it comes to temperature there is no difference at all, but like you mentioned, buggy has enclosed body with not a lot of airflow so without a fan you will cook a motor in the matter of minutes, especially running on high traction carpet track. Short course has an open body and some airflow but still not enough. But for race cars you have to run agressive timing and relatively tall gearing to keep up with the rest. For bashers I run stock gearing, or if an aftermarket motor, I run gearing to get me to about 45mph on 3s, and never overheated a motor.

Although I would never spend 54$ on transmission case because I never had any issue with stock case, and I don't want to add any extra weight, especially behind rear axle. I have to admit, the case itself look really nice, machining looks awesome, and I like black "stealthy" color with some raw aluminum lines. But those 3 blue heatsinks look kind a childish to me, and they reminded me like some kind of transformer or inductor coils.

Awesome race today :)

IMG_20221204_163417452_HDR.jpg

When I mentioned nitro, last week I bought nitro rs4 Evo+ 3 for 50$. Awesome shape but missing a tire, axle and servos
It looks like it's all metal, at least that's what they claim

IMG_20221201_202014173_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221201_202050644_HDR.jpg

20220815_235640 (1).jpg

Last edited:
gonna block him too. He is just being an asshat. Bye Bi***.
We are here on this forum to learn and share opinions about rc. I have learned a lot, especially about lipo batteries and testing from greywolf thread, even though I am almost 3 times older than you.

But besides rc, you should first learn to treat people with decency and respect, and not to use vulgar language

My 2 cents: I'd say the heatsinks have a significant enough effect, they have a surface area as big as the rest of the case and are more exposed to airflow. Putting some thermal paste on the interfaces would help, for sure. But even without it, I bet they do carry away some heat. Anyone have a FLIR camera? :)

Back