Tranny case and input shaft is toast

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
So I put the big monster truck tires on the rustler. After 5 mins of running the diff just locked up and started smoking in the rear. Once I began investigating, the pinion and spur gear was hot. I chipped the spur gear. And slipper clutch is toast. Spur gear shavings everywhere. And the motor input shaft couldn't spin probably because of the trans case. I saved the diff and idler gear and some bearings. Now my choices are to get the drag slash trans. Or prolines 32 pich gear trans, or a hot racing gear case. Since I am low on some money I will probably go with the hot racing case. With that I will also get a new input shaft, slipper clutch assembly or should I do a slipper delete? Also will get a spur gear. I am still running the stock driveshafts which are still fine but planning to get MIP axles for that. And also a fast Eddy bearing kit.

PXL_20221028_210332479.jpg

PXL_20221028_213440520.MP.jpg

PXL_20221028_213940626.jpg

Dude, did you check your motor temps after putting those big tires on there?

That was probably a combination of not gearing down after putting the MT tires on it and your slipper was probably also too loose if I had to take an educated guess. I would not do a slipper delete.

Yeah, the big tires probably caused the slipper to free spin a lot.

On your next tranny, make sure to not overtighten, hsve good bearings and lube. That should help some with heat.

Also some top gear shafts pull into the plastic causing the pin to bore into it. I've had that happen, miles from being this bad. I've had 2 of 7 transmissions do it.

So I put the big monster truck tires on the rustler. After 5 mins of running the diff just locked up and started smoking in the rear. Once I began investigating, the pinion and spur gear was hot. I chipped the spur gear. And slipper clutch is toast. Spur gear shavings everywhere. And the motor input shaft couldn't spin probably because of the trans case. I saved the diff and idler gear and some bearings. Now my choices are to get the drag slash trans. Or prolines 32 pich gear trans, or a hot racing gear case. Since I am low on some money I will probably go with the hot racing case. With that I will also get a new input shaft, slipper clutch assembly or should I do a slipper delete? Also will get a spur gear. I am still running the stock driveshafts which are still fine but planning to get MIP axles for that. And also a fast Eddy bearing kit.

View attachment 154853

View attachment 154854

View attachment 154855
That's why those tires are called lockups 🤣🤣

I have never seen something like this. Slipper was lose for sure. Transmission case is I believe 8$, slipper pads around 10$ and couple dollars extra for bearings

The slipper was probably set fine for the original tires but you add all that weight of putting MT tires on something that wasn't designed to run them and yeah, thats not going to be set right now.

He should get hop-up parts for it like a metal transmission case. look into it. Integy might have something.

Ahh snap!
That'll learn ya. 🤷‍♂️ 😆
Look at it this way, it's a hobby grade RC. You can rebuild it, and try again... just go with a different approach next time.

will his setup ever work more than a few feet? not from what I've seen him do and want to do in moding a product when someone can take advise and just do what they feel like.

He should get hop-up parts for it like a metal transmission case. look into it. Integy might have something.
I got the 272R transmission from jennys rc. I put that in my slash and put the slash stock 272 in the rustler. 272R is a plastic case but with a aluminum motor plate. The pin sits outside the plate so it won't dig into the plastic. Integy does have metal parts but didn't have a good time with their parts so far. The other metal case option would be hot racing
Look at it this way, it's a hobby grade RC. You can rebuild it, and try again... just go with a different approach next time.
This is what I do. Bash, break, be sad and sometimes throw tools, get a better part, and happy again. Lol.

I got the 272R transmission from jennys rc. I put that in my slash and put the slash stock 272 in the rustler. 272R is a plastic case but with a aluminum motor plate. The pin sits outside the plate so it won't dig into the plastic. Integy does have metal parts but didn't have a good time with their parts so far. The other metal case option would be hot racing

This is what I do. Bash, break, be sad and sometimes throw tools, get a better part, and happy again. Lol.
lol same with me!

Back