Tmrx4 defender

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
My wife got me a trx4 defender for christmas. I've been a really good boy and only played with it once since I'm not supposed to have it yet. My issue is that with the 324 mm wheelbase there seems to be little to no bodies available as I dont want to destroy the defender as it looks really nice. I have an erevo 2.0 body that lines up in the wheel wells. But I'm really looking for the best overall upgrades and dependability peices. It will be used mostly in a trail setting as there doesn't seem to be many good crawling spots but having the locking diffs and two speed were what sold me on the defender along with the wheel wells in the body not the chassis. Any help would be great thanks. I've never had a crawler so this is all new to me

20201212_010734.jpg

So its been about a month and a half and well this happened today wasn't doing anything but driving in the snow and not much else
20210213_233100.jpg

Long over due update. Got the replacement housing direct from traxxas. They did a one time warranty on it even though it was a non warranty item. Good guys there. I then decided to upgrade to metal housings on both trucks. Just finished that project.
20210626_143159.jpg
20210626_143221.jpg
20210626_153345.jpg

The sport has rc4wd king dual rate shocks and the wife's has custom aluminum ones. Looking to sell the hilux if anyone is interested send me a message I'm looking for something a little different. Toyotas aren't my thing so let me know

Post man dropped off an hpi dodge ram body today. Planning on doing a true scale version of the wife's 2002 ram we bought recently. I'll post pics as I get things done and of the finished pair next to each other

Post man dropped off an hpi dodge ram body today. Planning on doing a true scale version of the wife's 2002 ram we bought recently. I'll post pics as I get things done and of the finished pair next to each other
Are you doing a full interior?

Are you doing a full interior?
I'm thinking about it. That just may happen. I'm looking at materials for an interior and the material to build a truly custom trailer for it to pull. Flat bed trailers are easy I want to challenge myself with a two car enclosed trailer

Ordered a full set of general grabber tires for the wife's raptor. She really likes the looks of them as a trail tire which is what she drives mostly. Also ordered a 12 led set of lights for her raptor as well.
71np+RAsJDL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Took the raptor out and grenaded a portal gear set in the left rear. It was completely locked up so I looked at it when I got home and changed the whole portal set with mine. At least her truck is up and running and thats OK. I'm still working on the sport so I could afford to cannibalize mine a little for her. Waiting on ups for the light kit that's supposed to be here today for the raptor. I'll get it installed and show it off

Took the raptor out and grenaded a portal gear set in the left rear. It was completely locked up so I looked at it when I got home and changed the whole portal set with mine. At least her truck is up and running and thats OK. I'm still working on the sport so I could afford to cannibalize mine a little for her. Waiting on ups for the light kit that's supposed to be here today for the raptor. I'll get it installed and show it off
I like the tires but whats a portal gear set? I'm not familiar.

Porter axles drops the hub of the wheels about an inch lower. Thus, raising the entire axle for more ground clearance. Hope this makes sense.View attachment 129494

View attachment 129496
Perfect, thank You!

This is the portal gear set. They are the gears that drive the wheels on a trx-4. It's where the wheels actually bolt onto the truck
View attachment 129495
Got the lights installed. I think they look pretty slickView attachment 129497View attachment 129498
You definitely got that thing looking good

Thanks @Greywolf74 I've been working on it. I think it's about where the wife is happy with it. I'm slowly working on my sport just can't seem to get it where I want it mainly since I'm not really sure what I want from it. I put a surpass hobby 10 turn crawler system in it but now the transmission needs a different gear set put an aluminum drive shift on the rear and it has alloy axles and portal covers in the front. It also has rc4wd king dual rate shocks. Started messing with it and put jconcepts monster truck tires and wheels on it lol. Looks like an old monster truck from the 80s now
20210713_184845.jpg

Worked on the sport today and did some scavenging of parts to get my clodbuster up and going again. I only need a reciever steering servo and a lower link....... just putting this out there if you do a vertical axle mount servo on a clodbuster the front lower link of a trx4 is exactly the length you need lol 🤣
20210720_235333.jpg