Thunder Tiger Evo-12 swapped into a Kyosho FW-06

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the SH engine, the clutch system from VX is a straight fit? No need for any modification?

As far as I can tell, yes. It even appears to be stock on some sub-makes of HSP. It doesn't have a keyed spacer but uses a split cone and thrust washer for the same overall layout.

I have a handful of HSP 1/10ths - both version of the flying fish, the "Rally car" version which appears to be mechanically identical to the buggy, and a monster truck I'm converting to pivot ball in a project that's gone wayyyy over-schedule, that's got the TRX 3.3 swapped into it.

IMG20220904181532.jpg

As far as I can tell, yes. It even appears to be stock on some sub-makes of HSP. It doesn't have a keyed spacer but uses a split cone and thrust washer for the same overall layout.

I have a handful of HSP 1/10ths - both version of the flying fish, the "Rally car" version which appears to be mechanically identical to the buggy, and a monster truck I'm converting to pivot ball in a project that's gone wayyyy over-schedule, that's got the TRX 3.3 swapped into it.

View attachment 151822
Oh wow, thanks for the pics, was about to ask.

That means the flywheel from vx cannot be fitted on SH due to it being square slotted?

Or was it just the spacer that was slotted? But leaving the spacer out aint gonna work either?

Oh wow, thanks for the pics, was about to ask.

That means the flywheel from vx cannot be fitted on SH due to it being square slotted?

Oh, it can. It's just a 5mm plain bore, it sits against the thrust washer. The SH engine includes its own thrust washer the way the VX engine includes its own keyed spacer. The flywheel goes over that, and then the pilot shaft.

Very good job on that trx and the tmaxx pipe and header. Using stock trx carb?

I have 3 brand new trx 3.3 ans 1 2.5. Was gonna sell them all, just can't get over how poopy trx carb is.

Very good job on that trx and the tmaxx pipe and header. Using stock trx carb?

I have 3 brand new trx 3.3 ans 1 2.5. Was gonna sell them all, just can't get over how poopy trx carb is.

Thanks, I think you saw it in its original thread. I only ran it a few times with its original carb and had issues getting the idle down.

I sprang for the OS 11k, I think we discussed it back on one of your resoration threads. I haven't run it yet, ironically. Too many projects in parallel. I'm kinda tempted to try and put a 2.5 or 3.3 in a flying fish since I've figured out the layout for it.

New 3.3's go for >$100 each on ebay. You could sell one, get an 11k, and make one of the others into a great engine!

Thanks, I think you saw it in its original thread. I only ran it a few times with its original carb and had issues getting the idle down.

I sprang for the OS 11k, I think we discussed it back on one of your resoration threads. I haven't run it yet, ironically. Too many projects in parallel. I'm kinda tempted to try and put a 2.5 or 3.3 in a flying fish since I've figured out the layout for it.

New 3.3's go for >$100 each on ebay. You could sell one, get an 11k, and make one of the others into a great engine!

It is impossible to get the idle down on traxxas carb. The only way to do it is to richen the LSN, but then its too rich.
Reason is, traxxas carbs do not close past a certain point, no matter how much you unscrew the idle screw.
I realized this after years of thinking it was my tuning, until I obtained other brands such as Kyosho and HPI, and I have to say even HSP.

That runs quite well, did you also find that traxxas engines run really hot?

That runs quite well, did you also find that traxxas engines run really hot?

I haven't had the chance to really run it hard yet, but it ran fairly cool for me. Under 250 F on Sidewinder 20/12%.

I think part of the problem is that 3.3 is still a small block and they try to use it where a .21-.28 would be more appropriate, like how the Savage has a big block by default.

The HSP truck is smaller than a T-Maxx or Revo by several pounds, so the engine can throw it around more easily and isn't under constant load just to keep the truck moving. The 3.3 is ideally sized for a Jato or 4tec, especially on smooth surfaces, but underpowered in something that's going to be pushing a lot of weight through grass.

Last edited:
I haven't had the chance to really run it hard yet, but it ran fairly cool for me. Under 250 F on Sidewinder 20/12%.

I think part of the problem is that 3.3 is still a small block and they try to use it where a .21-.28 would be more appropriate, like how the Savage has a big block by default.

The HSP truck is smaller than a T-Maxx or Revo by several pounds, so the engine can throw it around more easily and isn't under constant load just to keep the truck moving. The 3.3 is ideally sized for a Jato or 4tec, especially on smooth surfaces, but underpowered in something that's going to be pushing a lot of weight through grass.

I can tell you Revo was definitely underpowered for driving on grassy fields, and that thing ran hot. Never owned a Tmaxx, I'd imagine it would be slightly lighter than a Revo. It ran really hot, no matter how much I richened it, to be honest it almost put me off nitros, as I thought I was crap at tuning.
I have sold the Revo and now only own a Slash and Rustler nitro (would love to replace the rustler with a Jato).
Both have a 3.3, and Rustler is now overpowered haha, hard to keep front wheels on the ground.
TRX engines I find quite powerful/grunt, I wonder if its something to do with the way they designed ports on the sleeve?

Can the fly wheel space be purchased separately?

Yup, here and other places. Part number "TE15-19" A bit overpriced for a metal disk, but such is the hobby.

I am keen to find out why traxxas idle gap cannot be closed more, wondering whats stoping it....

I've read that observation before... Maybe it's a deliberate feature, so that if it isn't starting, resetting to factory settings always has a solid shot at getting it going.

I think Traxxas attempted the impossible of to making nitro accessible to non-hobbyists with its EZ-start system. You can tell that's what they were going for just by the name.

Making a carb that always runs a little hot but is easier to start as a result might have been on purpose, kind of like their allegedly mediocre fuel that has a high oil content; it's intended to be foolproof.

Last edited: