thoughts on truck & electric start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberneck

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi guys, i'm new to rc. I bought a redcat hurricane xtr & so far seems to be pretty decent car with the exception of not as tough as i would hoped & parts & upgrade availability suck. (i wish i got on this site before i bought it). So i'm currently looking at nitro trucks & the hpi savage x 4.6 really got my attention. The only thing i'm not sure about is the electric start. I like pull start on redcat because you have the feel of whats going on with engine. Whats your thoughts of truck & electric start? Thanks in advance.

i use a glow plug wand and a ez start on my t maxx, and i for one love it. fires right up nice and smooth. that's my 2 cents !

pull start is less complications. i have a revo with ez start. has worked great for the last 3 months. but the one way bearing was slipping on me so iv fixed that but while i was trying to start it with it slipping a bit it has done something with the glow plug heater part in the wand. so I'm gonna have a look at it today. but i have the pull start gear on its way atm from the states as a backup.

That's the sort of thing that i worry about using ez start. I think i might give it try if i get savage because it comes with it but thinking i will get pull start any way. any one own a savage x 4.6? Just wondering if they hold up as good as they say & if they have good power / speed

The savage comes with a roto-start, not an ez-start. Its more like a drill with a wand that slides into the backplate of the engine. They work very well, the only downfall is you have to carry it around with you. Other than that, the savage is a great, durable truck!

i use a drill start works great
had pull start when i got it but I'm 6'1" and my truk is 1/6th not a good combination

Roto start is easier than pull start but you do have an extra piece of equipment to carry around and you will most likely replace your OWB a little more often. If your truck is tuned and your adept at tuning and re-tuning your engine then pull start is less stuff. EZ-start is nice in a way but I honestly dont like the added weight on the kit personally. That being said they do work pretty well. The starter is smaller and lighter than roto start though. ROSS starters suck becasue they use your RX batt for power.....if it wasn't for that Id say it was better than EZ-Start. (ROSS is Losi version of Traxxas's EZ Starter)