This Noobs Trying To Build A Rc, Watch Out! Or Help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So been wanting to build a rc with my dad whos 71, we have always wanted to build something together and i finally after 10 years was able to go a couple states over to his place and then covid hit and well i stuck around to help so what better to do than to build a rc. well i went and got a toyan fs l200 engine then realized i was in over my head. like way over my head. i can't even reach it from here its that high up there. we dont want a rtr but we dont know exactly what all we need to get or where to get it. all we know is we want to build a 1/10 scale rock crawler for when we arent driving around in the can-am maverick xrc turbo rr. plus be kinda cool to race around the campfire with it when we get good enough to do it safely. a kit would be wonderful minus the engine. The things i really need to know is all the components i will need like the servos and there type, transmission, connections for the motor and radio equipment and wiring etc. any help would be awesome and a list would have us jumping for joy, well i will, my dad will try.

Did you get just the engine or did you get the whole kit like THIS. That kind of engine is not something youd typically put in an RC and especially not a crawler. Crawlers dont do so well with nitro/gas engines. They are generally electric.

As for the engine/kit did it not come with instructions on how to put it together? As for what else you need its kinda hard to say without knowing what you currently have or what your ultimate goal to build is. If its a crawler you're after then you're going to want to go electric which means aside from the kit (The SCX10 III is popular) You'll need an electric motor and electronic speed controller (ESC), high torque servo, LiPo battery, LiPo battery charger, and a transmitter and receiver. Once we zero in on what you really want then we can talk specific brands/models of components to buy.

Welcome in @Grim , there is several youtube videos that document builds. Crawlers are really easy to build and a ton of fun.
Your best bet is to pick a platform like SCX10, TRX4, and many others. I really like the SCX10 because you can find any part you need on amazon.
Most important advise would be, have fun and be prepared because the addiction has begun... :p

If you want to use the Toyan in something you absolutely must check out Dennis Dempsey on YouTube. He uses those engines in everything from Tamiya Bruisers to road cars. He is a master at making things work and he will give you tons of ideas. Here is just one of his many, many videos on a Toyan build.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Guess i didnt hit submit. I'm fired. Yeah i only purchased the engine itself and the glowplug and fuel tank with starter wires kit. I dont have any other supplies for it. I want to build something with it. But if its recommended to go electric for a rock crawler i will, but we would still like to build something that we can use the toyan in that will give us some enjoyment as well. Thank you all for your responses and i will checkout the recommended videos and kits you have suggested so far. Anything more will be much appreciated.

Guess i didnt hit submit. I'm fired. Yeah i only purchased the engine itself and the glowplug and fuel tank with starter wires kit. I dont have any other supplies for it. I want to build something with it. But if its recommended to go electric for a rock crawler i will, but we would still like to build something that we can use the toyan in that will give us some enjoyment as well. Thank you all for your responses and i will checkout the recommended videos and kits you have suggested so far. Anything more will be much appreciated.
I keep telling Dennis to do more build videos. His Toyan equipped RC's are just amazing. I would love to do a build with one. Something like a 32 Ford Coupe would be awesome, and allow you to show off that engine. A Rat Rod would be SWEET!

Toyan makes full kits for cars to use their engines. I've contemplated trying to shoehorn that L400 into a 1/8 scale MT :)

I've seen other guys on youtube do this and its pretty awesome.

I've seen other guys on youtube do this and its pretty awesome.

Yup. I wonder about the L400 a lot. Like a LOT. :D I believe it's rated at something like 3.5 hp, which seems kind of low for a four cylinder nitro engine, and it doesn't go past 15k rpms, but I suspect the torque on that thing is off the chart if it's anything like the 1:1 inline six engines I remember in trucks back in the day. Seems like it could be an intriguing power plant option for solid axle MT's and that style of racing.

It definitely leans towards the hobbyist that loves to tinker. I honestly don't see a logical use for it but cool regardless.

Yup. I wonder about the L400 a lot. Like a LOT. :D I believe it's rated at something like 3.5 hp, which seems kind of low for a four cylinder nitro engine, and it doesn't go past 15k rpms, but I suspect the torque on that thing is off the chart if it's anything like the 1:1 inline six engines I remember in trucks back in the day. Seems like it could be an intriguing power plant option for solid axle MT's and that style of racing.
Well, you figure you have 4 cylinders instead of 1. This engine could turn a pinion the size of the moon.

Well, you figure you have 4 cylinders instead of 1. This engine could turn a pinion the size of the moon.

I wouldn't doubt that at all. I have enough trouble with my SH .28 p8 destroying drive and swing shafts, would probably have to fab some seriously beefy ones.

I wouldn't doubt that at all. I have enough trouble with my SH .28 p8 destroying drive and swing shafts, would probably have to fab some seriously beefy ones.
Yeah, I bet. That Dennis Dempsey has been installing the Toyan's in everything, and has been since they came out. They are really powerful engines.

Toyan makes full kits for cars to use their engines. I've contemplated trying to shoehorn that L400 into a 1/8 scale MT :)
Yeah but they sell them with the engine, and uf u want just the rest of the kit without the motor, you dont get the servos and electronic setup frim what i saw
Figure uf i dont end up using the engine on a car or something i should make a campfire generator ir something slightly usefull thats highly unnecessary but cool. ◉‿◉

Yeah but they sell them with the engine, and uf u want just the rest of the kit without the motor, you dont get the servos and electronic setup frim what i saw
Figure uf i dont end up using the engine on a car or something i should make a campfire generator ir something slightly usefull thats highly unnecessary but cool. ◉‿◉
seen 1 in the 90's it was a steam 1 that would put out a little more than 1000 watts..

If you want to use the Toyan in something you absolutely must check out Dennis Dempsey on YouTube. He uses those engines in everything from Tamiya Bruisers to road cars. He is a master at making things work and he will give you tons of ideas. Here is just one of his many, many videos on a Toyan build.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Those little toyan things are awesome from a mechanics perspective, I’d have one just to use as a toy and show off haha

Those little toyan things are awesome from a mechanics perspective, I’d have one just to use as a toy and show off haha
Yeah I know what you mean. Just mounting one on a scale engine stand would be cool to have on a shelf. But I would rather have this Conley supercharged V8 😉

seen 1 in the 90's it was a steam 1 that would put out a little more than 1000 watts..
I’ve got mamod traction engine with working steam boiler, that’s cool!
Yeah I know what you mean. Just mounting one on a scale engine stand would be cool to have on a shelf. But I would rather have this Conley supercharged V8 😉
Oh that’s beautiful! Would have that out every day haha
Just saw a v6 nitro engine on JohnnyQ90’s YouTube channel that was mad too! These engines are wicked I just need to win the lotto to afford them all haha 😂👍

I’ve got mamod traction engine with working steam boiler, that’s cool!

Oh that’s beautiful! Would have that out every day haha
Just saw a v6 nitro engine on JohnnyQ90’s YouTube channel that was mad too! These engines are wicked I just need to win the lotto to afford them all haha 😂👍
Yeah, I am scared to look at the price of that Conley. The last one I looked at was their scaled down Viper V10 that if I remember correctly was $15,000. Maybe it was $9,000. But anything over $1000 is way out of my budget lol.
bw3g56p.jpg

Back