Thinking about a dirt oval car for next summer. Looking for input.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
There’s a handful of dirt/clay oval tracks reasonably close to where I live. I’m thinking about putting together a car for next year. I do not want something that’s RTR based like an SR10 or a Mudboss. I’d like to build something from maybe a B6.4 kit or something similar. What classes should I look into based on that?

I’d be down to put together something like a full scale dirt modified (I think that’s what they’re called, the ones with the big wing on top) or something based on a real car. I think it’s called Street Stock.

Also is there any 4wd classes? As a general rule I prefer driving 4wd’s but I rarely see that being discussed in any dirt oval conversations.

Minor comment, the "big wing" cars are called sprint cars.

I'm a little jealous that you're in a good area for RC dirt oval; that's the only motorsport that I actually care to be a spectator / fan of - particularly, dirt late model. We don't have any dirt oval racing near where I live (to my knowledge).

Minor comment, the "big wing" cars are called sprint cars.

I'm a little jealous that you're in a good area for RC dirt oval; that's the only motorsport that I actually care to be a spectator / fan of - particularly, dirt late model. We don't have any dirt oval racing near where I live (to my knowledge).
Yes sprint cars! The dirt modifieds are the ones that are more full bodied and have a low roof line, no windshield and the engine is pushed way back into the firewall right?

I grew up just over the hill from the Flemington Speedway. My parents however were NYC born and raised so I didn’t even get the chance to realize how cool that stuff was until after I was able to get out on my own with my drivers license. That was in the final days of the track before it got shuttered and turned into a big box mall. “Progress” right?

Hey BarnFab, here is a useful primer on dirt oval set-up. I used it back when running my back yard grass oval. It may be of value to you regarding the extent of set-up needed for dirt oval. Good luck. 'AC'

Attachments

• Murfdogg_Chassis_Tuning_101.pdf
    451 KB · Views: 115
It's been a few years since I ran oval, but my personal favorite class was 4WD Late Model:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...W-PR-Racing-SB401-LW&perpage=100#post41360325

1695392079879.png

Yes sprint cars! The dirt modifieds are the ones that are more full bodied and have a low roof line, no windshield and the engine is pushed way back into the firewall right?

I grew up just over the hill from the Flemington Speedway. My parents however were NYC born and raised so I didn’t even get the chance to realize how cool that stuff was until after I was able to get out on my own with my drivers license. That was in the final days of the track before it got shuttered and turned into a big box mall. “Progress” right?
Here's a video of some modifieds racing against some late models - the mods are the ones that look like they have a wing built into their bodies, whereas the late-models look a little more like "funny-looking NASCAR cars":

Late-model is a little more prestigious and the cars are faster than modifieds. Sprints are the Big Dogs, but races are generally shorter. I enjoy late-model for the balance of "it goes really fast" vs "races are long enough for drivers to play the long game with regards to when they attack / defend / what lines they run".

I didn't get into it until a few years ago. I always thought that oval == boring, until one of my best friends dragged me down to Eldora to watch the World 100. We've been nearly every year since. Best racing I've ever witnessed.

...I always thought that oval == boring...

Having raced oval myself for about a year I can say it's a completely different form of racing... with off-road your "pucker factor" only kicks in when trying to make a pass, and with oval you're constantly trying to make a pass and it's all about getting through traffic and trying to avoid the less experienced drivers.

My only issue with oval was tire wear making it cost prohibitive for me.

Back