The "What did you buy today?" thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new range bag from Red Rock outdoors, split 1000rds of Aguila SuperExtra 40gr .22LR with a friend, some carabiners and straps for hanging steel targets, a Bog Pod XSR shooting rest that will be modded with an arca swiss mount, a couple new ball head tripods, two 50mm arca swiss mounting plates, and a Sig Sauer Kilo 1200 laser range finder.

And finally, my camera gear was decent, 10+ years ago. Trying to film bullet impacts on steel really shows the short comings in zoom range these days, so I ordered a new Panasonic Lumix (my old one has been fantastic!) FZ80 mainly for shooting video while at our private ranges. 60x optical zoom, or 20-1200mm in camera gear head terms. Should be here Friday, so I'll get to test it out on Saturday.

When I went down to my sister house a few months back to help her out ,an clean her yard up ,she had a target made of
metal ,her husband had made it at work ,it was made out of rebarb ,free standing with a pipe at the top an it free spun
around on the rebarb with another plate hanging rod & plate down off the pipe ,so every time you hit it ,the plate
would spin ,it had bullet holes in the plate from shooting it!
Her husband passed away ,but that day when I pulled it out of the weeds ,her eye's just lit up!...:cool:

Steel is fun because there's no doubt if you hit or not, and no need to go change targets. Just put a fresh coat of marker paint over the steel at the start of the day so you can spot your impacts. You have to buy good steel to stand up to high powered stuff, and even then, it has to be XXX yards away for certain calibers. All our steel is AR500 in various thicknesses from reputable manufacturers. For high powered centerfire rifle stuff, we can't shoot it closer than 100yds with 5.56, 200yds with .308, and 300yds with the .300 win. mag. And that's all calculated by the amount of energy the round still has at that range.

Steel is fun because there's no doubt if you hit or not, and no need to go change targets. Just put a fresh coat of marker paint over the steel at the start of the day so you can spot your impacts. You have to buy good steel to stand up to high powered stuff, and even then, it has to be XXX yards away for certain calibers. All our steel is AR500 in various thicknesses from reputable manufacturers. For high powered centerfire rifle stuff, we can't shoot it closer than 100yds with 5.56, 200yds with .308, and 300yds with the .300 win. mag. And that's all calculated by the amount of energy the round still has at that range.

They have various guns ,from those assault looking AR's that shoot the 22 rounds ,revolvers & auto's ,shot guns an a
military in field rifles ,not sure what all of them are ,she also toted a auto of some sort in her purse!
They had six kids ,all girls ,they are all grown up now an out living on their own ,but they all knew how to handle
a weapon before 10 years old!....LOL
That was one of their family pass times ,was to go out an target shoot!

Yep, that's what got me into it at a very young age. One of my Grandfathers was a gunsmith on the side, and both sides of my whole family enjoyed shooting, hunting, etc. Target shooting and marksmanship is probably the only hobby I've always stuck with, while others come and go. I enjoy the challenge of it, and the fact that the focus and concentration it takes makes me forget about other things going on in my day to day life, even for a little while.

Too much rain and lightning for R/C here in Florida so more range time equals more ammo purchases. Also bought 8 Glock 23 mags so I don’t reload at the range.

87F4F2C9-FC46-46AD-A500-3BE405E3641E.jpeg

Ugh... I have issues. Just ordered a set of Thunder Tiger MT4 tires/wheels for my ERBEv2. Didn't want the traxxas ones, hate their bead style. Found some guy who loved the mt4 tires on his revo and they fit well without rubbing. I just hope they aren't as heavy as the trencher 3.8's I have sitting here that I'm fighting with myself to not put on.

That's 2 purchases in 2 days on stuff I don't have a lot of info about. Yesterday's was for titanium towers for my outcast from a guy on ebay in Russia.

I need to get off the internet!

Already mentioned the purchase. But, the BATFE is on point these days. Efile form 1, submitted 7/18/19, approved today. :thumbs-up:

VsVN8nA.png

Nice!

Picked up a couple Garrett Industries holsters for our .44 and .357 snubbies. They’re a kydex and leather lined hybrid holster.

Picked up a new external dock for my laptop. Now I can leave my external drive plugged in when I need to drag my laptop somewhere...

Shock shafts for my 21TM revo, snapped one today.
Front/rear diffs and bulkheads for my ERBEv2. Got a noise while out bashing, but I don't have any spare "v2" parts for the diffs. Figured I should get them on hand before I crack it open to see what's going on. May just need oil/cups/grease/bearings. Figured it can't hurt to have spares of the diffs/bulkheads on hand for it as it's been a blast to drive.

From my previous post, the Thunder Tiger MT4 tires/wheels were not a direct fit. They are 1oz lighter than the trencher 3.8's, the same height, a bit narrower but the tamiya keyed hex has different spacing than traxxas uses. Guessing to avoid a lawsuit... so I spent an hour with an exacto knife cutting the hex's to fit, then balanced them (had to use 1/8th oz lead, in addition to lead tape, they were pretty far off), two wraps of 300lb kevlar string and ran it today for 2 hard packs worth. They did really well. Stiffer rubber compound than the trenchers, but they added just enough rotational mass to make flips a bit more possible (which are really hard to do with my v2) and they cushion the landings some.
2019-0809-ERBEv2-ThunderTigerMT4G3Tires-front.jpg

Can see the tires running here:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...-revo-at-the-bmx-track-and-skate-park.126617/

Last edited:
I picked up a new air compressor (1.8HP, 26gal, 150psi) for the garage, and not pictured is a 50ft kink free air hose and a 4ft folding plastic table for the basement work area. I'm hoping the compressor will work for what I'm needing to do with it, we'll see sometime this week. I hope so, as it's silly quiet for an air compressor.

hUtxRKE.jpg

Got a myriad of stuff lately...
ERBEv2 -
Battery doors, again
Wing mount
Wing
Push rod ends
Pair of spare push rods
Tie rod ends
Ended up going with trencher 3.8's on it because the aforementioned MT4 busted the center out of one of the wheels on the 3rd bash.

Outcast -
M2C chassis
DS3225 25KG Coreless Digital RC Servo from amazon to replace the savox 1210sg that died
3 wing mounts (1 rpm, 2 arrma)
New ball ends
New diff/bulkhead
Shims from hobbyking for the diff pinion and ring gear (alloy cups are fighting me)
Kraton v4 steering rack to get the captured ball ends, so tired of those popping off

A bunch of fans... kind of went fan crazy. Got 3 30mm alloy fans from rcjuice for motor fans to have on hand and 4 GDT 3007s 30x7 high rpm fans from ebay for esc's, one on amazon that isn't all that fast, but needed it quick for the erbev2 esc (old hpi blur esc, MMv1).

Also got a couple traxxas Y connector's and 4S plugs so I could make a couple parallel charging cables so I can charge 8 packs at a time, since I seem to take 2 big trucks with me every time lately vs a big one (2 packs) and a small 1 (1 pack).

Stuff just never ends...

Couldn't find any of my old RCNitroTalk stickers from back in the day for the probodyrc body I finally put on the outcast:
2019-0911-Outcast-ProBodyRC-BodyInstalled-Side.jpg

Need to peal those savox stickers off there since it died on me on my second pack yesterday. Lasted a year... guess I expected more out of an $85 servo. Will see how the $30 one does. lol!

I picked up a new air compressor (1.8HP, 26gal, 150psi) for the garage, and not pictured is a 50ft kink free air hose and a 4ft folding plastic table for the basement work area. I'm hoping the compressor will work for what I'm needing to do with it, we'll see sometime this week. I hope so, as it's silly quiet for an air compressor.

hUtxRKE.jpg
I'm jealous ??

Thanks, very happy with it for sure.

Picked up a cheap media blasting gun for soda blasting, a new Xbox controller that has bluetooth for use with my Steamlink and iPad once IOS 13 hits next week, and a Nikon SPUR reflex optic.

XjqI9ew.jpg

Camry? I don't know toyota's that well. We bought our first Toyota a month or two ago... 2016 camry:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/the-what-did-you-buy-today-thread.88421/post-1250421

Geez, guess it's been 3 or 4 months already! Very similar to yours. I really like that color on a car... I've had 4 cars now that were that color or very near to it.

It's a 2016 Camry. They have a reputation for great reliability. I got 32+ mpg on the trip home with mine.

Last edited: