The Ugly Truckling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brass stock for the rectangular rails and the cross supports is hollow. It will be cut and soldered with reinforcement plates at each connection. I can't use an iron on the heavy stock, and my other torches are overkill on light stock, so I also picked up a BernzOmatic butane micro torch for the project.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the stock I got, and you'll be able to see it more clearly.
I also noticed that the axle assemblies I linked to in the other thread have adjustable mounts for the width.
It won't be a shelf queen, but it definitely won't need the strength of a basher since I'll be looking to protect the body.

I've been looking long and hard at the two crawler frames.
My original intent was to cut and solder the angles indicated, and add external plates ground to the angle to support it (similar to the plates supporting the springs, but used to reinforce the angles.

Frame3D.jpg

Now, after looking at this one, I'll be using solid frame stock so I can bend the front frames in for steering clearance and also add a substantial amount of strength to the whole assembly.

FrameTop1.jpg

I also found my trans on the Rock Crawler site. $69. Next I'll have to search for the drive shafts.

Last edited:
Stephan makes some absolutely incredible scale accessories. His actual working winch is one of the coolest things I have seen for a scale rig. His stuff ain't cheap by any means, but it is top notch stuff.

Just so you don't think I've been goofing off ALL the time, here are the latest updates for the Ugly Truckling:

The tires and wheels, before and after.
Also a muffler soldered together from brass sheet and rod,
holes rotted through, and the seam split.

before_and_after.jpg

Muffler.jpg

You can see that the mud in the treads on the tire on the right
hasn't dried yet. The tires were also run on a disk sander to wear the tread and round the edges. From shiny smooth black, to just really old and worn.

Tire1.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed as always. Since I got to see these in person, I know exactly how muc work has gone into them. They're absolutely beautiful!

I can't believe the detail in that thing. TRUE talent! Good job Rolex keep it up.

The size of these, compared to the 2.2s that are in it now, are just the perfect scale for the truck. Easy to say, now that they're done, but it's 2-3 hours per wheel.

:OMG: Nothing else to say.....

I just drafted up some plans today and started laying out the brass. I'll be able to build the main frame rails, but I won't be able to connect them with the cross members till I have the axles to set up for width measurements. You can see I made a few changes as to the angle of the connection, and now that's been changed to the brass overlay you see, to allow for maximum surface area for soldering.

BrassFrame1.jpg

Mounted the new tires today. Perfect scale for this truck. Thanks to Charlie.

NewTires.jpg

Closeup of the muffler and pipe.

Muffler2.jpg

Last edited:
Rolex,

You just keep taking this project further and further and it looks amazing!

-Michael

Thanks a lot. Wait till it has the scale interior and full frame.
I only hope I can stop before I start with a mini straight 6 for it.

Very awesome progress Ralph!! Really nice details too, love it.:whhooo:

I wanna see the mini straight six myself... lol That truck looks unbelievable bud...

I'm glad that the wheels and tires turned out so nice. It makes all the frustration that I went through trying to find a set very worthwhile. If you can think of anything else that you need, let me know and I'll keep a good watch out.

Back