The Lawntoy 2.4Ghz!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I busted my butt all day again today on this but i think its finally finished. I managed to cut my entire yard with it today although it took all day cuz every time I turned around something was messing up on the mower. Id have to fix/redesign something seemed like everytime I turned around but I believe I finally got her sturdy enough to take the abuse.

So I started by taking the brakes off the motors. The piece on the end is the electromagnet that drives the brake. The black ring you see sandwiched in between the motor and the brake magnet is the brake disk itself.

View attachment 128699

Heres what the motor looks like with the brake pad and the brake magnet removed.
View attachment 128700

Heres the entire brake assembly
View attachment 128701

Heres the brake assembly torn down in to its individual pieces.
View attachment 128702

The brake disks
View attachment 128703

When you remove the brake disk and you try to put the assembly back together theres a gap and I didnt want dirt and contaminates getting in there so I fashioned some crude spacers out of a piece of subflooring I had laying around. I drilled holes for the screws and I drilled out the centers to make room for the hex that is supposed to lock in to the brake pad.
View attachment 128704
View attachment 128705

and finally the brake assemblies all put back together and ready to go back on the motors.
View attachment 128706

Ok, so then I thought I was all set but shortly after I started trying to mow my lawn with it all the pot holes, sticks, stones etc started to take its toll on the front wheels and they were starting to bend backwards. Bear in mind that this thing probably way 65-75 lbs. so hitting bumps is really hard on the much smaller front wheels. Next redesign I'm going for bigger caster wheels in the front. Might look in to those ones that someone earlier in the thread said were specifically for lawnmowers. At any rate here it is after I re-enforced the crap out of the front :)
View attachment 128707View attachment 128708

Next I'm gonna work on making some vinyl decals for the side of her that say "Lawntoy 2.4Ghz" :)
And last but not least, heres the video yall have been waiting to see. Bear in mind that this running video was shot before I re-enforced the front so right toward the end of the vid if you see the front wheels looking like they are pushed back a bit,....well now you know why :)

Oh and just incase anyone is curious I'm jumping up to running four 4S 5000+mah Lipos. With 20Ah of capacity that will be enough to mow my 1/3 acre lawn. 10Ah was enough to do my front yard (65% of my lawn). I might be able to get away with 15Ah but I dont want to chance it since I have no LVC or telemetry on this.

Great stuff ,I take it ,your retiring from mowing your yard?...:cheers:
But seriously ,you did an awesome job on it!..:thumbs-up:....:cool:

Oh dayum. I had a vision in my head of how cool this was going to look, but this blew that image up with plastic explosive and a truck load of TNT (welcome to the forum NSA).

The starting with an impact gun - my dad had a thriving small engine repair business and I never once saw him do that!

And watching it run - cool as hell. Anyone else have flashbacks of the movie "Maximum Overdrive" going through their head while watching this?

Great job!
I loved that movie growing up. And the spinoff "trucks" which was the same with different people and setting.

The only non key starts I've done is a drill and a pocket bike. Spun the fly wheel, only once the engine started it backed out. The fun days of 16 and broke. 😂

Good work on the mower. Looks good. I'm just curious how hard it would be to turn blades on and off and have an adjustable throttle.

Drew my design out years ago but then gave up at this stage. Its somewhere next to the rc powerwheels.

How did I not see this until now? Awesome job :D

As for the name....."What could go wrong?".

How did I not see this until now? Awesome job :D

As for the name....."What could go wrong?".
Thanks, I appreciate it :)
Post automatically merged:

I decided just to make sure I got plenty of battery power I ordered 4x 10000mAh 4S Liperior packs to run in parallel for a total of 40000mAh of run time. Should be enough juice to mow my lawn and may neighbors. Figured it was the easiest solution to not having telemetry to see batt voltage

Last edited:
I can teach you how to weld grey.. what's your poison? smaw,mig.tig .short arc.we can actually go the way I 1st started to weld. coat hanger and cutting torch with a welding tip..

Ill probably tackle Mig first eventually since I have a good friend who lives close by that knows how to mig weld. but it might be a little bit before I'm back in action. Stupid heart attack gettin in the way of my RC fun! 😡

I can teach you how to weld grey.. what's your poison? smaw,mig.tig .short arc.we can actually go the way I 1st started to weld. coat hanger and cutting torch with a welding tip..
Thats awesome coat hanger. Hot hot does that have to be to work. Thick a** copper wire basically?

Thats awesome coat hanger. Hot hot does that have to be to work. Thick a** copper wire basically?
You just heat the surfaces to molten then start feeding the wire in. Oxy-Acetylene welding was my favorite in shop class. We only had one tig and ya never could get time on it. So I just spent my time perfecting my beads on the torches.

Got my 4s 10k mah lipos in for the lawntoy
20210709_132709.jpg

Oh, so shiney. And they just look like they belong in a badass mower. But don't be tempted to go monkeying around yet. How long did the doc tell ya to take it easy?
I figured the nice yellow wrappers with the green body would give it a John deere look lol.

Idk they didn't give me specific time frames they just told me to get rested up first and then start of with slow 15-20 minute walks on the treadmill and build up from there.

These new meds got me feeling like crap so I'm in no hurry to jump back into the thick of things just yet. The mind is willing but not so much the body

What transmitter are you using and how do you control the motors? Using channel mixing or something like an RC tank? That would probably be the easiest, then you could more easily drive in straight line.

What transmitter are you using and how do you control the motors? Using channel mixing or something like an RC tank? That would probably be the easiest, then you could more easily drive in straight line.
Flysky GT3b TX/RX. Dont have to do anything special with the TX, the motors are controlled via a wheelchair motor controller board that takes the input signal from channels 1 and 2 on the RX and translates it into which way to spin the wheelchair motors/tires.

This part is the motor driver
20210627_204433.jpg

Flysky GT3b TX/RX. Dont have to do anything special with the TX, the motors are controlled via a wheelchair motor controller board that takes the input signal from channels 1 and 2 on the RX and translates it into which way to spin the wheelchair motors/tires.

This part is the motor driver
View attachment 131333
You say that like it is all a cakewalk. Meanwhile, I am sitting here in awe at this whole build.
902.gif

You say that like it is all a cakewalk. Meanwhile, I am sitting here in awe at this whole build.
View attachment 131336
YUP 100% AGREE WITH THAT... I'm about to send a mower and $$... to wolf so he can build me one😉 🤣🤣.. I'm in much awe and very jealous of the lawntoy.....
The best part is.. It only took him about a week or two... to come up with the idea some R&D. And the build.. maybe a little longer on the idea.
AWESOME JOB WOLF WELL DONE

YUP 100% AGREE WITH THAT... I'm about to send a mower and $$... to wolf so he can build me one😉 🤣🤣.. I'm in much awe and very jealous of the lawntoy.....
The best part is.. It only took him about a week or two... to come up with the idea some R&D. And the build.. maybe a little longer on the idea.
AWESOME JOB WOLF WELL DONE
I just stumbled across a youtube video of someone else that had already done it and since I already had the RC parts and a spare mower I figured why not. It wasn't my idea except to use LiPos instead of Pb batteries. Actually fabricating it took a lot of work though.

I just stumbled across a youtube video of someone else that had already done it and since I already had the RC parts and a spare mower I figured why not. It wasn't my idea except to use LiPos instead of Pb batteries. Actually fabricating it took a lot of work though.
You don't give your self enough credit bud..either way it is awesome.. and a fantastic build...and sure the video you watch build wasn't like yours??I'm going to look it up on YT to compare it.. I'm sure your lay out is different and more efficient

Back