The Lawntoy 2.4Ghz!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are caster wheels too so I'm assuming they will work unless they end up being to narrow at which point I will look into those particular ones. Thanks for the heads up.

I've got the entire front end completely bolted together. I sure wished I could have welded today lol. That being said I made sure that every surface has a lock washer and Orange lock tight. So that so that Is sucker aint going nowhere! 🤣
Hell yeah!! she ain't going no where locked up nice tight

Oh geez man, you been busy! I cannot wait to see a vid of this thing running!!!

Well, I finished the build today. However, the damn thing isnt working right for some reason. The wheelchair motors get hot really quickly and then they start acting weird.Its like theyre over heating but I dont understand why. Anyone know anything about wheel chair motors? I'm not gonna be able to really use it until I get this figured out.

Ahh, in reading that there is a brake in the gearbox? If so, they would be mechanically engaged unless they were electronically disengaged. No idea how you have this all wired up, but I see a control board there that looks like it came out of the wheelchair. Are there other wire inputs besides the power cables on these motors/gearboxes?

You are my freakin hero Chewy! Its got brakes in it that can be circumvented. I'm gonna get on that ASAP tomorrow. Hope I didnt damage the motors
Should be fine. In that read it also states the motors have built-in protection to shut them down if they get too hot. So you should be good to go. Now get back to work! LOL.

Should be fine. In that read it also states the motors have built-in protection to shut them down if they get too hot. So you should be good to go. Now get back to work! LOL.
LOL, I dont have time today but first thing in the mornin' I'm on it! I need to mow my lawn! :)

You are my freakin hero Chewy! Its got brakes in it that can be circumvented. I'm gonna get on that ASAP tomorrow. Hope I didnt damage the motors
Glad to see you moving forward. can't wait for a video.

Here in fl, the professional grade rc mowers run like 20k I think the guy said. They use them for highway steep slopes. Yet we ride mowers on sinkholes. 🤐

Glad to see you moving forward. can't wait for a video.

Here in fl, the professional grade rc mowers run like 20k I think the guy said. They use them for highway steep slopes. Yet we ride mowers on sinkholes. 🤐
If this one works out well enough I may build a second one to try and sell. :)

OK, I busted my butt all day again today on this but i think its finally finished. I managed to cut my entire yard with it today although it took all day cuz every time I turned around something was messing up on the mower. Id have to fix/redesign something seemed like everytime I turned around but I believe I finally got her sturdy enough to take the abuse.

So I started by taking the brakes off the motors. The piece on the end is the electromagnet that drives the brake. The black ring you see sandwiched in between the motor and the brake magnet is the brake disk itself.

20210629_092740.jpg

Heres what the motor looks like with the brake pad and the brake magnet removed.
20210629_094705.jpg

Heres the entire brake assembly
20210629_093040.jpg

Heres the brake assembly torn down in to its individual pieces.
20210629_093306.jpg

The brake disks
20210629_093340.jpg

When you remove the brake disk and you try to put the assembly back together theres a gap and I didnt want dirt and contaminates getting in there so I fashioned some crude spacers out of a piece of subflooring I had laying around. I drilled holes for the screws and I drilled out the centers to make room for the hex that is supposed to lock in to the brake pad.
20210629_094306.jpg

20210629_094551.jpg

and finally the brake assemblies all put back together and ready to go back on the motors.
20210629_094654.jpg

Ok, so then I thought I was all set but shortly after I started trying to mow my lawn with it all the pot holes, sticks, stones etc started to take its toll on the front wheels and they were starting to bend backwards. Bear in mind that this thing probably way 65-75 lbs. so hitting bumps is really hard on the much smaller front wheels. Next redesign I'm going for bigger caster wheels in the front. Might look in to those ones that someone earlier in the thread said were specifically for lawnmowers. At any rate here it is after I re-enforced the crap out of the front :)
20210629_112026.jpg
20210629_161748.jpg

Next I'm gonna work on making some vinyl decals for the side of her that say "Lawntoy 2.4Ghz" :)
And last but not least, heres the video yall have been waiting to see. Bear in mind that this running video was shot before I re-enforced the front so right toward the end of the vid if you see the front wheels looking like they are pushed back a bit,....well now you know why :)

Oh and just incase anyone is curious I'm jumping up to running four 4S 5000+mah Lipos. With 20Ah of capacity that will be enough to mow my 1/3 acre lawn. 10Ah was enough to do my front yard (65% of my lawn). I might be able to get away with 15Ah but I dont want to chance it since I have no LVC or telemetry on this.

DUDE THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! WELL DONE. That's the way to mow the lawn fantastic 👏👌😀👍🙌

Hell yeah NO more pushing the dam mower. Put a patten on that poop buddy.

Hell yeah NO more pushing the dam mower. Put a patten on that poop buddy.
Bro, Its so much easier just walking around a little at a time to get a better viewing angle comapred to pushing the stupid thing. Self propelled or not lol

Oh dayum. I had a vision in my head of how cool this was going to look, but this blew that image up with plastic explosive and a truck load of TNT (welcome to the forum NSA).

The starting with an impact gun - my dad had a thriving small engine repair business and I never once saw him do that!

And watching it run - cool as hell. Anyone else have flashbacks of the movie "Maximum Overdrive" going through their head while watching this?

Great job!

Bro, Its so much easier just walking around a little at a time to get a better viewing angle comapred to pushing the stupid thing. Self propelled or not lol
Oh man I'm sure it is. Need least to say. I am very jealous now 😢😫. You did a fine job wolf. Well done 👏👏👏👏. All that hard back breaking, mind bogling work paid off BIG in the end. Well done sir. WELL DONE!!!

I am actual kinda disappointed. I was hoping it would do about 40mph and wheelie.

😂

That's an awesome build, 🐺!

Oh dayum. I had a vision in my head of how cool this was going to look, but this blew that image up with plastic explosive and a truck load of TNT (welcome to the forum NSA).

The starting with an impact gun - my dad had a thriving small engine repair business and I never once saw him do that!

And watching it run - cool as hell. Anyone else have flashbacks of the movie "Maximum Overdrive" going through their head while watching this?

Great job!
Bro, starting them that way is dangerous as hell. I don't recommend ever doing that. I've snapped the socket shaft in half doing that. I was just in a hurry. I need to put the pull start back on it
Oh man I'm sure it is. Need least to say. I am very jealous now 😢😫. You did a fine job wolf. Well done 👏👏👏👏. All that hard back breaking, mind bogling work paid off BIG in the end. Well done sir. WELL DONE!!!
Back breaking bro. I slaved out in the garage for 5 long days.
LOL so when are you taken orders 🤔🤣😅
I'd have to charge a fortune. That was a ton of work. Lol
I am actual kinda disappointed. I was hoping it would do about 40mph and wheelie.

😂

That's an awesome build, 🐺!
Just need to run it on 8s. 🤣

Thanks for all the kind remarks

Last edited:
Back