Tell me what i have

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okwrestlingfan

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Here is a copy of the post i have in the introduction but only got 1 response. Hello

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I traded for a couple of cars and am brand new and excited to get my rides in the dirt and start playing. I dont know anything about the hobby and to be totally honest i dont even know what i have. I have done a lot of searching and i think the 1st car is a traxxas Nitro Sport. It is a 2x4 and has a 2.5 engine. The other car i have no idea what it is. I dont think it is a Traxxas but has a traxxas 3.3 engine. It is 4x4 and has a 2 speed tranny. Hopefully i can get some help hear figuring out what i have and how to work on these little bastards. I am having troubles with the 4x4, it runs great but doesn't go anywhere. if you pick it up the tires spin but if u put it down it wont go. It worked fine and all at once started doing this. I pulled out the tranny and the gears were chewed up pretty bad. i could spin both gears on the axle. I figured out how the clutch works to lock in the higher gear but not sure what locks in the lower gear. Anyway i ordered a new transmission and hopefully that will get me back in the dirt. My traxxas has a broken gear on the little bock that powers the throttle lol. i dug in my parts box that came with the cars and replaced the gear but now the plastic peice that sits on the gear and also motors the throttle is slipping. I havent ordered a part yet because i havent figured out what it is called to be able to search it. All those gears are the same size right? hopefully i didnt put the wrong gear in... hmmm

Can someone please look at pictures and see if you can identify what i have. I also have a extra engine which is a trx15. Here are pics of my 4x4. I will post the Traxxas in the next post

Attachments

• 2047056673001_ORIG.jpg
    2047056673001_ORIG.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1047056714775_ORIG.jpg
    1047056714775_ORIG.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 7047056792543_ORIG.jpg
    7047056792543_ORIG.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 7047056868128_ORIG.jpg
    7047056868128_ORIG.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 93
here is the Traxxas

Please tell me as much info about these two cars. Which is better, which is faster.

Attachments

• 2047056904113_ORIG.jpg
    2047056904113_ORIG.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 83
  • 2047056987305_ORIG.jpg
    2047056987305_ORIG.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 3047056943902_ORIG.jpg
    3047056943902_ORIG.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 9047056830482_ORIG.jpg
    9047056830482_ORIG.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 73
the second one is a nitro sport made by Traxxas

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

the first one, kind of looks like a HPI nitro MT, but not exactly..

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

it could be the rally car from hpi. does it have any markings besides what is on the receiver?

Theres to many cutouts on the chassis plate to be an MT2 and the radio tray is not right. Could be first version HPI MT but I dont recall the bumpers bieng setup that way

to me by the wheels.. it looks like an exceed or something

you are correct. The kids mother i got the cars from just brought the bodies by. On the 4x4 body it says exceed rally monster. What the hell is that? Maybe i am too old to start a new hobby haha.

Exceed is a sub-standard quality brand.

so the Traxxas is the better car of the two?

Better support at just about any LHS and absolutely a higher quality. Not a huge Traxxas fan myself but comparing the 2 is like comparing a Pinto to a CTS V. Completely different leagues IMO

it has a big engine two speed tranny and is 4x4 so i would have guessed outherwise. Like i said i dont know anything about either of them. The engine is name brand so what are the reasons for it being a lesser car? Is it drive train and suspension? If so, can those be replaced to a higher quality?

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

oh, btw thank you for your responses...

its mostly brittle plastic parts and lack of hobby shop support, you can find parts for them but usually have to wait 1-2 weeks, And no Hop ups that i have found for them, i just bought back a exceed truck today that i have owned twice, its a good truck to get out and take out your frustrations on, but waiting on parts is a PITA, but for 40 bux i dont care if i total it.......LOL

I hear ya. so this is what i let the wife and teenage son drive right? I am actually waiting on a transmission now. It does suck waiting but then again there isnt a rc store within 40 miles and the only sell a brand i have never heard of, three letters. The nearest store to even buy Traxxas would be in OKC, Tulsa or wichita KS and all are about a 200 mile round trip so i will be buying most of my parts online anyway.

Correct, HSP, Exceed, Himoto...all one and the same. Poor quality control and weak plastics. Hard to get parts.....you can see where I am going with it.

sorry, got confused. I double checked and the sell redcat. I just went to their website and it looks like they also sell chinese motorsports. I damn sure dont buy chinese dirtbikes. Hell, we tear the real ones up fast enough.

Yup...you got it...confused. It will do it to ya. There is like 8 knockoff name brands for one product and parts are sometimes really tough to get for them. What do you have? Hey, call it what ever you want...they do!