T-Maxx Tuning questions (also in T-Maxx thread, sorry)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbecker

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I apologize for the noobish question, but I'm at the point where I mostly understanding tuning my T-Maxx but still have some confusion.

After reading all the posts on tuning and factory settings and blah blah, it seems that the main concesus is that 4 turns out on the HSN (factory setting) is usually a tad rich to start as far as break in, but can also vary depending on climate, temp, height above sea level and what not. Thats what is confusing me.

I purchased my T-Maxx in the end of January (in Buffalo), so it was cold out. I broke it in with aluminum foil on the cooling head on a 40 degree day, hits temps and what not, and was running fine for the most part at about 4.5 turns out on the high speed. Once the warmer weather hit, from what I understand, you would be able to lean out the engine a little bit because the air isnt as dense, however my truck is just the oposite.

Two 80 degree days in a row and this is how my truck ran:

Day 1:
Tank 1 - truck ran fine, tuned it by leaning it out a little bit (about 1/2 to 3/4 a turn) and all was well
Tank 2 - Awesome! Had power, popping wheelies, very faint blue smoke trail, all seemed well
Tank 3 - Started bogging at half tank when accelerating fast, however could accelerate slowly up to full speed, just not punch it up to full speed. I started measuring temps, and they were high (280-300).
Tank 4 - Played with HSN then LSN, nothing, same results anywhere between 3 and 7 turns out

Brought it in, played with it, started inspecting things and found this:
Capture.png

*Notice the small chip underneath the fuel plug

So I replace the carb body, set everything back to factory settings and:

Day 2:
Tank 1 - still bogged when accelerating quickly and high temps (too lean?)
- Adjusted HSN (in increments thoughout the tank) ending somewhere around 5.5 - 6.25 turns out (lost count)
- Adjusted low speed (after full speed pass) so that pinch test was about 4 seconds, then adjusted idler screw so it wouldnt creep when sitting still.

Tank 2 - everything seems to be running well, no bogging, deceent power, no wheelies though :(
- Spit test, spit sat in cooling head for about 2 seconds then started to sizzle
- Didnt have temp gun but judging by spit test, temp was probably pretty good
- Had a pretty decent smoke trail through all speed ranges

My question now is:
1. Is it normal/abnormal to be that far out on the HSN in the summer time?
2. Just lean up the LSN a bit if I want more power of the start? or Do I need to lean the HSN, then the LSN?

I apologize for the book I needed to right, but I just wanted all the facts to be presented so I can get the most help possible. I know there are many posts and how to's on tuning an engine and I have read them all, I just want to know if the things I am experiencing are normal or should my HSN be much leaner than it is (presenting the idea that I may STILL have an air leak somewhere?)

Sounds like too rich to me, leave Lsn stock. And lean out HSN a little bit.
Cold air contains more oxygen, do u want to run it rich, where warmer air contains less oxygen, so u wanna tune it leaner for summer.

Gl

Well I can only assume by the following pictures that I had an air leak, and in more than one area as well:

IMAG0359.gif

IMAG0360.gif

IMAG0361.gif

So, after replacing the dented manifold and cleaning and sealing the entire engine, I am back together and ready to attempt tuning again. Hopefully this time it runs both cooler and better.