T-Maxx 2.5 won't hardly run or move

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroman1980

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Y'all.

I just picked up a T-Maxx 2.5. the guy I got it from bought it on March 4th and he said he tried to do the break in and ran a tank and a half of fuel and he didn't know what he was doing and wasn't for him. So I picked it up for a steal.

Here's my issues. I can get it to start but it barely runs and then dies. Fuel tank is full. I believe the lines are ran properly. There is fuel splatter all over it. It was spraying out the exhaust last night trying to start it. The spur gear had two teeth missing from it and it looked all messed up. So I replaced the spur gear today. I also swapped the glow plug out and the glow plug wire because it had a slit in the sheathing. Still could not get it to run for more than a couple seconds and if I pulled the EZStart off it wouldnt run at all.

I realize the proper break in wasn't done fully, and I plan on doing the proper break in once I can get it running long enough. I've studied it and I have everything it came with new. I have the receipt as well from March 4th so I know the guy was being truthful. It's not for everyone.

If anyone has any guidance on where I go from here I would truly and gratefully appreciate it more than you know.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Tyler H

There is a factor in tuning due to temperature and altitude. So that’s a starting point also how hot of a plug ur running also can be a factor. Mine here in Arizona I like to run mine little hot spark wise.

There is a factor in tuning due to temperature and altitude. So that’s a starting point also how hot of a plug ur running also can be a factor. Mine here in Arizona I like to run mine little hot spark wise.
I live in Ohio, so the winter is normally cold...however it's been unseasonably warm over the last month. Right now I just have the standard Traxxas plug in it, it came with two when it was new. I put the other one in it because the original one looked bad. I'm planning on picking up a couple protek ones, should I go with a hot or medium hot or cold?

This what they say on web. I like mine running hot do to my elevation. So if I were you get a medium and a hot plug. It’s all just trying see what that motor likes. I have a built Mach .26 it likes hot plugs.

B77E1DC0-5892-4DEA-BC67-25CB90258D14.png

This what they say on web. I like mine running hot do to my elevation. So if I were you get a medium and a hot plug. It’s all just trying see what that motor likes. I have a built
If you run too cold it will foul out and if you run it too hot can cause engine damage. Start with a medium/hot. Make sure ur fuel and idle are set right
And yes glow plugs little different than spark plugs but do the same thing. Other than diesels.

Attachments

• 681B5660-CD41-4C4A-B461-F106795DB7E1.png
    681B5660-CD41-4C4A-B461-F106795DB7E1.png
    698.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It sounded like it is too rich, so it will get flooded easily. I would reset all needles and use a glow starter until it is broken in.

It sounded like it is too rich, so it will get flooded easily. I would reset all needles and use a glow starter until it is broken in.
x2 The mixture might still be way factory rich or he may have been adjusting them wrong.