synthetic oil stabilizers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodrob

not hotdogbob
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I really wasn't sure where to post this,anyway.....
U know those oil stabizers they sell in the autoparts stores like Lucas,stp ect I know there pretty thick but what I'm wondering about is about how thick are they? like 10k or 30k maybe 100k does anyone know roughly?..5$ for a quart sure would beat the hell out of 5$ for a tiny bottle

I really wasn't sure where to post this,anyway.....
U know those oil stabizers they sell in the autoparts stores like Lucas,stp ect I know there pretty thick but what I'm wondering about is about how thick are they? like 10k or 30k maybe 100k does anyone know roughly?..5$ for a quart sure would beat the hell out of 5$ for a tiny bottle
I think they're pretty thick if its designed to stabilise your engine/ reduce things like piston slap... So I'd go for the higher end of the scale. And anyway, I've heard some oils can decompose rubber- so it may not be good for your shock pistons.

Just am considering using it for diffs....way too thick for shocks...what I am wanting to find out is if anyone knows the viscosity

Just am considering using it for diffs....way too thick for shocks...what I am wanting to find out is if anyone knows the viscosity
I've done a bit of research and here's what I found:

From this link here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1681525
I found that lucas oil stabiliser has a weight, in Cst of 110 @ 100 degrees centigrade (212f)

And from this link here:
http://www.sweepracingusa.com/iframe/cst_truth.htm
Some guy made an unofficial Cst to W equivalent chart. Which states that 107Cst= 20W

SO, IN CONCLUSION, USING INFORMATION THAT MAY BE INCORRECT:

@ 100 DEGREES CENTIGRADE, LUCAS PURE SILICONE STABILIZER IS EQUIVILANT TO 20W IN RC TERMS, WHICH I can't FIND HOW TO TRANSLATE TO K (YET)

Ninnon, side by side comparison with R/C fluids is the only way ;)

(Btw, caps are considered as shouting ;) )

Ninnon, side by side comparison with R/C fluids is the only way ;)

(Btw, caps are considered as shouting ;) )
WELL THEN ILL JUST HAVE TO STOP SHOUTING :p and on a serious note i couldnt find a CST to k converter. As far as I could see, K is actually a measurement of PVC viscosity

Nobody likes a smartarse @Rolex, but they do like a well informed person....

hehe

K = thousand......
I bought a vehicle and it had 100k for miledge..100,000 miles......
So is the cst of the Lucas @212f ....110 or is it 110,000? Cst...wth does cst stand for?

K = thousand......
So is the cst of the Lucas @212f ....110 or is it 110,000? Cst...wth does cst stand for?
I understood that it meant K, but of what. 1K = 1000 what?

K = thousand......
Centistokes.

Right...but is the 110 in k or is it just 110?....by my calculations 110 would be really thin.....the really thin rc diff oil is like 10,000 cst....

Man, Bob really is the oil guy!..hard for me to comprehend so much informative info at once

It may work but I don't think the oil additives will last long in a diff. They lose their thick viscosity when heated. When putting them in a an engine,the engine is supposed to be running and at full operating temperature and then driven for x number of miles so the additive cam mix with the crankcase oil.

It may work but I don't think the oil additives will last long in a diff. They lose their thick viscosity when heated. When putting them in a an engine,the engine is supposed to be running and at full operating temperature and then driven for x number of miles so the additive cam mix with the crankcase oil.
Yes, that may be an issue, after all, it is an oil additive

I didn't think of it that way,..to me it looks,feels,smells and taste the same as our rc counterpart

I see the the humor.......but don't go through my posts and edit what exactly I said, changeing my words!

Last edited:
So much for seeing the funny side....................................

Back