Team N301 - Nitro no prep drag racing - List Race #5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydmd

Beer drinker and hell racer
Supporter
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
List race #5 - postponed to early 2024. We had good weather this weekend, finally, but with three racers unavailable, we made the decision to run the last 2023 race next March.

That didn't stop four of us from hanging out Sunday to test the new TrackMate system! We were chomping at the bit for that :D

385505753_10225783096427590_1238388053848664187_n.jpg

383347932_10225783095267561_4131780984678815399_n.jpg

385479634_10225783096667596_3561437419728705583_n.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

It was super easy to set up, other than figuring out the right software settings to use (the manual isn't worded well and has a bit of outdated info in it). We did manage to get it working after a few minutes of pulling hairs out.

This was really just a TnT of the system, and the cars (some of them really needed that anyway). We all got much better RT's as we got practice. Eventually everyone was cutting some sub 1/10th second RT's. Cars mostly ran pretty good too. Hissed Off was consistently in the mid - high 2's, which isn't great, but that's about where it was last year with the Mustang body on it. There is definitely room for improvement on that car with lighter rear wheels a potential update. Quickest ET's belonged to Invader 2 at 2.2, and a 2.5 (I think this year I stated my goal was 2.2, or maybe that was last year, lol). Happy with that, and it did manage to get into the 50's on MPH. The car was a monster on the first 30 feet, no other car launched like that one. Couple of other cars where in that 2.7-2.8 range pretty much all day. Temps rose fast and we had to adjust tunes. Felt like we did our best work in the morning with cooler temps. Crazy how some cars, like Invader 2 went from being really fast, to half a second or more slower, then back to fast with just a few degrees of HSN movement. Narrow band, to say the least! Top speed we recorded was 58, but we missed a couple of those because one of the sensors in the trap had been jarred and battery was loose. Might have been some 60 mph runs on the faster ET's, but no way to know for sure. Sure, that's not all that fast compared to what these brushless guys do at national events, but that's practically a prep surface these days. We ran dry tire, no prep on a rough road, so for that condition, these are actually pretty good times, IMO. (We have run brushless cars along with the nitros here and the nitros were just as fast, if not faster in some races).

Last edited:
Good event report. Thanks. The E.T.s and speeds you guys are putting down fall right into what I feel is the best compromise between quick times, good speeds and most importantly drivability. 2.50 @ ~60mph being my favorite index class ever. And it was a mixed class - nitro and electric. Both disciplines found it to their liking to run.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying regarding "no prep/prep creep". Good you guys are holding to true no prep.

All this posting has RC drag racing juices flowing here again. No prep. Running 1/16mi (33FT) drags out front of the house and with weather moderating will run 1/8mi (66ft) digs at my speed site. 3-car bracket ladder. No timing system. GNSS speed differences work as "dial-in". Cheers, mates. 'AC'

Good event report. Thanks. The E.T.s and speeds you guys are putting down fall right into what I feel is the best compromise between quick times, good speeds and most importantly drivability. 2.50 @ ~60mph being my favorite index class ever. And it was a mixed class - nitro and electric. Both disciplines found it to their liking to run.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying regarding "no prep/prep creep". Good you guys are holding to true no prep.

All this posting has RC drag racing juices flowing here again. No prep. Running 1/16mi (33FT) drags out front of the house and with weather moderating will run 1/8mi (66ft) digs at my speed site. 3-car bracket ladder. No timing system. GNSS speed differences work as "dial-in". Cheers, mates. 'AC'

The sport overall is starting to move in the Dry Tire direction.

Another great race report. Loved the vids. Yeah, see what you mean regarding staging. You guys will get it resolved. Staging nitro is trickier than staging electric. Nitro has a tendency to rollout of staging. Just the nature of the beast. Too bad about the speed trap, but most importantly the win light was working. Nice way to put a wrap on the season. Good having the racer turnout you had. Promises more and better for next season.

[Edit: thinking back now to my RC track drag racing days, remember we had a pre-stage and stage light on the tree. That gave us a window to stage in. Deep or shallow and also helped the nitro cars in at least mitigating a false start from rollout on staging.]

Now looking forward to seeing the winter builds for the 2024 season. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
Back