Spektrum XBC100 SMART Battery Checker- Firmware question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Newbie here, just starting to put together all the gear I need to fly. I have a line on a Spektrum XBC 100 Smart Battery Checker at a good price, but I notice there is a sticker on the shrink-wrapped box that says, "Includes New G2 Updates." So I am wondering if this is an older model as far as firmware goes (since I believe G2 has been around for awhile.) Or doesn't it matter, because I can simply download the latest firmware anyway?

And speaking of firmware, how do you know what version is already on the battery checker?

Thanks

Newbie here, just starting to put together all the gear I need to fly. I have a line on a Spektrum XBC 100 Smart Battery Checker at a good price, but I notice there is a sticker on the shrink-wrapped box that says, "Includes New G2 Updates." So I am wondering if this is an older model as far as firmware goes (since I believe G2 has been around for awhile.) Or doesn't it matter, because I can simply download the latest firmware anyway?

And speaking of firmware, how do you know what version is already on the battery checker?

Thanks
I dont have that specific item but I do have a Spektrum Programming card that also acts as a batt checker, servo tester, etc. I'm assuming this is going to basically be the same but I can't swear to it.

I believe the G2 Updates just refers to the Spektrums new battery technology. That being said I've not researched the difference between G1 and G2.

As to the firmware. Generally speaking, and this is true of most things you update firmware on, once you hook the device up to your PC and launch the Spektrum software it should show you what firmware is currently installed. I dont recall right off exactly where in the software but it is usually the same screen where you update the firmware.

UPDATE:
I found this online as to what the differences are between G1 and G2.

"The difference between G1 and G2 in the context of Spektrum's Smart Technology for RC (remote control) batteries and chargers primarily revolves around advancements and improvements in technology. While specific details can vary depending on the product line, here are some general differences that are often seen between first generation (G1) and second generation (G2) technology in such contexts:

1. Improved Battery Chemistry and Performance: G2 batteries might offer improved chemistry for longer life, higher capacity, or better discharge rates compared to G1 batteries.
  2. Enhanced Smart Features: G2 products usually include more advanced smart features. This could mean better integration between the battery, charger, and other components, leading to improved efficiency and safety.
  3. Advanced Charging Algorithms: G2 chargers might have more sophisticated charging algorithms, which can result in faster charging times, better battery maintenance, and extended battery lifespan.
  4. Increased Safety Features: Safety features are often enhanced in G2 products, with better protection against overcharging, deep discharging, and overheating.
  5. User Interface and Connectivity Improvements: G2 might offer a more user-friendly interface, better connectivity options, and enhanced compatibility with other devices or systems.
  6. Firmware and Software Updates: G2 devices often have updated firmware and software, providing a more refined user experience and sometimes new features that were not available in G1.
  7. Physical Design Changes: There can be changes in the physical design, making G2 products more robust, compact, or easier to use."

Last edited:
Back