Snow basher?.?.?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxinflixion

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
It occurred to me today that the reason I bought my first hobby grade RC truck several years back was because it looked like fun to bash around in the snow.

Fast forward too many years, and I've got some time to reclaim that feeling before the seasons change.

I was going to start a new project regardless, but knowing I have an endgame in place makes it easier to achieve that vision.

The question for the group is...

If you were to build or buy a snow basher, what base vehicle would you choose? I'm all in on upgrading/modding one of my Riaarlo AM-D12 rigs, but they don't strike me as the best bade for a snow basher.

I do not mind a project, so it does not need to be RTR (last one was a Slash... Ultimate if I remember correctly). A roller/slider or starting w/ a donor chassis is totally fine. I just want to do it right from the jump.

Thoughts?

I just finished building a Tekno MT410 (still have to paint the body), and it is a nice rig... you have to add electronics, body, wheels and tires.

Pretty much any dirt basher should work in the snow as long as it is waterproffed and not deep snow. I recently converted my 20 year old T-maxx to electric and use it in the snow.
The only thing I had to do to it was waterproof all of the electronics.
PXL_20220226_225012831.jpg

Then I replaced the tires to more of a round surface tire and it works great in the snow or dirt.
PXL_20220322_055528624.jpg

The bottom line for me for snow running is waterproofing, torque and big tires. Maybe even some paddle tires.
This is going to be my next winters snow runner.
PXL_20230117_235403069.jpg
PXL_20230117_234848510.jpg
PXL_20230217_031924849.jpg

I even got some paddles for her.
If you are not interested in speed, you can get treads for some crawlers. Some people here have some nice looking rigs with these treads on them like this.
1693933759604.jpeg

Now if you are running in deep, fresh snow, I would recommend one of these.
1693933857336.jpeg

or this
1693933896451.jpeg
1693934055089.jpeg

Here is what RC SuperStore Recommends.
Or you can get your chores done while RCing.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what peaks your interest and what you finally get.

Last edited:
My first choice for snow is my Xmaxx. Lightweight, big tires and mucho ground clearance are keys to getting through the snow, sometimes even staying on top of the snow if it's crusty. The body fits fairly tightly to the chassis which is a big plus in keeping the snow out. Second in my lineup is the OG Redcat Kaiju, very similar build as the Xmaxx with a tub chassis and high CG design. Relatively cheap too. 3rd is my TRX Hoss, which also shares the tub chassis and Monster Truck design. Each of these have a chassis that sits higher than the driveline which seems to help them get through the snow more efficiently than say a Kraton 6s, which I also have and use in the snow. It's good, but the chassis collects a ton of snow and ground clearance isn't great. The smooth chassis plate does slide well..jus t can't stop or it'll "dig" itself in more quickly than the others. I've ran all my rc's every winter since I got them, never lost any electronics to snow. Trust me, the motor, esc and servos have all been completely enveloped in snow over and over without issues. Stick with stuff labeled as waterproof, avoid sensored motors and esc's as they are almost never waterproof. I have fried sensored esc's in the snow, sucks. My fault, I just forgot, LOL.

Thanks for the input folks.

That Fireteam always looks so cool to me. Also looks B I G :).

Thanks for the input folks.

That Fireteam always looks so cool to me. Also looks B I G :).
FT would be killer in snow, I'd go with bigger, more aggressive tires, keep an eye on temps. Snow creates a lot of drag and extra weight. Seal the tires as much as possible.

I put paddle tires on my rustler VXL for sand at the beach but I found that that much /power in the sand was too much and I blew out a lot of spur gears, so I’m looking forward to trying that set up in the snow

Bashing vehicles and monster trucks are often quite heavy. I’d build a speedy snow machine with the same idea as a bobcat: light body, big paws.

Essentially, a 1:10 4WD race buggy with double wheels or stadium truck wheels, and waterproof electronics. Drop 2–3 teeth from the pinion and head out.

I put paddle tires on my rustler VXL for sand at the beach but I found that that much /power in the sand was too much and I blew out a lot of spur gears, so I’m looking forward to trying that set up in the snow
What are you running for power? Stock or? 3s I'm guessing? I have some old Proline sand paw 2.2 ST that I ran on my Bandit vxl, 3s. Wasn't particularly good as it just didn't have enough ground clearance in snow.. I also have a set of Dirt Paw 2.2 ST tires that I put sheet metal screws into the knobbies from the inside of the tires..they work pretty well on ice, fierce on moist clay..

20221229_204622.jpg

20221224_160245.jpg

20221224_160228.jpg

Bashing vehicles and monster trucks are often quite heavy. I’d build a speedy snow machine with the same idea as a bobcat: light body, big paws.

Essentially, a 1:10 4WD race buggy with double wheels or stadium truck wheels, and waterproof electronics. Drop 2–3 teeth from the pinion and head out.
This worked well until the 3d printed wheel hubs cracked after a sideways landing from a jump..

Attachments

• Resized_20210215_062514(1).jpeg
    Resized_20210215_062514(1).jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 28
Rustler, maxx, any number of Keaton’s, xmaxx, etc…. Any number of rc’s. Just buy to the size area you’ve got to run it in.

That thing is RAD! I have a bunch of friends that ice race motorcycles. I used to race to but I’ve stopped due to injuries from street riding. I think I’m going to have to make up a set of those style wheels and get back out on the lake!

Sweet!! I did similar with a few rigs over the years. What's better, with or w/o foams? I've got a few sets of spent 17mm hex wheels laying around..🤔
The Dirt Paws 2.2 w/screws have proven quite durable..clay, snow, ice..the bandit rips with them on, literally!!😁🍻

I hope you used loctite. 🤣 back in 2009 or so I made my stampede a mini nail gun.
Lol, they have nylon locknuts and the old hoons are from the inside of the rim. 👍

That thing is RAD! I have a bunch of friends that ice race motorcycles. I used to race to but I’ve stopped due to injuries from street riding. I think I’m going to have to make up a set of those style wheels and get back out on the lake!
You should! It’s pretty fun if you can get a group together. 🤙

Sweet!! I did similar with a few rigs over the years. What's better, with or w/o foams? I've got a few sets of spent 17mm hex wheels laying around..🤔
The Dirt Paws 2.2 w/screws have proven quite durable..clay, snow, ice..the bandit rips with them on, literally!!😁🍻
The first set I made were the bigger ones with pvc sleeves and bolts with lock nuts. They work ok.. but the truck is so light and the bolts just have blunt ends..
The second set I made from old dboots hoons and ran self tapping sheet metal screws from the inside of the rims. The smaller tires combined with the sharp points of the screws worked way better imo. It just hooks up better. Some exrta weight probably wouldn’t hurt either..

Here’s a pic of how I installed the screws in the hoons.

FC40684A-94F0-4464-8A0C-0DBDF34FE33E.jpeg
DEC829D9-0F30-42C5-9C0D-CF8B04578B38.jpeg
04DB95C3-6E58-47B3-A7EA-5AD3944914E9.jpeg

Lol, they have nylon locknuts and the old hoons are from the inside of the rim. 👍

You should! It’s pretty fun if you can get a group together. 🤙

The first set I made were the bigger ones with pvc sleeves and bolts with lock nuts. They work ok.. but the truck is so light and the bolts just have blunt ends..
The second set I made from old dboots hoons and ran self tapping sheet metal screws from the inside of the rims. The smaller tires combined with the sharp points of the screws worked way better imo. It just hooks up better. Some exrta weight probably wouldn’t hurt either..

Here’s a pic of how I installed the screws in the hoons.

View attachment 171436View attachment 171438View attachment 171439
Ah, so you ran each screw through the wheel from the outside first to make the hole? Good thinkin' 👍

Back