Slipper delete

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFranz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
What’s the thinking behind eliminating a slipper clutch? I’m just bashing a 4wd Rustler that eats clutches but if I eliminate that won’t the diff’s take a beating?

What’s the thinking behind eliminating a slipper clutch? I’m just bashing a 4wd Rustler that eats clutches but if I eliminate that won’t the diff’s take a beating?
You don't want to eliminate the slipper on a basher. If you do, it's a blown diff waiting to happen. (or some other drive line component) If you're eating up slipper clutches, then you most likely need to tighten it a little. The only time I've ever had a rig "eat" a clutch is if it's too loose, and it's slipping a lot. The heat that generates will destroy the slipper in short order. You only want the slipper to slip when the tires can't.

Locked Spools (AKA Slipper Delete) are primarily used in stock racing with prepped high grip surface such as carpet or clay with tire sauce. Stock motors don't generate enough power to make the car spin out of control and this significantly reduces rotating mass to help improve acceleration out of tight corners.

I actually found that a center fluid filled diff was far better for my lap times and that was better for me with my 13.5 wheeler on both turf and clay tracks.
*** I will never run a car with a center slipper ever again ***

Regardless in your case there's no reason to have a center slipper for bashing unless all you want to do is wheelies, if you want to reduce costs then I would invest in a fluid filled center diff and you'll notice the car will be drastically easier to drive:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...t-hoss-slash-stampede-rustler-tra6780/p949039

1705251375021.png

I recommend starting out with 10K-7K-3K for respective front-center-rear diff fluid combinations and then use the following guide from HUDY to make any changes from there, with a slipper the equivalent to fluid would be 500K with the slipper at the loosest setting to give you perspective of how horrible center slippers are :(

1705251489024.png

Last edited:
All of my 4x4 Traxxas vehicles, including the Rustler I just assembled, has the slipper replaced with a center diff.

The Hoss comes that way out of the box, and it is basically a Rustler 4x4 with a HCG chassis.

Traxxas part number 6780 or 6780A is a simple drop in part.

These are all great inputs that make sense, so thanks but; what's a center diff? Not the same as a slipper?

If you eliminate the slipper, you can get a different ESC that will allow you to adjust the "punch."

If you eliminate the slipper, you can get a different ESC that will allow you to adjust the "punch."
To a certain point, there are ways to soften the acceleration with punch as well as drive frequency, throttle speed and expo curves, but these more of a "fine tuning" sort of thing, there's no way you can get your electronics to make a locked spool feel anywhere close to 7K fluid in the center diff for example :(

Back