Need help figuring out my brushed motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK82

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Question for whoever can answer this. I'm new to the RC world. I have a 1/10 Traxxas slash
Brushed. Only ran it a handful of times ran fine when I put it up now it won't move it just makes a weird sound like the motor is stuck. It. And the slipper clutch has a gouge on it. If anybody could help it's be greatly appreciated

Question for whoever can answer this. I'm new to the RC world. I have a 1/10 Traxxas slash
Brushed. Only ran it a handful of times ran fine when I put it up now it won't move it just makes a weird sound like the motor is stuck. It. And the slipper clutch has a gouge on it. If anybody could help it's be greatly appreciated
Have you removed the motor to see if it will spin? Bearings could have rusted and seized. Traxxas motors are not known for their reliability.

As for the slipper, post a pic. You can attach pics with a button below the reply window where you type.

And welcome to RCT.

Welcome to RCT!

Do what @WickedFog said

Could be the bearings/bushings in the motor, can be pinion/spur gear mesh (motor screws like to come loose) can be the slipper.

Brushed motors aren't the best
When I started, i would always have the motor making a terrible squealing noise. Put the motor in water, run the motor for a few minutes to clean it out, use some bearing lube, and it was good to go. Not saying that is the issue, but could possibly.

Have you removed the motor to see if it will spin? Bearings could have rusted and seized. Traxxas motors are not known for their reliability.

As for the slipper, post a pic. You can attach pics with a button below the reply window where you type.

And welcome to RCT.
Thanks. What motor would you recommend me getting. Stick with brushed or switch to a brushless. I'm leaning towards the brushless

Thanks. What motor would you recommend me getting. Stick with brushed or switch to a brushless. I'm leaning towards the brushless
@DavidB1126 gave some good advice there.

Brushless is always the better choice. But you have to invest in a LiPo charger if you don't already have one. And you need to know how to store and care for LiPo batteries. This is extremely important.

How old are you? I'm only asking because we get younger RCers here, and any suggestions should maybe take that into consideration.

We do have a "Introduce Yourself" thread for this very reason 😉

Last edited:
If OP wants to upgrade to brushless, I'd go with Hobbywing.
Their 10BL120 G2 is one of the good and cheaper combos out there. It's a newer / revised max 10 SCT combo, but for half the price.

@DavidB1126 gave some good advice there.

Brushless is always the better choice. But you have to invest in a LiPo charger if you don't already have one. And you need to know how to store and care for LiPo batteries. This is extremely important.

How old are you? I'm only asking because we get younger RCers here, and any suggestions should maybe take that into consideration.

We do have a "Introduce Yourself" thread for this very reason 😉
My bad.I do apologize

The OP needs to keep his questions here, and reply to the responses 🙃

Welcome.

You'll get the hang of it... first thing to do is remove the motor and make sure your transmission is good.

There are lots of options for brushless if that's the way you want to go... Hobbywing is probably the least expensive route, I would stay betwenn 3000kv and 3500kv for the motor and start with a 2S Lipo battery. I would also suggest you get the Hobbywing programming box ($10).

It sounds like the gear mesh wasn't set right.

If you go brushless, get a smaller spur gear and a bigger pinion to gear it accordingly. You will also need a "plate" or something to mount an aftermarket ESC with double sided tape (3M is good, or grey/black scotch).

I'd go with the Hobbywing 10BL120 G2 combo, it comes with an XT60 plug pre-soldered on (one of the better plugs on the market), and it's cheaper than any of Traxxas's brushless systems.

Avoid the cheapo "GoolRC" stuff.

It sounds like the gear mesh wasn't set right.

If you go brushless, get a smaller spur gear and a bigger pinion to gear it accordingly. You will also need a "plate" or something to mount an aftermarket ESC with double sided tape (3M is good, or grey/black scotch).

I'd go with the Hobbywing 10BL120 G2 combo, it comes with an XT60 plug pre-soldered on (one of the better plugs on the market), and it's cheaper than any of Traxxas's brushless systems.

Avoid the cheapo "GoolRC" stuff.
Thank you

Back