slipper clutch replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rc legend

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello,does anyone know if i can replace my slipper clutch with a metal one as the plastic ones wear out to quickly,its on a xcellerator nitr
o 1.10,any info would be great.

What part of it is wearing out? It's not supposed to slip on takeoff, just absorb shock on landings. If it's slipping too much it will overheat and melt. If it's the gear teeth wearing out then you have a mesh adjustment or engine alignment issue.

What part of it is wearing out? It's not supposed to slip on takeoff, just absorb shock on landings. If it's slipping too much it will overheat and melt. If it's the gear teeth wearing out then you have a mesh adjustment or engine alignment issue.
Hi,yes its the teeth wearing out to to quickly,couple have shredded.

isnt there a metal gear that i could install instead
of a plastic one?

If you go with a metal spur you'll also have to upgrade the clutch bell.
You're having a mesh problem since you're shredding teeth. You could also be dealing with an engine that's running too hot. That causes the teeth to soften and melt.

Try and see whether your local hobby shop stocks upgrades for that vehicle.

Could also be due to chassis flex. XTM wasn't known for using great aluminum on their rigs. I had a mammoth and it was hard keeping it together. The chassis flexed like no other as did all the other aluminum bits on it.

Make sure the screws holding down the rear brace and whatever the brace screws to on the front are tight and not stripped. Also make sure the brace isn't cracked.
Sorry I couldn't find a better photo, but it's the part outlined here:
2015-1220-XTMXcelleratorChassisBraceRear.jpg

Many years ago when I had a stadium truck, I broke a similar part to this (losi xxx-nt) and it took me a couple spur gears to realize this piece was cracked. Without it, the chassis flexes a lot between the bell and spur causing it to strip spurs.