Silicone diff oil changeout

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ahh: :ahh: :ahh: :ahh:

Oh Man... I've done it now... I wish I could type myself laughing at this!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue - but did you read those posts? What exactly were they saying?

Maybe the difference is between Grease vs. Oil (I'm just grasping at straws here). Could 300,000 wt oil have the same basic viscosity as 30,000 wt grease???

I'm just going to pretend this never got started...........

BTW, I didn't just make this up, this discussion started here:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/s...13115&perpage=15&highlight=oring&pagenumber=2

Read what they wrote and then tell me what they are saying... If you care... hahahaha....

What Sky said in that other thread was totally incorrect, just ignore that. Roadrash13 is also completely incorrect.

Between brands, oils are for the most part the same thickness.
ie Kyosho 1000 diff oil = Mugen 1000 diff oil. There's no conspiracy going on guys...

The comparison to shock oil isn't possible directly (CC and WT are different measurements, as one is linear and the other is progressive), so don't bother doing it. HB covered the facts in there about that. So that statement (comparing diff oil to shock oil) can be totally ignored too.

And Kyosho diff grease, let's not worry about that since we shouldn't be using that for buggy diff purposes.

The best starting point for any buggy with bevel diffs still remains 5k front, 7k center, and 1k rear. You can go a little further either way with that to suit yourself.

And as for the crazy thick oils the guys are using in the other thread, well no one actually cared to post how it influenced handling....

Also, to cover another misconception I read in there - the center diff isn't there in a buggy primarily to allow seperate front/rear braking rates, it's there primarily so power can be transferred un-evenly between front and rear end. Locking it isn't going to help handling any, for anyone that is racing.

uDi

The reasons that the guys are using such "crazy thick oil" is because they are getting a locked diff. that way. In my Storm I am running 5,000, 7,000, and 10,000. I am really happy with the set-up. The reason I chose these wgts. is because I needed less slip. The track I run on is very loose and in the higher speed corners you can really tell a difference. When I ran grease and the lighter weight fluid, I got way too much inside wheel spin.

The monster trcuk guys around here are all running 100,000 weight fluid so that they have very little inside wheel spin in the corners and it also takes almost all of the torque steer out of the trucks.(torque steer= pulling one direction due to engine torque)

Darin Gray

Is a high number still needed even if running the stock b01. It's pretty quick for being stock...

up to 10k is fine, but 50-100k sounds a bit overboard, kind of cancels out the point of having a diff there in the first place? Oh well, whatever rocks your boat

johnsland8 - that Kyosho shock oil is rated in CC, not WT. Mugen will likely be the same. Refer to Humboldt's conversion table in the other thread to see what it compares to in WT. I believe the table is off the twf8 site.

I still don't think you get it. Shock oil IS rated it WT. Diff oil ISNT. Diff oil is rated in CC, so when someone refers to 1000 diff oil, they don't mean its 1000wt - they mean it's 1000cc, which is a completely different unit of measurement.. Do you get it now?

:fro:

Last edited:
uDi -

I think I do understand the difference between the measurements. However, I think you mean it is rated in C's (or Cps = Centi Poise) which is a unit of viscosity, as cc's is actually a unit of volume (cubic centimeters). If you look at the specs of that oil though, it clearly states that it is 400 "WT", not "C's".
Do YOU get it?

Yea Jon you are right. CC is a volume measurement. I don't care what the bottle says. there is no way you are going to put 1000 cc's in a @oz or 50ML bottle.

Also the Mugen fluid says nothing on it except 5000 and 50ML that is all.

Darin Gray