Should I start into this hobby?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdeserted

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m a complete newb when it comes to hobby trade RC cars, but know some basics like brushless is faster and more upgradeable.. however the cost is too high for me to continuously upgrade so I was thinking of a brushed RTR vehicle. I have been looking at the Traxxas slash, and the Losi 2ss magnaflow which are both relatively cheap, and appear to be fun. Which one would you guys recommend? Is there another option I should be looking at other than these? I don’t plan on going racing, more so just using it around the yard with my 6 year old son for fun. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

If you wanna stay Big Bang super cheap, redcat is a great choice,
Next level in price would be traxxas , the joy of traxxas is its parts availability is everywhere,
Losi builds one heck of a machine, but ... I’m not 100 percent sure on pricing or a availability, but I can say for sure the redcat comes brushless and is complete for the same price as a brushed traxxas, and losi is a bit higher than either or of the other, ultimately it’s what you choose,

If you wanna stay Big Bang super cheap, redcat is a great choice,
Next level in price would be traxxas , the joy of traxxas is its parts availability is everywhere,
Losi builds one heck of a machine, but ... I’m not 100 percent sure on pricing or a availability, but I can say for sure the redcat comes brushless and is complete for the same price as a brushed traxxas, and losi is a bit higher than either or of the other, ultimately it’s what you choose,
I should also mention I have a traxxas rustler on steroids, a redcat volcano epx pro , and have had experience around losi

The Losi 2ss at my local hobby shop is priced at 200 and comes with a battery. The slash I think is around 275 with the battery.. I haven’t looked into redcat, just don’t wanna get something that will break eaSily if my son wrecks it

The Losi 2ss at my local hobby shop is priced at 200 and comes with a battery. The slash I think is around 275 with the battery.. I haven’t looked into redcat, just don’t wanna get something that will break eaSily if my son wrecks it
My redcat gets beat to all get out, and comes right back, I’m not joking when I say what comes next... my rustler is up around 700 invested, and like they said in grumpy old men...is in the shop again??? , a losi rtr for that price is pretty good, I do have to mention the rustler is an xl5 convert 2wd built for stupidity speed, and one good tumble breaks parts off lmao, literally I was amazed by the pounding the volcano endures by me and my kids that play with it, ( #2 son is 8 and # 3 son just turned 7) so in reality it’s gotten a beating too many hits to count, still running great

id say go with the slash as parts are what will hurt you when you can't find the part you need traxxas will always have the parts you need at a local hobby store..

You really can't go too wrong with either of your choices. A few things I don't like on the Losi are the solid non-adjustable steering links and rear links and I don't like the battery box set up . Also the open mounted receiver. A big plus for it is the cvd drive axles. On the the Traxxas you have more steering/suspension adjustability, the receiver is in a sealed box for easy clean up and better protection but it has weak drive cups on the transmission.

My son has a Slash and I have one. I really like them. the biggest issue we have had is the plastic drive cups on the transmission. I remember them breaking on my son's and mine broke on the second time out. After upgrading them, we rarely broke anything on my son's even after upgrading the brush-less VXL system. Mine unfortunately hasn't been out since due to me stepping away from the hobby for a few years.

Your main concern is to pick one that has parts support available and shouldn't be too disappointed with any hobby grade vehicle.

id say go with the slash as parts are what will hurt you when you can't find the part you need traxxas will always have the parts you need at a local hobby store..

If you are lucky enough to have a hobby store in your town. We have nothing in Joplin MO any longer.

Thanks for the replies guys, I’m leaning towards the slash if I take the plunge, I just don’t know if I’ll use it enough to justify the cost of the thing. It looks fun, but I also don’t want to invest in a money pit if things Continually break

Welcome in. One of the first thing we always learn is, its not if it breaks, its when. Those are good choices and I would go with the Traxxas just like mentioned above, parts are plentiful and reasonably priced..

The slash is a great truck. I bought them for my son's when they were young and both are still running strong. Proper cleaning and maintenance will prolong the life of any rc. Also, as others have mentioned parts availability is very important, and slash parts, both stock and upgrades are readily available.

I have played with both of them. It all depends on what you want to do with it. If it is just a back yard basher, the Slash would be the best choice. If you would like to start looking into being a little more competitive, I would lean towards the Losi. Although Losi is supported by just about every shop out there, parts for the Slash are easier to find. The Losi is more durable, but the Slash can withstand a little more water exposure. As for pricing, the Losi is cheaper and comes brushless.

A brushless setup is only about $20 more than a brushed setup. However, a brushless motor will last 100 times longer than a brushed and requires less maintenance. Racers will use the same brushless motor for almost a year and use a brushed motor for no more than 2 months. So, a brushless will actually last longer than a 100 times longer. You can also find brushless motors for about the same price as a comparable brushed motor.

Back