Short battery life

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjkennedy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Traxxas Bigfoot. I have two NIMH batteries. I can put them on the charger and they show to be charged after just a few minutes. Voltage is 8.7 volts. When I put them in my truck it runs as if it’s under powered. Won’t spin the tires or do a wheelie. After about a minute it just stops moving all together and seems to not have enough power to even run the steering servo. I removed the battery and checked it with a multimeter. It still has 8.7 volts. My ESC has low voltage detection turned off. And nothing is binding in the drive line. This happens with both batteries.

How old are the batteries?
How many cells?
I used to run 7S nimh packs in my slash and rustler a few years ago. Max voltage of those are around 10.5v. If they are 6 cell, max voltage of 9v.

From what i seen, after a year of owning nimh batteries, the cells degrade and don't last a long time anymore.

I'd advise to upgrade to 2s lipos and see if it still does the same thing, if it doesn't that means the nimh batteries were just degrading in life. Lipos are a lot more efficient and can last A LOT longer if you take care of them.

A few years. I was having this problem about. Year ago and put the car up, and just now getting it back out to figure out the problem.
They are 7 cell. So it kind of sounds like probably bad batteries.

A few years. I was having this problem about. Year ago and put the car up, and just now getting it back out to figure out the problem.
Yea the battery is just probably degrading. Nickel metal batteries don't last as long as lipos do. When I started out in RC I would have to get two new nimh batteries after every year as the runtime and capacity of the batteries would go down.

What I would do is upgrade to 2S lipos as they are more powerful more efficient and can last a lot longer. I have two batteries which are SMC Stick packs that are 8 years old and still hold a charge and in great condition.

Yea the battery is just probably degrading. Nickel metal batteries don't last as long as lipos do. When I started out in RC I would have to get two new nimh batteries after every year as the runtime and capacity of the batteries would go down.

What I would do is upgrade to 2S lipos as they are more powerful more efficient and can last a lot longer. I have two batteries which are SMC Stick packs that are 8 years old and still hold a charge and in great condition.
Welcome to the site and welcome back.

This is the best advice. Just make sure the xl5 has a low voltage cutoff or install a low voltage alarm.

If and when you go brushless you'll have the battery and charger already, so your price would be half.

These are nimh no need for low voltage cutoff to be on.if you were running lipo turn on. you just found the Biggest complaint about nimh(short life).My advice witch to lipo.you will be much happier in the end...just make sure you care for your lipos the correct way.

storage voltage
safety charge bag
store in cool dry place.
Chewy is talking about running lipos.

Back