She did it AGAIN!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of Don Julio - I'll have to try it out.

What are the odds of this topic coming up then a friend sending me an email last night about the Kentucky Bourbon Festival and wanting to know if I wanted to go.

-Michael

What are the odds of this topic coming up then a friend sending me an email last night about the Kentucky Bourbon Festival and wanting to know if I wanted to go.

-Michael

http://www.donjulio.com

I highly recommend Don Julio Anejo - The light blue cardboard box. It's really meant to be drank straight, not mixed with anything. Seriously, I pour about 6-8oz of it into a cognac glass at room temp and by the time that hits, you are in the happiest place on earth and nothing else matters. It's truly an amazing experience no other alcohol has given me because I can still understand everything that goes on, I just don't give a damn. I'd equate it somewhat to how people describe the effects of smoking a joint. ;)

I wouldn't mind going to that festival...we should make it a RCNT field trip!

Last edited:
I have to admit I'm not a fan of sipping whiskey (liquor in general for that matter) of any kind. I just don't enjoy it that much in it's purest form. I feel like if I cut it then I can better understand it's flavor profile. Even if it's just with some clean ice water.

Just leave the RC's at home, or you're going to have quite a repair bill. There's already enough RC crashes every year as it, but you throw drinking and driving in the mix and there will be the kind of crashes where your car is in 40 pieces and all that you can hope is that someone got it on film.

My nephew stirred us up some nice Manhattans while we were grilling

What? I'd expect this from someone like that fossil Rolex or FastEddy, but not you! My image of you is blown! Do you have to take your teeth out before you sip it through a straw?

I was blessed with the Maker's Mark experience last weekend. My nephew stirred us up some nice Manhattans while we were grilling. Gotta agree it's one smooth Kentucky. I've always been a Gin guy, but Maker's is going to find a place on my bar soon.

Makers Mark is some good whiskey. Keep a bottle on the bar at all times. Once it gets to about 1/4 it's time to get some more!

I never was a Bourbon drinker, but my neighbor just recently turned me on to it. He gave me a glass of Bufflo Trace and Coke. Been hooked on that ever since. At $25.00 a fifth, it has to be the smoothest bourbon I've ever had. (Sorry Jose, but we've just grown apart and I found someone new. sob sob.)

Last edited:
Patron is King.....El tesoro too....Don Julio is a good "daily drinker".....I will down some TaKillYa on some people.....I don't drink often but once I start...... hold back cause I'm a freakin maniac.....Jager and goldschlager are my runner ups.....but I'm more of a flower conoseur (sp?).....

-Michael
Damn. Not far from ya. That would be my idea of a fun road trip. =devil
Let us know if you make it.

I'm going to end up going and then blame all of you for making me go...

beer.jpg

-Michael

I'm going to end up going and then blame all of you for making me go...

-Michael
Don't blame us, you know a true hillbilly would have to go to something like that. =devil

I'm jealous.

I'm more of a Scotch Whisky kinda guy, single malt. Pour some in a glass at room temp, and it'll last a good hour. That or a bloody Mary.

Here's my small selection. The one on the left is my big favorite. It has a little hint of smoke in it, and is smooth as silk. The one on the right is a little more smokey, and has and smooth toffee like finish. Theone in the middle is only for the experienced. It has a strong peaty Smokey flavor. The inexperienced would equate it to licking an ashtray.

IMG_3647.jpg

The only bourbon I've ever tried is Jack Daniels, and that is some nasty stuff. I was considering using it in my RC's.

The only bourbon I've ever tried is Jack Daniels, and that is some nasty stuff. I was considering using it in my RC's.

Not sure on the spelling, but I thought the soothing libation of choice for all of Scandinavia was Aqua Vie.
That's a Vodka, not sure if it's potato, that's flavored with caraway seeds, and aged by loading it on a tanker, driving it down below the equator, turning around and bringing it back.

if you like rum, check out Stroh 80, made in Austria. SLIGHT butterscotch hint of flavor.
It says 80, which means 80% by vol.....160 proof
MMMM Coke zero and rum!

Otherwise, I will do some vodka, or cheap Captian spiced knock-off.

But I REALLY dont drink much at all anymore.

Not to argue, just to understand.. but JD technically is NOT a bourbon? Is that correct? Woodie?

Ok it's a Sour mash Whiskey. but it's still crap.

Rolex the one your thinking of is Line Aquavit. It tastes nothing like the Danish traditional aquavit. I don't like it all that much, but I do have some at Easter and Christmas accompanied by a slice of rugbrød with a pickled herring. Ok that sonds a bit wirder than it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akvavit

Neobart, both my parents immigrated from Norway during the war, and after getting married, lived in an all Norwegian neighborhood, so I grew up with all the traditional foods.
I've got to say, there are a lot of treats I really miss.

Back