Schumacher Meance .21 review/first impressions!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30%NitroBoy

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whaddup guys,

Well, I had the pleasure of driving some awesome New Nitro vehicles this past week. One of my bash buds got the 1/10th Schumacher Racing Menace .21 4wd this last weekend and was nice enough to let me play with it for a couple days...hehehe. He payed around $469 not including radio, reciever and servos. THe two servos cost over $125.

At first glance the truck is gorgeous IMHO. He got the 90% version. It comes in 90% assembeled (the one I ran) and RTR apparently. Actually it should be called a 80% IMO as it needs two servos and radio/reciever. The body was metallic silver with sweet looking deep purple flames on the front that match the chassis and shocks. I've never seen an offering from them that comes with a painted body but this one is very nice (custom) looking. THe CHassis is a very nice deep purple alluminum, the shocks are matching purple alluminum and aren't threaded (big gripe but oh well spacers work but threaded is easier). The upper chassis is either Carbon fiber or Woven graphite (I think it's the later). THe cooling head on the ABC .21 is also matching purple (bad for those sick of purple). The Truck was suprisngly light....They claim 2.4Kilograms.

He installed a Hitec 5645 Digital Ultra Torque Servo for steering and an unknown model # of overpriced and nice JR servo for throttle and brake. Using a Futaba Magnum FM radio and reciever. Everything was set VERY nice on his reciever for the truck.

The powerplant is an ABC .21 "pro spec" engine with 3.5cc and a claimed 2.1HP. Pretty sweet IMO considering OFNA claims 2.7 HP on the Mighty .26 Picco Outlaw and it's clone the Wasp .26. It comes with a "roto-start"...they call it an "E-start" so we lugged around the torque drill. The truck comes with plenty of "hop-ups and it should" for the HIGH price. It has MIP cvds's all around and a 3 speed tranny "gear box" with belt. It has a polished alluminum tuned pipe mouted toward the rear with an exhaust deflector that points the exhuast straigt out of the back of the truck.....really sweet. I just found out (explains allot now) that it has a "12 Ball Limited Slip diff, front and rear".....really PHUCKING SWEET.

The engine was well broken in.....I drove it in a parking lot @ first. This truck is all ENGINE, Out of the hole the power is great....mid range is very good and top End it AWESOME. The truck sounds just like a 2.5 Maxx but allot louder...the sound was awesome. It was apparent within 2 minutes that I'd have to take this thing to an Airstrip to experience the full extent of the top end. I drove out to an old Airport. I wish I had access to a Radar gun @ the time but oh well. WIth literally miles of pavement to play on it wasn't a problem experiencing this beast @ WOT.

PHUCING FAST is the only way to truly describe it. I couldn't hear it shifting in to third gear but with some minor tuning of the HSN needle you could here her shift whilst you blasted out into the horizon. It's so fast that you can't really slam the throttle in a tight area as you'd probably rip this thing in to if you hit a wall going 40+. They calim 70+ MPH like most of their cars and trucks. I was driving her @ a mile high alltitiude but I wouldn't be suprised this thing could do 74 MPH at sea level. The overall handling, control and response was excellent. I'm sure excellent servos had allot to do with it but the design is definitley nice. The stock tires seemed to be holding up well but after a couple weeks of on-road these spiked tires would probably be shot.

Well, I really wanted to c what she could do off-raod but I didn't want to spend 2+ hours cleaning here and I was scared as hell of breaking something. I called my bud and he said no prob, if you break it your buying it. I took the chance. I took her out to my favorite hill climbing and jump spot where I also WHEEL my real trucks. I didn't want to jump her hard as the truck doesn't seem sturdy enough IMO for big jumps "stock" and I didn't wanna have to buy it..lol. It was really hard to get her into 2nd much less 3rd off road as she's just sick fast and your not reaching the proper RPM's when your tires are slipping. The handling off-road reminds me of a well desinged 1/8th buggy more then a Stadium truck or most any 1/0th. SHe climmed hills with ease and put most any stock truck or buggy to shame. I was also pretty impressed with some EASY rockcrawling that I did.

So in conclusion,

This is the first Schumacher truck or car that I've driven for this long. This is what I'd call a "PRO" level big boy toy and it's AWESOME. Everything on the truck seems excellent short of the lack of threaded shocks. The handling overall was great and the power doesn't leave much more to be desired. This is definitley NOT for NITRO newbs unless your some rich kid or dude with money to burn. THIS IS NOT for an in-experienced driver....PERIOD. Car and trucks with this much power will definitley teach you to be a better driver but parts for their trucks can be hard to find and more expensive genrally. This truck seems STURDY for what I was doing off-road but this isn't a Savage. This truck is build for speed, dirt racing and hill-climbing. I wasn't thirlled with the dual turnbuckle setup and I think they should come with Ti turnbuckles stock for the price of around $469.00 for the 90%. I'm not sure about the price for the RTR. I was impressed as hell with the LSD's and phat kuddos to them for that too. I'm you've got a speed addiction like many then this may be the ticket.

That was a mouthfull...lol. FYI, The stock throttle spring that it came with was VERY Strong and the servo couldn't overcome it. I wouldn't touch this truck without a good Failsafe. I'm going to buy one ASAP.

Peace

Originally posted by FastEddy
Pics?

SUp man,

I didn't bring a digi-cam for what turned out to be a five hour test drive. I'm definitely gonna buy one ASAP. I might even sell some parts off my RX-7 that are uuuhh unecessary to get one and I'll be sure to post plenty of pics and digi-video clips for all. I might put my Drag race Maxx project on hold to get the necessary funds as that truck was to much fun. It's definitley one of the best RC's I've seen come through the pipeline in a long time. I'm fortunate enough to have Bash buddies with lots of MOOLA and they know I can drive so they often let me play with their toys. I'll do radar tests and "TIME" all of them @ short and long intervels eddy..hehe.

My biggest question is it's durability. Yes, no car or truck is ever going to be made to drive into a wall going 40 or god forbid 70mph but I don't think you could jump the hell out of this truck like you can to some extent with a stock Maxx or Savage. THen again they're totally different animals. I'm really impressed as stated with the LSD's.

EDIT - Also the Engine was relatively easy to tune. I didn't drive it long enough to make any kind of real judement of holding a tune though. Here's a link to their site with the specs. I have no affiliation whatsover with their company. This truck definitley carries some bragging rights and I'm sure I'll be the first on the block to own it as all of my neighbors are like 80...bad for them and good for me..hehe. They make no noise and I make allot.http://www.racing-cars.com/menace.asp

Last edited:
I talked to my LHS after work about this beast. He couldn't get me a price for the RTR with AIrtronics gear but the 90% is gonna cost around $469 (ouch). If I get one next month I'll definitely post pics.

Peace

No one other then ME has driven this beast yet?? I'd love to here opinions from other EXPERIENCED drivers.

Peace

i was very interested in the overkill factor of the truck when i saw it but have read some durability/quality issies from someone on this forum, and kinda backed off. of course hearing from you only pulls me back the other way and jsut am as lost agian on these freakin R/C choices!! haha

Originally posted by alkyula
i was very interested in the overkill factor of the truck when i saw it but have read some durability/quality issies from someone on this forum, and kinda backed off. of course hearing from you only pulls me back the other way and jsut am as lost agian on these freakin R/C choices!! haha

Well, your remarks kind of bring up allot of things. What "Someone are you reffering to". Like I said, as far as I know I'm the only person on this forum that's driven the damn thing...lol. We had it out on a phucking airstrip to test out the top end and overall high speed perfromance. THe truck is a well engineered piece of equipment. Thunder Tiger makes the engine and IME they make good ones.

I have a Menace 21. There are pics in my gallery. IMO it is a very well put together truck with quality parts. It is insanely fast though. I have put about 10 tanks through it with no problems. Even had it take a few jumps in dirt without any problems. Needs a lot of room though to get it into 3rd gear. I really love the rear exhaust. No mess at all on the truck.

There used to be 2 other threads regarding the Menace. I started one, another member who had issues with it started the other. He ended up selling it to someone else. Even a rep from Schumacher got involved in the thread.

As durability goes, I believe it to be just as durable as other stadium trucks out there. You will always break parts, and the faster you go the more parts that you are likely to break with things go even a little wrong. It is not a monster truck, nor is it built like one.

Originally posted by robmob
I have a Menace 21. There are pics in my gallery. IMO it is a very well put together truck with quality parts. It is insanely fast though. I have put about 10 tanks through it with no problems. Even had it take a few jumps in dirt without any problems. Needs a lot of room though to get it into 3rd gear. I really love the rear exhaust. No mess at all on the truck.

There used to be 2 other threads regarding the Menace. I started one, another member who had issues with it started the other. He ended up selling it to someone else. Even a rep from Schumacher got involved in the thread.

As durability goes, I believe it to be just as durable as other stadium trucks out there. You will always break parts, and the faster you go the more parts that you are likely to break with things go even a little wrong. It is not a monster truck, nor is it built like one.

Well Damn dude.......Thanks rob and thanks for the other info. It's great to hear anothers experience on this and especially a reputable member to boot. I'm sold on it.......the speed isn't "overkill" but it's definitley not for in-experienced drivers as you could literally do allot of damage with that car. Like I said, we had to take it to an airstrip to top it out as I didn't feel comfortable doing it on even the biggest paved lot. The engine seemed to tune easy all that was needed to get her into third was minor adjustments on the HSN.

Peace

yea i read its the same .21 motor thats in the monster gt:drool:

Originally posted by vaughn
yea i read its the same .21 motor thats in the monster gt:drool:

Yeah,

I've read that Thunder Tiger makes the engine for the MGT. I wouldn't be suprised if the .21 on the Schumacher Menace had better porting then the engine on the MGT but they could be identical cept for cooling head.

Can't wait to get me a Schumacher......so many toys and so little time.

Edit _ I couldn't help but laugh the other day when this little kid walked out of an LHS with his brand new and broken in Schumacher Menace. THe dude was maybe 9 or 10 years old. Then he and his father got into their Hummer H2...lmao.

Peace

And people say I have more money and time than sense....at least I waited until I was over thirty before dropping coin on a toy like that...:D

BTW, nice review. Too bad no pictures to go with it. Still, nice review.

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
And people say I have more money and time than sense....at least I waited until I was over thirty before dropping coin on a toy like that...:D

Hey Sky..hows yas doing tonight man. I have no idea what your above statement has to do with the price of hookers in Bangkok but I get ya....lol.

I wish I'd taken pictures, it's times like that when you wish you had a camera phone.....oh well. That Schumacher doesn't have much competition short of a nitro touring car. If I buy one next month I'll be sure to post plenty of pics and digi-vid clips.

Peace

heres the thread on the person that said a few things didnt go well for him with the menace, i couldnt remember his name but found the thread by searching

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7866&highlight=menace+.21

metallicamaxx at first loved the truck then later found it to not be doing so well. anyway that was what originally turned me away from considering the menace. but I'm very glad but at the same time upset that yours seems to be doing great things for you, as now I'm like i said before even more lost in the choices for my next r/c purchase...jsut too many to choose from!! hehe

Thanks for writing such a great review. Dang...now I think I might have to sell my Monster GT to try out the Menace 21. Hehe. I'm just not happy with my Monster GT

Rolex and others - No problem bro. Just keep in mind that the MGT and the Meance are two different animals. I'm proabbly gonna get the MGT in the future. Just so everyones totally clear, I don't own the Meance....YET.

Peace

rob.. those hpi belted x pattern tires on yours?

Originally posted by CRSMP5
rob.. those hpi belted x pattern tires on yours?

They are Venom Streets by Schumacher.

I had one. Sold it to buy a Sportmaxx. I just didnt have the room. It was scary fast,but I thought the truck was fragile. I broke 2 a-arms landing off small jumps that the Maxx just soaks up. All in all the speed was impressive, but I think for the money it could have been a little more heavy duty. I still have an extra a-arm if anyone need one quick.They did have GREAT customer service to.

Back