Savage engine and/or fuel tank issues.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacRacing

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a Savage 25 that is mostly stock except I took that horrible tank off and did the new era (ofna) fuel tank change and a tank protector.
Have they come out with an easy to install MGT tank mod??
Also, what is everyone's favorite Savage engine upgrade?
Are you able to keep after-market engines cool on this truck??

I really hate the s25 motor. It runs really hot. I can't keep it cool enough.
It runs fast, but really hot.
Richening it up usually equals crappy performance and engine shut offs.

There are a few that I've noticed that people buy a lot. SH 28, XTM 24.7, Mach 26, Racers Edge .32, Wasp 28 are the top ones I see.

I've been running an OS 21 RG in mine for over 2 years. It's not the most powerful thing out there, but it works well for the bashing I do. I can't gear much higher that 15/52 with it because it makes it run hot. But with 15/52, it runs around 220-240 all day long.

How does the O.S. 21 rg compare to the s25

TacRacing said:
How does the O.S. 21 rg compare to the s25

About the same performance. The 21 rg will be a much more reliable mill though, and they're cheap.

For the money I would go with something other than a RG. An SH .28 or even a XTM 24.7 are better than the S-25 and they are just over 100 bucks.

I'd also suggest the STS .28 - it apparently goes harder than the SH. I currently run one in my Kyosho Inferno buggy and it is crazy fast and easy to tune. I hated the GX-21 the buggy originally came with as it used to either run fat and slow or fast but stupidly hot. So I made the upgrade, and at $112, you can't really go wrong!

bustedgears said:
About the same performance. The 21 rg will be a much more reliable mill though, and they're cheap.

So the RG will keep up with the .25 as far as power and speed??

I have been wanting to get an OS for a while. I just didn't know if it was too weak for monster trucks.

I personally would not put an RG in a Savage, but I have never owned an RG. I wouldn't put any .21 in a Savage for that matter.

What I would do (after reading your other thread) is put a pullstart RG in your buggy and put the .26 in the savage.:2cents:

I think that is what I am going to do.
The only problem is getting to the sportwerks roto start plate.. i will figure it out though.
Thanks for the input!!
I think I am going to order the RG tonight.

Adrian

I never had problems with my S-25 running hot.

same here. what do u consider hot?
i had over 5 gallons in 1 s25 before it started to get hot and by hot i mean 280's

Yeah, I can't stand tuning. I am not horrible at it.. but I love when an engine is just flat out reliable.. holds a tune...
Spending more time driving and less wondering, tweaking, and testing is the goal.
haha
Is the O.S. 30 as reliable as the RG??

Did you look at the Axial line of motors?..the .28 is snappy as heck,holds a tune good...i have the .32 in one of my savy's,i just rounded 2 gallons on it now and no problems yet and the price is awesome...even up here in Canada.

hey
can you guys tell me the pro & cons of adding a length of hose to my exaust tip

There aren't any cons if you don't make the hose smaller than the stinger. The only pro's are that it quiet's things down a bit and spits the oil out further away from the truck.

Back