Nitro Slash high Idle and creeping issues, as well as redline without touching the gas.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARandomNitroer

RC Newbie
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey, I'm new to Nitro RC, just got my first yesterday, I tried to break it in in about 37 degrees Fahrenheit weather, it was working great until it reached about half a tank. It then started stalling, and the idle was creeping higher than it already was, and constantly fighting the breaks. (it already idled high, just thought it was normal.) I kept going through with the break-in, and it stalled twice more, both times it fired right back up. I was about 5/8 through the first tank, but then I didn't turn tight enough and got it stuck in the grass. I walked over to put it back on the sidewalk, but the minute I set down the controller and picked the truck up, the engine pretty much redlined without me touching the controller and then popped and died. it did fire right back up but kept wanting to idle high, but I shut it off before it could get too high. When It was running fine there was little to no smoke coming out of the exhaust, so is it running too lean? When I got it inside and let it cool for a bit I richened the high speed and low-speed needles while also lowering the idle with the screw. I have not fired it up again yet, but I will tomorrow, any advice?

I'm not that knowledgable on nitro, but 37F is way too cold, from what I have heard, 50F and higher is recommended for break in. Follow this tuning flowchart.

I'm not that knowledgable on nitro, but 37F is way too cold, from what I have heard, 50F and higher is recommended for break in. Follow this tuning flowchart.
Sure, I’m going to try again tomorrow, should be about 55 degrees so fingers crossed, I did riches the high and low speed needles a bit btw.

The best advice I have, any tuning or idle adjustment is best with the engine on. Make sure to warm the engine with a hair dryer or heat gun with no flame. Nitro engines have a tight pinch to run off compression. On break in, and cold starts it is extremely tight, warming the engine will help the cylinder expand and loosen up a bit.

Try the factory settings on a warmer day
https://traxxas.com/support/Factory-Carburetor-Settings-TRX-25-25R-and-33

Here is a how to for cold weather.
https://traxxas.com/support/Winter-Operating-Tips

After break in you can tune. The break in is set rich from the factory to help the engine stay lubed while being broken in.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

A little secret, tune on half a tank. It will be slightly rich until halfway, but wont be overly lean on half tank like you would on a full tank tune.