Savage acceleration

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zjelko

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys

I am fairly new to Nitro RC, and got my self a HPI Savage X

I am loving it and learning something new everyday, aleady changed Spur, Clutch, and done the mod on my Throttle/Brake linkage and spring.

My question is it seems a bit slugish on the acceleration/pulloff, once it changes to second gear it fly's and seems smooth, is this my LSN or my HSN?

also for some reason it seems to start running better from about 3/4 -1/2 down to empty, is my tuning too rich at full tank?

thanks guys

Thanks. I have gone through the tuning tips and its running a lot better

Check out my little video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5Q7WAWg8M"]HPI Savage x4.6 - YouTube[/ame]

Do you hear that chewbacca sound after you come off the throttle, it tells you that the motor is lean. Not a whole lot but enough to make that sound. Richen the hsn up about a 1/12 turn and listen. Also running in grass causes the motor to heat up quicker. So just richen accordingly. Your tranny could be stuck in second meaning it engages to soon. You can turn the adj screw on the tranny clutch about an 1/8 turn clockwise and see of that helps.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is when your tuning the motor, only fill the tank up half way. Why because the savage has a HTL problem where the motor leans out as the tanks empties. So by filling half way and tuning your rich when full but and a good tune at halfway. This will help protect the motor and stop those lean runs.

Wow. Thanks for the advise guys. I also thought about the gear change. Will definitely give that a try

Yeah, your gear change is set really low in the RPM's. You can hear it shift in the last few seconds of the vid as your taking off. I'd adjust that a bit so it gets moving a bit faster before shifting or your going to start burning through clutch shoes. Screw in the adjustment screw 1/4 turn or so. Should make a difference when accelerating from a stop. Don't punch it full throttle or you may not hear it. Just accelerate slowly until you hear the shift, then you get an idea what your listening for when you punch it.