Savage XL Trash acceleration

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage .59 XL

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just ran my savage XL 5.9 today and well I’m not really liking the performance granted it’s 45°C here in the Middle East and quite humid. I did all I can tuning the LSN, HSN and idle but it just wasn’t giving me the changes I wanted. So the car either idles very loud or the rpm decreases until it dies. Any change to the LSN either kills it on idle or makes it very lean. The HSN was quite responsive and adjustments improved the top speed and return to idle. The only way I can get it to move and not be slow as poop was by giving it 50%+ throttle and then it’d pick up. The reason I’m complaining is because this is like the 5th tank trying to chase my previous tune from 2 weeks ago. It was pulling wheelies and hitting all three gears now only 2. Please help. If videos are needed let me know!

Have you checked the slipper clutch. Did the temperature change a lot from 2 weeks ago?
I have the slipper clutch all the way tight because it was slipping way too much and my spring is done. The temps went high but I adjusted the HSN and everything. I do have a suspicion that this problem is because of my air filter. I filled it with the bicycle chain lubricant because there are no air filters here nor oil… could that be cause of this? Should I use engine oil instead?

Look at a motorcycle shop. They used to use lots of foam filters on offroad and racing bikes and had the cleaner and lube for them. I have only used the correct stuff on mine so I dont know what else would work.

Look at a motorcycle shop. They used to use lots of foam filters on offroad and racing bikes and had the cleaner and lube for them. I have only used the correct stuff on mine so I dont know what else would work.
Alright that sounds good bro. Thanks a lot. You reckon that’ll fix my problem?

I dont know but it's a start. A plugged filter would make it run rich like having a choke on an engine closed. By the time you leaned it out to run it would make less power because you are burning less fuel.

but I am just on the internet guessing here.

I dont know but it's a start. A plugged filter would make it run rich like having a choke on an engine closed. By the time you leaned it out to run it would make less power because you are burning less fuel.

but I am just on the internet guessing here.
thanks a lot dude! I will try this next weekend.

Odds are, bicycle chain lube isn't a good choice. For RC filters, you want sticky air filter oil. I've used motorcycle oil for years on mine, PJ1:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/pj1-foam-air-filter-oil-p

I soak the filter with wd-40, work it through to clean it. Then use dish soap/water to wash out the wd-40. They end up looking like new. Then I put it in a baggie, spray a bit of air filter oil in on it, then work the oil through the filter by squishing it in the oil.

Odds are, bicycle chain lube isn't a good choice. For RC filters, you want sticky air filter oil. I've used motorcycle oil for years on mine, PJ1:

I soak the filter with wd-40, work it through to clean it. Then use dish soap/water to wash out the wd-40. They end up looking like new. Then I put it in a baggie, spray a bit of air filter oil in on it, then work the oil through the filter by squishing it in the oil.
Well yesterday I went around to this automotive store and ask for air filter oil and they though it was some prank like blinker fluid. Anyway I think I’ll go to an actual motorcycle shop and ask for it but I’ll prolly do that in the weekend because I got some work to do. Thanks a lot tho!

Also is it possible to just run it without air filter oil? I’ll just make sure to put oil around the inner filter where it meets the plastic housing

These little engines run at a high rpm with the compression created by a seal between the piston itself and cylinder wall. Any amount of dust breathed in will cause permanent damage to the engine and shorten it's life.

I wouldn't run one with a dry filter. You can risk it and use some other light oil, but I'd steer clear of dusty/dirty/sandy areas until you have proper air filter oil. Once you have some, you will see why it's preferred. It seems really thin until the liquid evaporates, then it becomes this stringy tacky oil.