RS4-3 2 Speed?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyOne

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Have a RS4-3 with an Os.15CVRX engine, my problem is that my two speed is eating up spur gears like candy, checked clearance and alightment twice and all looked good, this happened as soon as i installed the OS. Possible to much torque? Don't even know where to begin any help would be cool....or should i just juck the HPI 2 Speed and install the WolfPack version?
Thanks

I wouldn't think there was too much torque for that system. The gears in the 2-speed are pretty beefy. I would make sure the mesh is good. A little on the tight side, but still a little play. Make sure the gears are aligned. Check the motor mount. Make sure it's nice and tight. Make sure the engine can't move even the slightest under acceleration or the mesh will open and the gears can implode. And see if there's any unusual binding in the drivetrain that would load up the gears more than usual.

Thanks Candyman, now that you mention it i have these crap motor mounts and the motor does pull a little under full throttle, so your saying that might be the prob. i'll pick up some new motor mounts and realighn, also the chrome paint job was tight, great work......:cheers:

Glad I could help. The motor mounts are one place that people overlook so that may be the problem.
And thanks for the props on the body.

Did you change the gear ratio at all? When I put in my Fantom fr15 I also chewed up a few spurs.I was using a 23T/17T pinion combo with the stock spurs and the mesh on second gear wasn't right and I kept eating the spurs up.I'm now using 23T/19T pinions with 37T/41T spurs without any problems.

Thanks Rex i'll try that since i have to buy new ones anyway....also thanks for the quick responses.....

I'm not sure what kind of power the OS makes but just be sure not to over gear it.I tried this setup with my 12rss engine and it bogged down really bad off the line.Try a few different setups to see what works best for that engine.You may have to dremal the mounting slots to get the proper mesh with the smaller gears too.It's no big deal just make the slots a little longer and don't make the holes any biggger or the screws won't hold good.