Reviving an old tg10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes oil content is different

you can use k+n filter oil ,just make you don't put too much on the filter.

I was able to check the fuel, options are a liter of Tornado 25% for 12 usd or Rapicon 25 4L with 11.5% oil for 30.

Now all I need is a battery for my starter, something no shops seem to stock anymore. I have two old glow plug starters, one does have charger but I can't find the battery. Any ideas on this, I would attempt fitting an AA or AAA battery in the starter but I'd like some input before I end up starting an electrical fire.

what size battery does it take ,if its a sub c you will need to find a charger ,a 'aa' battery may fit but it may not last long and for a fire I doubt I but you could check it before using it and if the body of the ignitor gets warm don't use it I guess

Yeah, sub C batteries. I tried fitting an AA in the starter and was distracted by a phone call, two minutes later I come back to it and the battery was red hot. I panicked a bit and couldn't get it out but was eventually able to knock it loose by throwing the starter against the wall - I won't be trying that again.

EDIT: I'll be passing by a battery wholesaler later, hopefully they'll have the sub c sizes. I'm looking not to spend too much right now since all of this is to test if the car and parts still work so I'm going to get a regular battery but in case I get a rechargeable one, would you guys suggest nicd or nimh? The charger I have for the glow plug starter doesn't say which it takes and I don't know if the two types are interchangeable.

Last edited:
NiMh. Either one works with the igniter. NiCads are old technology.

Easy now all 3 of mine are still NICD and they still work after sitting in my garage for 8 years. :p

I had a closer look at the charger packaging, the english directions don't say anything but the german text does seem to say nicd so I guess that's what works with the charger.

I did get a friend over who is much less of a female pee pee than I am to try the glow plug again with the AA battery and although it did not turn red, there was smoke. A lot of it, I was standing safely from four feet away and it was easy enough to see after just a quick touch of the igniter contacts. I guess that means both the plug and igniter work? Doe does smoke without the coil turning red signify some problem with it?

If your not putting enough juice to it the plug may get warm but not hot enough to glow, get the right battery or new igniter and try it again.

You obviously had a lot of old dried out oil in the plug causing the smoke, but it should have glowed a bright yellow if it had a good filament and enough juice in the igniter otherwise it won't start the engine.

The fact that it smoked at all at least means the starter still works which is another good thing. It was only a quick touch on the contacts since my friend had trouble holding it into place but i'll see if I can try it again for a bit longer. If I do get it to work, is the smoke a bad thing? Should I try cleaning the glow plug first before starting the engine?

I passed by the area with all the battery shops today. No luck with the regular batteries, only rechargeable ones are available. Mostly NIMH, there were some generic lower mah nicd batters but they had flaps on them like they were made for packing together. I thought I'd try to read more into it before deciding, see if the nicd charger would be able to charge nimh batteries.

Finally got the filter, it fits but is a bit loose, good thing it came with some zip ties

As far as the fuel tank goes, I've cleaned it with soap and water but there's still some yellow stuff, I think it's stained the inside walls. The rest of the gunk is gone, now i'm wondering if I should try soaking it in lemon juice or vinegar to get rid of the yellowed inner walls or if it's ok to run like this?