Reviving an old tg10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1_

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know nothing at all about these cars. I have an old tg10 that has been in it's box for years. It was used twice then stored so I know it's in good condition. Apart from needing a new air filter and some gunk stuck to the inside of the fuel tank it looks brand new. I would just like some quick info before attempting to restart it myself so I don't cause any damage to it.

Firstly, what kind of fuel do i get for it? I seem to remember there being different concentrations of fuel available for these things. I assume I'll have to clean the tank first, what do i use and what shouldn't i use. Is there anything else I should do with the actual fuel line or the engine itself to prepare for this before putting in the fuel?

The last time it was stored years ago, i put some engine after run oil in the engine so hopefully that helped keep it in workable condition after being stored for several years.

I would start with a new fuel tank,disassemble and totally clean every last piece and orifice of the carb,new fuel line,new glow plug,make sure the igniter still holds a charge,new fuel 20%..see what the lhs offers for fuel,stay away from the traxxas fuel imo....and most importantly make sure the electronics are all up to snuff 100%

Thanks. I figured to check the servo's and them but didn't think I would need a new tank and how do i clean the carb? Can i make do with the old fuel line in case I don't get a new one? I passed by where all the hobby shops used be but they're no longer there so I'll have to figure out where to get a new air filter and fuel but at least I now have an idea of what needs to be done :) I did see a shop specializing in airplane and helicopter nitro toys but i don't know if the parts are interchangeable though.

You can use some new fuel or even some WD40 to clean out the tank.
New fuel lines are a must and very cheap.
Is the engine free, rotating easily or is it "sticky" feeling when you turn it over by hand?
Towerhobbies, Amain, and Nitrohouse are all good places to order from if you don't have a LHS.

I researched some hobby stores locally and I'll be heading out to the nearest one which is 40 mins away, sometime next week.
I've put the car away, but from what I remember when pulling the starter, it would rotate quite freely, maybe with a bit of resistance.

Just curious, what would it mean if it were sticky or not rotating at all and what kind of work would be needed in that situation?

The shop dealing with planes and helis would be a good place to start. They would have the fuel line as well as the knowledge to tell you if you have a slipping one way bearing or another problem as far as starting.

Your post says it's a TG10. That's doubtful, so double check what it is.
It could be a Hot Bodies Lightning GT10 or maybe a Team Associated RC10GT.

Last edited:
You might also post a short video with sound of you trying to start the rig.

It's a TG-10. I still have the box and everything.

Right now I'm just asking about the engine out of curiosity, there really are no indications that anything is wrong. I'll try to get a new fuel line and clean the tank as you guys suggested and go from there.

I recently got a tamiya tr-15t going after sitting in a box for 10 years and the only bits i need to replace were a glow plug fuel line and the air filter element . The engine i had (fs-15lt) was badly gummed and not stored properly so it took a bit to get it too move again .if the engine turns over ok i would spray a bit of wd40 down the plug hole and also down the carb then pull the starter and fo that half a dozen times make sure you get out as much of it as you can before trying to start it. Also a os #8 plug is good for this engine and i would not go any higher than 15% nitro as its an older engine and tend to like a wee bit more oil than newer engines in my experience. The tank shiuldnt need to be replaced unless the seal is shot .
What engine is it running?

Id tear down the engine and carb, and replace the fuel lines and tank- its so common to find that all your engine problems are caused by an air leak from the fuel tank. Also check servos and tx/rx and all that :)

I recently got a tamiya tr-15t going after sitting in a box for 10 years and the only bits i need to replace were a glow plug fuel line and the air filter element . The engine i had (fs-15lt) was badly gummed and not stored properly so it took a bit to get it too move again .if the engine turns over ok i would spray a bit of wd40 down the plug hole and also down the carb then pull the starter and fo that half a dozen times make sure you get out as much of it as you can before trying to start it. Also a os #8 plug is good for this engine and i would not go any higher than 15% nitro as its an older engine and tend to like a wee bit more oil than newer engines in my experience. The tank shiuldnt need to be replaced unless the seal is shot .
What engine is it running?

IT's an old mk1 chassis, the engine is old but I've only run it two or three times before storing it. Do you happen to know if all the engines take the same size air filters? I haven't had the time to look it up like I've wanted to but I may be able to pass by some local shops today. The tg10 isn't so popular here, the places I asked about them last year stocked parts but the staff couldn't answer my questions about which part was for which model, which is why i hesitated on the purchase.

i think you should be able to use any .12-.15 air filter , perhaps take the old one with just to measure. unfortunately the tg10 is around 15 years old and the older Tamiya nitro were painful to get parts for back then but now its near on impossible,maybe a quick trip over to Tamiyaclub.com could shed some more light on it for you, you can also download the manual for most cars through there too which should help.

Thanks for that. I walked a total of 3km yesterday looking for car parts and some other stuff. Passed through where all the hobby shops locally are situated, four out of eight in the area sold RC cars but no nitro parts. One that had them did not have any stock. They all sell battery powered cars now, mostly chinese brands, some tamiya xb, kyosho, xray and some high end ones which I can't remember the brands. I got a look at some and now I'm considering getting one, but that's a topic for another thread.

I did manage to find another shop which carried nitro and filters. away from all the regular area but the owner was a peepee. Chatted with some guy at the counter for 10 mins without even turning his head when I approached the counter several times, so I had to wait till they were done. Then making inquiries about fuel I asked if he had anything smaller than 2l containers asked me to make a price for how much fuel I wanted, insisting that I make a price. He pointed at a water bottle, about 400ml and asked how much I was willing to pay. I kept telling him i wasn't familiar with that stuff and it was up to him, at which point he said if I didn't know he wasn't willing to help me ("you don't know, I don't help"), so came out with a price i thought was reasonable based on what I saw on the larger containers, 6usd for a little under 400ml, to which he immediately countered with 8usd or so. I don't know why he didn't just come out with that price right away, I got the impression he was trying to hustle me. He also kept telling me he was busy despite not appearing to be doing anything at all.

With that seemingly done, I then proceeded to inquire about the air filters, he said since I wasn't buying that day ( I told him I would come back with my own container for the fuel), he wasn't going to show me and again said he was busy, leaning against the counter looking at his phone.
Told me he would only show me if I bought them, at this point I was getting annoyed and may have raised my voice a bit to ask to have a look which seems to have had an effect. It turned out the air filters were right behind him, all he had to do was turn and there was a whole bunch of them he put on the counter. I tried to pick through them because they were all different shapes and sizes, there was one that seemed to have the same padding and consistency as mine but had a curved attachment so I tried to compare with another one but as soon as I put the filters down, he picked them up and held on to them preventing me from taking any further looks.
At this point I'm really pissed, I go off a bit about how was I supposed to make a decision if I didn't know what was available, or if it even matched what I was looking for and may have slammed my hand against the counter in my pissed off state. The guy was such a peepee that I thought he was going to come back at me with some type of response, but just stood there and kept looking away so i decided to walk away before I ended up doing anything stupid.

Sorry to go off topic with that but that's the type of nonsense I have to deal with here in HK. Service isn't that great but it's been a while since I've encountered a peepee like that who was able to really piss me off, making me jump through hoops for some basic inquiries on products he was selling. I'll keep looking for parts, I won't buy from that guy on principle and if I do go back there I'm just as likely to come out with an assault charge as I am getting new parts for my rc.

Sounds like his business plan is sound lol
Not being from the states i can't help you with a local shop but i would try either tower hobbies or amain and get it dropped to your door ,they ship over here and i think tower does a bit more tamiya. Alternatively jump on the bay and look for a air filter thats what i ended up doin for my tr-15t . If you can post up a pic of it i think i have a part number also what is the engine model?

Yeah, I have a few more shops to check out then I'll try online. Not sure about the engine model, I did get the website for the part number for the filter which I can't find at the moment. There is actually a Tamiya office here in HK so I will call them on Monday to check.

I'm really not in any rush to find the parts, I have been thinking about buying an electric car though I guess I'll look into getting an entry level car while I search for my nitro parts.

I guess I'll look into getting an entry level car while I search for my nitro parts.
What ever you do, don't settle for something just because it's cheap. A good purchase is ALWAYS a good purchase and cheap entry level gets thrown away along with the enjoyment of the hobby. Make sure you get a car that has good support as far as parts and upgrades or you'll just be trashing the car and the cash.
Give us an idea of your budget and we'll try to steer you toward something that will be a lasting enjoyment for you.

What ever you do, don't settle for something just because it's cheap. A good purchase is ALWAYS a good purchase and cheap entry level gets thrown away along with the enjoyment of the hobby. Make sure you get a car that has good support as far as parts and upgrades or you'll just be trashing the car and the cash.
Give us an idea of your budget and we'll try to steer you toward something that will be a lasting enjoyment for you.

Actually the closest thing to my budget which is zero dollars, are the Kyosho Axxe or Sand Master at around 159usd. I've since looked at other options and it seems the Dirt Hog at 206usd is slightly better with it's waterproof servo and speed controlller. No road cars within that price range available locally but buggies seem nice.
Here's link to a thread I started on the electric forum with questions, in case you want to have a look:https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/help-me-choose-noob-warning.111564/

Anyway, back to my nitro issue, it seems I have a line on some air filters. I've found shops selling nitro but all the sell is 25%. I don't know why that is, but it may have something to do with the fact none of them sell cars or have support for cars and instead mostly sell helicopters.

Will 25 break my engine? I know some of you suggested 15-20% because it's an older engine and I don't remember if i really ever broke it in properly only having played with it a total of three times.

Also, the shop that sells the air filters don't sell filter oil. Any suggestions on what I can use to substitute for it?

Make sure that the fuel is for cars and not helicopters.

Anyway, back to my nitro issue, it seems I have a line on some air filters. I've found shops selling nitro but all the sell is 25%. I don't know why that is, but it may have something to do with the fact none of them sell cars or have support for cars and instead mostly sell helicopters.

Also, the shop that sells the air filters don't sell filter oil. Any suggestions on what I can use to substitute for it?