Restoration Project #8 - Huge Bundle of HPI, Kyosho and HSP.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll want a Kyosho pilot shaft NT024. This will allow you to use 2 shoes of the 3 piece clutch with the stock flywheel, much like a stock FW-06.

2 is plenty since those are 1/8th clutches.

I too grew sick of the half-moon clutches and upgraded the whole fleet to "shoe" style clutches. I find they also make it easier to tune engines that like to idle a little high, since I'm not fighting drag from the clutch.

BTW, I've started my plane journey, joined the local club and started building my first nitro plane.
Man, why wouldn't you let me know you are a rookie pilot?
That's such great news!

So do you mean, use the stock VX18 flywheel and just get a Kyosho pilot nut in order to use the clutch shoes I just got?

Which plane are you building? Maybe a new thread about this in the plane section would be appropriate?

Heres my first nitro build completed....

Last edited:
So do you mean, use the stock VX18 flywheel and just get a Kyosho pilot nut in order to use the clutch shoes I just got?

Yeah, that's the only way I can think of to get that style of clutch onto a threaded-shaft engine.

I'm not quite far enough along to post about the planes yet, by "build" I mean "buy all the parts" - I'm still learning with a buddy-box at my local field, but I've got an Avistar Elite and an OS .46 AX II still in their boxes, while I gather the different starter gear / fuel / skills required for air.

I'll definitely be posting as my journey progresses, I eventually want to get a 4-stroke for the sound, and also a 'small' nitro plane with a .15 or something.

Part of me wonders, if you chopped down the head on a VX-18, how suitable would it be as a plane engine? It's already got the crankshaft for it, just need a plane muffler & maybe a carb swap. Would be one of the cheapest ones out there, could even make a 2-engine plane for cheap.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the only way I can think of to get that style of clutch onto a threaded-shaft engine.

I'm not quite far enough along to post about the planes yet, by "build" I mean "buy all the parts" - I'm still learning with a buddy-box at my local field, but I've got an Avistar Elite and an OS .46 AX II still in their boxes, while I gather the different starter gear / fuel / skills required for air.

I'll definitely be posting as my journey progresses, I eventually want to get a 4-stroke for the sound, and also a 'small' nitro plane with a .15 or something.

Part of me wonders, if you chopped down the head on a VX-18, how suitable would it be as a plane engine? It's already got the crankshaft for it, just need a plane muffler & maybe a carb swap. Would be one of the cheapest ones out there, could even make a 2-engine plane for cheap.

I don't know where to start, I have quite a few planes so far, on some I am working simultaneously, as the parts come in.
Same as nitro cars, I try not to miss out on any good deals out there and just keep buying.
Initially I wanted 90% of my planes to be electric, but its the other way around, most are nitro's.
I too am on the hunt all he time for small scale nitro planes, basically park flyers but there are not easy to find, I believe they call them 1/2A planes, which still to this day I don't know why?

I own one 4 stroke at the moment, its an ASP 90 installed on a Japanese dive bomber plane. Yet to fire it up.
Fallen in love with older small (.10 - .25) 70's and onward OS plain bushing engines, they are so easy to tune and run great.
I have quite a few in my collection now, in different sizes.

I am not sure about the VX18, I don't think that engine would cope well if kept at top RPM for longer than 5-10 seconds.

Its better I make a thread for us in the planes section, so we can do some idea exchanges.

BTW, AX series engines are very nice, prob top of the range stuff, it will serve you well.

I am currently training at the club on a hobby zone glass air sportsman while I get my fleet of WW2 birds ready.

What are you training on and how often? How far are you into the training.

Sorry, I guess my cross-post didn't send you a notification -I tried to make my reply here. I should've said something in this thread.

I've been practicing with Phoenix Sim, big help for sure.

Last edited:
Back