rebuilding Sportwerks .26 Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrost

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
what do you need to rebuild a Sportwerks .26. he said its had 20 tanks run through and its sometimes hard to keep running so I'm thinking i'll just spend the money and rebuild it. what do you need to rebuild a motor everything or will just a piston sleeve do. or do you need the rod bearing that sort. or am i better off just buying a new mill for it. a mayhem.

any input would be great. spending for a new mill is about 100 to 150. and its for bashing

Last edited:
I came here looking for the same information you did and did a search to get the following results and it seems a new piston/sleeve is the most common way to go. I have a Sirio I bought from someone and it looks like it is DOA so a new sleeve/piston is going to cost me about $125 so I am not sure if I would be better off just buying something new which seems to be a big dilemma in many of the threads I have read.

well on ebay they sell them for about 70.00 it includes the piston sleeve and con rod so i think i'll go that way

Well if he does only have 20 tanks on it, and it's starting to die, a new piston/sleeve will likely be fine. I had about 3 rebuilds on my crappy little hpi 15fe and all I did was replace the piston/sleeve. And Only after 2 years, did I break a con-rod, and it was a tiny, thin little cast POS anyway...

i would say to dissamble the engine first and check the crankshaft for scaring before you buy the p/s ....where did you buy the engine. did you know him or is it a ebay "20 tanks thru" engine

I'm buying the mayhem from a friend of vbgagnon so he should be a good guy to buy from

A rebuild after only 20 tanks??

That motor should just be getting to power??!!

I dont know how, but the back plate on my Mayhem's engine backed out. All the way out. Like falling in my hand out. I have the RTR version. The engine seemed to quit instantly, so I dont feel there is any damage to the piston/sleeve. I would like to totally disassemble the engine to give it a thorough cleaning so as to be certain there is no dirt left inside. I've been able to get it all apart, except for getting the crank, rod and piston apart.

How does the rod come off that little pin that is part of the crank?

Should I even worry about breaking it down this far?

Would simply flushing the crank case repeatedly until most of the dirt has been removed?