Redcat Earthquake 3.5 wont start, please help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonik801

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm not sure what else to do here this car wont start or even try to. I put the hsn at flush and then 2.5 turns in, I tried all sorts of different settings with the idle/lsn. I know its gettting fuel because its coming out the exhaust. I pulled out the glowplug and tested it with my ignitior and it smokes the fuel thats on it. I'm thinking it has to be compression is what its missing. Should I try new glow plugs first? where can i buy a new piston and ring set or just ring set if thats what will fix the compression issue. Is there a way to test the compression like a compression checker with a dirt bike? Thanks guys.

Also what glow plug should I buy? And the ignitor has a spot for a battery does it need to be a rechargeable battery?

So I'm not sure what else to do here this car wont start or even try to. I put the hsn at flush and then 2.5 turns in, I tried all sorts of different settings with the idle/lsn. I know its gettting fuel because its coming out the exhaust. I pulled out the glowplug and tested it with my ignitior and it smokes the fuel thats on it. I'm thinking it has to be compression is what its missing. Should I try new glow plugs first? where can i buy a new piston and ring set or just ring set if thats what will fix the compression issue. Is there a way to test the compression like a compression checker with a dirt bike? Thanks guys.

Also what glow plug should I buy? And the ignitor has a spot for a battery does it need to be a rechargeable battery?
Do feel resistance when turning flywheel? If u have compression u need only air, spark and a fart in the wind to create combustion, also fuel lol. Otherwise, is this a SH 21?

Ill try it out when I get home, thanks for the reply

this is the flywheel right

earthquake1.jpg

Last edited:
I rotated that and it goes easy to a little harder just when piston goes up. I tried adjusting lane or idle screw and the barrel inside carb doesn’t move any

IMG_0256.jpeg

Ill try it out when I get home, thanks for the reply

this is the flywheel right

View attachment 175756
Spur gear, remove engine from truck. Tje flywheel is behind the clutch bell. It’s where the clutch rests on the posts
I rotated that and it goes easy to a little harder just when piston goes up. I tried adjusting lane or idle screw and the barrel inside carb doesn’t move any

View attachment 175777
That’s what they call the “pinch” u should feel resistance especially when cold, if the engine rotates too easily then when hot it essentially has zero pinch. There’s mechanical pinch and just pinch. The 2 are different. A lot of engines have no pinch, they use the plug in as their compression

I pulled the glow plug and it was not that bright it just barely was orange

I swapped the glow plug and it will only start if I got it almost wot but it atleast starts. I put throttle gap at about a paper clip thickness. I put hsn all the way in then out 2.5 turns and the lane looks flush to me but it still will not idle. It will only start with a lot of throttle and clutch engages and I slowly turn it down but it just dies. It’s really hard to tell if lsn is flush. How many turns from all the way in should it be?

My suggestion is first take the carburetor apart and clean it out, make sure nothing is stuck. The LSN can be opened a bit more to make sure fuel is coming thru with the throttle open just a bit when you prime it.