Race Worthy Savage Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have plastic bags to put on the tires to keep them from getting dirty

Thats the funniest thing I have read today lmfao!

Looks great Joey keep it up!

Looks awesome. I'm not sure why I never really looked. At this thread.

Right now the only real thing I am waiting on it the linkages to show up. I have two HV servos installed now so I can run a 2s lipo with out damage. I have a few minor this to do such as shim the rear hubs...they wobble a little more than I would like. Pretty much as soon as i get the linkages I can get it all going. I am going back with heli linkages like I did with my last Savage build. Zero slop in that stuff. This basically what i am looking to do again on this one for the linkages.
DSCN0275.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

The new one will be a little differnt but I will use the same concept with the linkages. What I like so much about the bearing ball ends is zero friction and they don't bind....they just plain work....period. I can't wait to get the reast of the stuff in so I can finish this project up though.

Wow... I am going to stir up some dirt knocking the dust off of this thread....... So I have the next thing I am going to do to this bad boy.... anyone wanna guess what it is?

E2EBB0F1_zps7368bd6e.jpg

Here are the parts I will be using.......

60a94c3a-246e-4a49-9307-9c47c6b1b309_zps312e8f6e.jpg

There are a couple guys here that will know what this is for.... SV250 will for sure.... it is his mod I am pirating....

I have another Picco with Robin at ERCM so I am going to have to upgrade the transmission. I am going to do the BP tranny mod that SV250 came up with. I know Dream has really good luck with it too.

Yep, parts for the BP tranny mod. I've done three of them in the last couple weeks.

Great build there amigo!

Glad to see you got the steel gear. The titanium gears wear and leave fine metal dust all over the inside of the case. My three BP trannys have probably 15+ gallons thru them and the ones with the steel gear looks brand new. The only thing that lets go over time is the owb and the clutch pawls on the 2nd and 3rd gears. But that's a lot of fuel were talkin about.

Is there a right up here on how to do the BP tranny mod?
Yes I will be doing one as a sticky for here on RCNT but DreamMachine and SV250 also did one on other sites as well. I will do it as a separate thread. I am getting pictures together right now as I am doing it. SV250 really did a good job on the mod an Dreammachine refined it a bit making it one of the best mods if you have a highpower modded engine. I am getting the Extreme mod done on the engine this time, in the past it was the Race mod. The added power is going to break stuff if I don't beef it up.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE BP TRANNY THREAD

---------- Post added at 1:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:17 PM ----------

Glad to see you got the steel gear. The titanium gears wear and leave fine metal dust all over the inside of the case. My three BP trannys have probably 15+ gallons thru them and the ones with the steel gear looks brand new. The only thing that lets go over time is the owb and the clutch pawls on the 2nd and 3rd gears. But that's a lot of fuel were talkin about.
Yeah I figured the steel was the way to go. I know the Ti is lighter but....ehh... for the money I will stick with the steel.

Last edited:
I hear ya, I choose steel cause I blew up two BP trannys before I found the steel or TI gears lol. If it wasn't for my speed quest I probably would not have tried the ti 1st gear. The trannys can take the raw power of the strongest Piccos robin can make. Plus figure in all the insane high speed crashes and the tranny still hangs in there. Speaks volumes to the creativeness of one individual (Jimmy). Still a firm believer that the BP 3spd is the best mod for the savage.

I had tried to make a version of it in the past and just did not think outside the box enough. I got it to work now and the gear mesh is perfect. Had to do a little extra modding but all good now.

That thing is lookin sweet man. I have to get my brother to check it out. He is a hardcore savage guy. Think I got both my brothers talked into gettin back into the hobby and maybe my nephew, we could always need a few more Nitro guys out there.:D

Ok I was having some drive line binding issues and after checking both diffs I realized I had overlooked the engine plate rubbing on the center/rear driveshaft. I ended up having to notch the plate to give clearance. This ultra low CG chassis is indeed ultra low. Heck the normal engine plate would not even fit in there without riding on the drive shaft even worse.

IMG_9049_zps9fc56957.jpg

Here is something else I realized and though was a little strange; in this chassis the gearbox actually sits a little lower than the diffs. Considering the gearbox is the second heaviest item in the truck the lower stance should offer a better balance. I am on the ropes of going ahead and making this one a center tank as well. Only problem is fueling with the body on the truck with the center tank mod.

IMG_9056_zpsce7704f1.jpg

Last edited: