Questions on good race friendly options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong, I do like trucks too. One of the main reason I has the Slayer/Slash and S-Maxx. Still sad how I lost all my RC's. They were all on their way back from germany on a pallete. For some reason, they put my stuff into 2 pallets instead of one. Well, there was a fire and one of mine was destroyed. Lost a bunch of clothes and military gear, and my RC's.

Anyways, the good news is I couldn't wait any longer and hit the Hobby Town near my work and snagged the black mini-b. I got home, took the battery out and stuck it on the charger while i watch hockey. My cats keep staring at it...if only they knew what was coming...

Attachments

• 20220101_191650.jpg
    20220101_191650.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 67
So there was a slight change in plans when I got to Hobby Town with the wife. I somehow talked her into getting a small rc to play together haha. So i got 2 of the Axial SX24 offroad vehicles for small scale fun in our apartment!

This was not only amusimg that she agreed, but now I can dream of a small scale course to build from a hobby store. Ill get pics of the RC's whenever we get home. We are going to a hockey game for her birthday.

Very cool on both accounts @Senistr , my wife and I love our 24s and can't wait to go camping with them.
We also head to Boise at least once a year and get a hotel room and attend a Idaho Steelheads hockey game. Fun times...

Very cool on both accounts @Senistr , my wife and I love our 24s and can't wait to go camping with them.
We also head to Boise at least once a year and get a hotel room and attend a Idaho Steelheads hockey game. Fun times...
OMG, my wife and I just had a chuckle to this. We are Allen American fans and we are heasing to the game tonight, in which, Allen plays Idaho!
Welcome to the SCX24 club 😉
Haha thank you. I'm going to get some paper mache stuff to build a few things to for fun in our apartment, which i guess can be taken anywhere. Not sure if i want to try and glue anything to them for better grip/visuals

OMG, my wife and I just had a chuckle to this. We are Allen American fans and we are heasing to the game tonight, in which, Allen plays Idaho!

Haha thank you. I'm going to get some paper mache stuff to build a few things to for fun in our apartment, which i guess can be taken anywhere. Not sure if i want to try and glue anything to them for better grip/visuals
Now that's cool lol. Best of luck....

Now that's cool lol. Best of luck....
Just for you haha.

I forgot these things were crawlers. I thought they were off road racers. I am still going to make paper mache obstacles though, maybe a small mountain and stuff. Will be a fun craft to do.

Attachments

• 20220102_160800.jpg
    20220102_160800.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 56
Just for you haha.

I forgot these things were crawlers. I thought they were off road racers. I am still going to make paper mache obstacles though, maybe a small mountain and stuff. Will be a fun craft to do.
You could turn them into rock bouncers!

This is my rock bouncer and it's 1/10 scale. She is an Axial Bomber with a killer Tekin system. A ton of money was put into this one but
I can't claim the work as being mine. I just added some cosmetic detail stuff like the roof guard, screens, stuff like that.

IMG_1243.JPG

Ahh ok. I know what those are, just never heard of them as rock bouncers. If I do try to do one of those, i might need a 2nd one to outfit. Unless my wife wants to do it together with ours. But that would be hella cool to play with in my bearded dragons tanks since i have lava rocks and stuff in it.

Ahh ok. I know what those are, just never heard of them as rock bouncers. If I do try to do one of those, i might need a 2nd one to outfit. Unless my wife wants to do it together with ours. But that would be hella cool to play with in my bearded dragons tanks since i have lava rocks and stuff in it.
Those poor dragons lol. There is a guy selling some really nice 3d printed cage designs on Shapeways and some of the other 3d printing farms out there. Outside of that, check out littleguyracing.com and moforc.com for some cool custom stuff for building a wild 24. You would need a faster motor and steeper pinion to turn it into an all out bouncer, but it has been done on these trucks. It just depends on how wild you want to go, how much modding you care to do, and how heavy your wallet is 😉

Those poor dragons lol. There is a guy selling some really nice 3d printed cage designs on Shapeways and some of the other 3d printing farms out there. Outside of that, check out littleguyracing.com and moforc.com for some cool custom stuff for building a wild 24. You would need a faster motor and steeper pinion to turn it into an all out bouncer, but it has been done on these trucks. It just depends on how wild you want to go, how much modding you care to do, and how heavy your wallet is 😉
Haha yeah I rember the mod scene. My original Slayer had an upgraded ECU with sway bars, swapped out tranny gears and everything.

On the plus side, i just picked up 8 pounds of plaster and some foam board. 4 smaller precut boards and one larger for a mointain/tunnel piece. I'm also thinking of swinging by Home Depot for some lava rock to put down in areas. I also got some brown earth tone paint to paint it up a little. Like they say, go big or go home! Oh, and some wooden dowel rods for a rumble strip type section. I figured i can put it in the plaster to make articulation type bumps for different degrees and difficulty.

By no means am I a full artsu guy, but i do love off roading since I use to do a bit myself.

Attachments

• 20161210_132040.jpg
    20161210_132040.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 59
  • 20150711_124204.jpg
    20150711_124204.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20161210_135353.jpg
    20161210_135353.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 59
Hello,
I use to play around with RC cars around 12 years ago when the Slash and Slayer were first released but have not done anything in years. I helped a coworker find a cheap RC option for his little brother but now we are trying to find something decent for ourselves. My initial thought was going the Kyosho Mini Z route but here in Dallas, there are no more tracks and the options for them are beyond limited. So I went back to the drawing board.

I notices there was still a indoor offroad shop near me that is set up for 1/10 and 1/8 RC's and I started thinking of something that would be good on there as well as maybe in a small field or loose dirt options. As I was searching, I found another shop not terribly far that has a indoor carpet off road track. This led me to look at the Losi Mini-B which I have always heard really good things about and can be driven on the carpet track, but they also let 1/10 scale's there too.

So, with that in mind, I started looking at cheap to midrange 1/10 - 1/8 scales to consider that I could use on both the carpet and the dirt. After a lot of digging, and a lot of answers that haven't been able to be found, I am kind of at a dead still and hope someone can help me out. I've always lurked this forum so i figured i'd take a stab at the dark.

Here are the few RC's I have looked at -

Team Associated RB10 RTR
Traxxas Bandit
Arrma Typhon 550 Mega RTR

I am not sure of how good Tamiya is since they seem to be real cheap and I am afraid of constant repairs or major upgrades needing, and Kyosho things in nature seem to be limited because of where they are mainly locating. I know Losi is another good brand, but their stuff is a bit more expensive as well. So please, if you have any thoughts, please share with me. I wouldn't mind trying to find a noob to intermittent class to possibly race just for fun, but also don't want to be 3 laps behind first on a 5 lap race.
Hi, for a cheap option there is the ftx vantage Brushless ( might be under a different brand name in America) that is 10th scale 4wd for 200£