Questions on good race friendly options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senistr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hello,
I use to play around with RC cars around 12 years ago when the Slash and Slayer were first released but have not done anything in years. I helped a coworker find a cheap RC option for his little brother but now we are trying to find something decent for ourselves. My initial thought was going the Kyosho Mini Z route but here in Dallas, there are no more tracks and the options for them are beyond limited. So I went back to the drawing board.

I notices there was still a indoor offroad shop near me that is set up for 1/10 and 1/8 RC's and I started thinking of something that would be good on there as well as maybe in a small field or loose dirt options. As I was searching, I found another shop not terribly far that has a indoor carpet off road track. This led me to look at the Losi Mini-B which I have always heard really good things about and can be driven on the carpet track, but they also let 1/10 scale's there too.

So, with that in mind, I started looking at cheap to midrange 1/10 - 1/8 scales to consider that I could use on both the carpet and the dirt. After a lot of digging, and a lot of answers that haven't been able to be found, I am kind of at a dead still and hope someone can help me out. I've always lurked this forum so i figured i'd take a stab at the dark.

Here are the few RC's I have looked at -

Team Associated RB10 RTR
Traxxas Bandit
Arrma Typhon 550 Mega RTR

I am not sure of how good Tamiya is since they seem to be real cheap and I am afraid of constant repairs or major upgrades needing, and Kyosho things in nature seem to be limited because of where they are mainly locating. I know Losi is another good brand, but their stuff is a bit more expensive as well. So please, if you have any thoughts, please share with me. I wouldn't mind trying to find a noob to intermittent class to possibly race just for fun, but also don't want to be 3 laps behind first on a 5 lap race.

Welcome in @Senistr , out of the three, the Team Associated RB10 is a far better choice but keep in mind, with the RTR be prepared to replace parts.
I'm not saying RTR is a bad thing, but mods are definitely needed.
Usually, a RTR version of cars, they are manufactured with cheaper parts.
The Bandit is pretty much a Traxxas entry level car and wouldn't be ideal for racing. You can race it, with several mods but I wouldn't expect too many trips to the winners circle...;)
The Arrma Typhon 550 Mega would be a terrible choice also. I have one. Out of the box they are slow and it don't take much to break them.
The 550 Mega is a brushed version and the motors burn up easy. Mine is modded run up to 4s but I keep it at 2s with a brushless system.

Welcome in @Senistr , out of the three, the Team Associated RB10 is a far better choice but keep in mind, with the RTR be prepared to replace parts.
I'm not saying RTR is a bad thing, but mods are definitely needed.
Usually, a RTR version of cars, they are manufactured with cheaper parts.
The Bandit is pretty much a Traxxas entry level car and wouldn't be ideal for racing.
The Arrma Typhon 550 Mega would be a terrible choice also. I have one. Out of the box they are slow and it don't take much to break them.
Thank you for the quick reply. And I do agree with Traxxas being a more entry level brand, their are hundreds around these parts because of a Traxxas store near by. I owned the Slash, Slayer, and an S-Maxx which I had great fun with, but never raced.

I only looked at the Arrma because that's what my coworker got for his little brother and they had a lot of fun with it, but they seem to be more for bashing.

I enjoy the RTR because, as you say, the pieces break so it's a good justification for me to replace the broken part/s with better options as I relearn everything for it haha. I am use to tiny screws and wires since i've been an IT Professional for 15+ years, just trying to find a good value.

Is there another option that you would suggest for around the same pricing of the RB10 or would that just be the best bang for my buck so to speak.

Welcome to the forum!

The Typhon is good, but skip the Mega and go 3s or 6s, the Mega line is terrible right out of the box and doesn’t allow adjustment for toe and camber. With the Typhon 3s, you will need metal pivot balls as the stock plastic ones wear quickly and become sloppy.

The Bandit is overpriced garbage, it also isn't set up for racing or anything, if you look at it wrong, it breaks.

Not sure about the RB10.

Welcome to RCT bud..

Do you know or or heard about the guy MARK from "MSM"? Down by Houston area. In Texas. Hus sons and him self race mini z's out there he's on YT. Check him out and hit him up he's a cool dude.. and let you know of any mini z races in that area..

Thank you for the quick reply. And I do agree with Traxxas being a more entry level brand, their are hundreds around these parts because of a Traxxas store near by. I owned the Slash, Slayer, and an S-Maxx which I had great fun with, but never raced.

I only looked at the Arrma because that's what my coworker got for his little brother and they had a lot of fun with it, but they seem to be more for bashing.

I enjoy the RTR because, as you say, the pieces break so it's a good justification for me to replace the broken part/s with better options as I relearn everything for it haha. I am use to tiny screws and wires since i've been an IT Professional for 15+ years, just trying to find a good value.

Is there another option that you would suggest for around the same pricing of the RB10 or would that just be the best bang for my buck so to speak.
Traxxas is an awesome hobby grade brand but the Bandit is entry level car and is pretty much only good to get a kid interested in RCs.
The 3s and 6s Arrma buggies are a great rig also, like @pug mentioned.
One thing you might check out is, take a look at a few racing videos and pay attention to the manufacture banners hung up around the tracks.
That gives you an idea what is a good racing manufacturer.

Welcome to RCT bud..

Do you know or or heard about the guy MARK from "MSM"? Down by Houston area. In Texas. Hus sons and him self race mini z's out there he's on YT. Check him out and hit him up he's a cool dude.. and let you know of any mini z races in that area..
I have actually watched a LOT of his video's and he is actually up in McKinney, right outside of Dallas where I am. One of the "tracks" he went to actually closed with the shop at the end of July, which leaves 2 in the area close by. He has visited both and that is how I found out about the carpeted track was because of his video. And the track that closed was the mini Z track =\
Traxxas is an awesome hobby grade brand but the Bandit is entry level car and is pretty much only good to get a kid interested in RCs.
The 3s and 6s Arrma buggies are a great rig also, like @pug mentioned.
One thing you might check out is, take a look at a few racing videos and pay attention to the manufacture banners hung up around the tracks.
That gives you an idea what is a good racing manufacturer.
Funny enough, the local track that is in my area pretty much runs the same things as 12 years ago. All of the normal brands didn't change, besides Kyosho going downhill some. But Team Associated, Losi, Tekno (albeit newer I believe) and the others are still apparent.

Matter of fact, when the Slayer came out, they already made it a racing class before the Slash was released. I bashed both, but back them, the Slayer would roll over if you looked at it until you got the Traxxas sway bar kit to put in it. And the Slash, well, it was a fun toyish like car.

I honestly haven't seen too many Traxxas and Arrma banners hanging around a race track in a professional setting. But the manufacturers you mentioned definitely do.
LHSs hang them but they are advertising what they are trying to sell. Top of the line manufacturer banners are hung in a more professional racing track.
Not that they are not capable, they just lean towards the hobby grade rig.
I don't race nor do I every plan to but I do research and watch all the races on youtube.
I hope you get into the racing scene and your choice is a good one. Have fun with it...:)

Last edited:
I have actually watched a LOT of his video's and he is actually up in McKinney, right outside of Dallas where I am. One of the "tracks" he went to actually closed with the shop at the end of July, which leaves 2 in the area close by. He has visited both and that is how I found out about the carpeted track was because of his video. And the track that closed was the mini Z track =\

Funny enough, the local track that is in my area pretty much runs the same things as 12 years ago. All of the normal brands didn't change, besides Kyosho going downhill some. But Team Associated, Losi, Tekno (albeit newer I believe) and the others are still apparent.

Matter of fact, when the Slayer came out, they already made it a racing class before the Slash was released. I bashed both, but back them, the Slayer would roll over if you looked at it until you got the Traxxas sway bar kit to put in it. And the Slash, well, it was a fun toyish like car.
Oh dam man. That's horrible. He is actually starting to sponsor racers. For a good racer buggy they are pretty expensive tekno,mugen, kyosho, team associated, losi.. but losi, team associated, arrma are good starter platforms to look..
Marks a cool dude I chat with him once a month or so. If you hit him up on his channel he will get back to you... he might be able to point you in a good direction out in Texas bud...
I honestly haven's seen too many Traxxas and Arrma banners hanging around a race track but the manufacturers you mentioned definitely do.
Not that they are not capable, they just lean towards the hobby grade rig.
I don't race nor do I every plan to but I do research and watch all the races on youtube.
Yeah traxxas and arrma aren't really into the race seen. They are mostly your back yard race and bash companies. But still very good companies. Especially for starting out they won't hurt your wallet to much😉🤣🤣

The hobby grade makes it easy for idiots like me to work on...;)

The hobby grade makes it easy for idiots like me to work on...;)
Haha. BTW, thank you for your service. Where were you deployed to? I spent 15 months in Baghdad.

Also, to Stoner, it does suck. The shop in question was the one he did a few good Mini Z track races with his sons and the local meets. Unfortunately, my job has me working 12 hour shifts Thur-Sat so it's hard to do a lot of things, like even get to a hobby shop before they close.

There is 1 Hobby Town store nearby that has the RB10 in store at least. The mini-b shouldnt be too hard to find there as well.

Thank you and thank you for your service. I was in the Army in the early 80s and stationed in Germany.
Nothing special but my duty was far from glorious.

Thank you and thank you for your service. I was in the Army in the early 80s and stationed in Germany.
Nothing special but my duty was far from glorious.
Thank you as well. Where at in Germany? I was stationed in Mannheim for 2 years as well haha. Mine wasn't too special either, I am just your IT grunt (S6) in the US Army from 05 - 13.

I was stationed in Münster. Munition's storage facility but long shut down now. I was only in for 3 years active. I did the Three active, three inactive option back then.
I also served at Fort Ritchie Md. which was awesome duty. I was the post commander's driver and drove school bus for the military kids and also tour bus on weekends.

Last edited:
There is 1 Hobby Town store nearby that has the RB10 in store at least. The mini-b shouldnt be too hard to find there as well.
Oh I love hobby town. Is that the one mark did his Christmas video from if so I'm jealous that place has tons of kits.. I was just at my hobby town the other day they rapped my wallet.😉🤣🤣🤣

Oh I love hobby town. Is that the one mark did his Christmas video from if so I'm jealous that place has tons of kits.. I was just at my hobby town the other day they rapped my wallet.😉🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, Hobby Town USA. There are a few in the DFW Metroplex with 1 being about 10 minutes from my work, and another being within 10 minutes of my home haha. They always have giant stockpiles of cars, and you do see a LOT of Tamiya, Traxxas, and Arrma around. Sometimes, it feels like trying to find the other brands are headache inducing. Doesn't help that most of them are Traxxas sponsored and authorized repair shops. I am not sure which Hobby Town that he went to though.

Yea for the most part. Everything is traxxas arrma and tamiya. Any other kit needs to be bought of the web
Unfortunately

I made a few phone calls today to the places that were open. The Hobby Town close to my house has a RB10 and a Losi Mini-B but they close in a hour and i am on my 10th hour of 12. But, at least I can try to sneak there tomorrow so the wife doesn't see how much I am going to spend getting both and maybe a few other things.

I am just not so sure on Tamiya to try and snag one. From what I remember, they were really cheap, slow, sloppy, and heavy. Reminds me of myself after turkey day now that I think of it...

Bandit. Put aside a bit more to make it sorted and spares.

Its an ancient platform

I loved my shi..ty ecx boost more

Tamiya is a classic but not a racer for sure. I got a few that I'm doing BL conversion on. Their slow because of the crap brushed motor they come with.. but put a BL in them and they got some kick..

The RB10 is going to be your racer. The mini b will be the take anywhere have fun with car. I got the 1/16 revo and I love that little bastard..
I'm more of a truck guy then buggies

Back