Question for the 1:1 car guys....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
Last night I was watching the Corvette episode of Overhauling on TLC. I think this was their best car transformation yet. The engine was roached and they asked for a favor and managed to get a free Edelbrock crate engine. I was curious as to what a "crate engine" is? That was the first time I've ever heard of that term. A Google search shows all sorts of crate engines by different companies but no definition of what the difference is between a crate engine and a normal engine. :confused:

A "crate engine" is just another term for a new engine, fully assembled. Mainly because when it's sent to you it's in a crate.

Its basically a replacment engine for a car or truck. They are gennerally a High Performance engine. They have everything just add fuel and spark. Hence the name "crate".

A Crate engine is just that, I new engine delivered **from the factory in a crate.
You can get what they call a long block or a short block.
A long block includes everything you need to just drop the engine in. A short block is the block and all the internals. You need to supply the heads, intake, water pump, and everything else that bolts on.

This is my understanding of the term Crate Engine. If I'm wrong please let me know.

**Is a crate engine only an engine built by the factory or can it be built by a 3rd party? This I'm totally unsure of.

Last edited:
Eddy,

"Crate engine" is just the general term for any new engine purchase whether it be high performance, stock replacement, factory or third party replacement.

yes.. in a crate... usually a wood one. Usually brown. Have seen some crates/boxes painted black (why? who knows) Sometimes referred to as a "Boxed Engine"

As you all know an engine is made up of tons of different parts that all have to be put together with precise tolerances and mucho mechanical know how. Even the best mechanics take a looooong time putting an engine together to make sure everything is just right. SO, if you dont have the desire or the need to put one together yourself its is much easier to buy the "Crate Engine". This way all you have to do is to install it into the car without having to build it.

Sort of like our RC engines. They are pre-built from the manufacturer so that we dont have to.

So do we need to call our RC engines "Box" engines or in come cases a "Canned" Engine? :smoke:

Back