Father-Son 1:1 Mustang GT Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we put the trans back in where it belongs! Now it's time to get the engine work done. All the parts are waiting,just gotta get the work done :)

ddj05l.jpg

2sailqa.jpg

I can't,it's not here yet. I just found out yesterday that WoodiE didn't have my addess so he could ship it.
No problem, Randy. I'll give him mine so he can send the Yeti to me.

OOps, I noticed a missing O-ring inside the trans.

Hey now,don't start that crap! I have enough second guess thoughts in my head about things as it is. Between extra parts in the kit and me having 2 transmissions apart at the same time............ I think I need to start over LOL

Ooh, ow. Sooooo much worse that I thought. It's been awhile since I've been inside one of those things, so I lost track.

No it was - 5 Ooo-rings,4 needle bearings,3 lip seals,2 pressure plates and clutch pack in drum assembly
Ooo. Don't needle me even though I'm bearing up under the strain. My lips are sealed even under this pressure. No need to drum it into me in a clutch. I'll just pack it in.

Ooh, ow. Sooooo much worse that I thought. It's been awhile since I've been inside one of those things, so I lost track.

Ooo. Don't needle me even though I'm bearing up under the strain. My lips are sealed even under this pressure. No need to drum it into me in a clutch. I'll just pack it in.
You're AWESOME @Rolex!!!!!!!!

UPDATE TIME AGAIN!

Time is flying by and I just can't keep up. We've got a lot done on the car but I haven't had enough time to sort the pics so I can update you. Finally here is some updates.

With the trans all taken care of it's time to get back to the engine problems. If you remember in the first posts,I had taken the top end apart trying to locate a ticking noise. It wasn't the easy items so we had to dig deeper to get to the lifters. I have to give Ford some credit here,this is the first engine I could get the timing cover off while leaving all of the accessories in place. If you notice in this pic the alt.,a/c,ps and smog pump are all still bolted in place.

5x7tqx.jpg

Everything came apart fairly easily except one water pump broke on me.

2dw50ft.jpg

16bc85g.jpg

Since we were digging so deep any way I decided to do a cam swap too. Also the timing chain was a bit loose so I replaced it with a gear drive timing set.

140esgp.jpg

2hzssw6.jpg

34j7tzn.jpg

Going back together I ran into a slight problem. The front cover had an oil diverting ledge cast on it which with a chain was no problem,it fit between the gears and chain. But the gear drive has the transfer and idler gears in the way. I used a grinder and cut/blended the ledge off.

2eojo03.jpg

35b9vyq.jpg

Of course I am cleaning/painting and making everything look nice while reassembling it. My son gets impatient about this but I tell him if we are going to do it,we are doing it right! Another thing I did to the balancer was to paint the timing marks with white paint so setting the timing would be easier to see. Then to finish the front assembly I bought a new water pump and all new bolts.

2ed093t.jpg

23vf5mw.jpg

Next up was to install the new lifters,push rods and rocker arms. Luckily the car already had the nice heavy duty reusable valve cover gaskets. so we cleaned and installed the covers.

2lcpwmp.jpg

While cleaning parts I got a pleasant surprise with the distributor. I picked it up and turned it around to discover the tag saying it was an MSD Pro Billet unit. $300 bonus! Of course it got a cleaning and rebuilding like everything else. I also had to replace all the seals and caps on the injectors. Then it was more assembly time.

28uphcp.jpg

jv2pfr.jpg

rhq3qc.jpg

24uyw5z.jpg

2s8llbn.jpg

And finally for now,I cleaned and installed the headers. They are BBK shorty units which aren't my favorites. I will swap them for some full long tubes later when $$ allows. I did however splurge for aluminum gaskets and Stage8 bolts/locks. I wouldn't normally spend $50 for bolts but I hate header leaks and these are the best way to eliminate them.

nwd1k1.jpg

9astut.jpg

Well that gets you caught up to last weekend. I will get the pics sorted and ready soon and catch you up to what we did today! Hint, zoom zoom!

Last edited:
Stage 8 bolts are the way to go from everything I've heard.

Finally,Ready to Run!!!

This whole project has been taking longer and costing more than I expected but that's about how all of my projects seem to go. It's time to finish up this part of the project and get her rolling down the road! The only big hurdle left,is to hope the new radiator fits like it is supposed to. I have read a lot of bad reviews on some aluminum radiators but I wanted something a little better than stock. After some checking around I found a fairly inexpensive one on eBay but I couldn't find any reviews on it. I decided to go with it anyway. The company is j2 engineering. I ordered it and it arrived quick. I was surprised by the extra large box,it was huge. Here is the radiator sitting in front of the box and there was a cardboard box around that. Looked like I ordered one for a semi!

294tohs.jpg

Everything looked good but the mounting brackets for the fan were bent slightly and needed adjustment. After fixing that,the fan fit good. Then I noticed that the lower transmission cooling line was being blocked by a tab on the fan shroud. Luckily it wasn't bad and I was able to just trim it out of the way.

t6b81u.jpg

25uiipz.jpg

Putting it in the car was tight and close fitting but it went in without modifying anything. I did have to slightly bend the trans lines to align them to the fittings. easy install really. To finish off the cooling system I installed new hoses. These are the blue extreme heat,high-miler by Continental(used to be GoodYear).

14kv6kw.jpg

Finally,the last few things to do were to bolt on the upper intake,connect all the vacuum hoses,throttle linkage and hook up the cold air intake and filter. I painted and then machined the top cover plate for the manifold and also painted the strut tower brace. The brace was covered in red plasti-dip instead of paint. What a pain trying to get that off. Finally ,it's done! The car was filthy so my son gave it a wash and wax,looks fairly nice now.

2zgu59t.jpg

syurnm.jpg

I did the first start with it on the jack stands so I could test the transmission. Had an issue with the distributor to sort out but finally got it running good. The transmission checked all good too. Time to set her on the ground and drive this baby! Here's the money shots,the part you really wanted to see. A short video of our first drive! Hopefully from here on it will be more fun. Fix/tune and test the car and more driving videos. Can't wait to take it down the track! Stay tuned,I will post video when that happens.

View My Video

Wow, VERY cool. Same engine that's in my bad bird, but yours tends to growl a bit more.
Big time congrats on the job.

Back